Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Smile SR9c OWB holster

I'm looking for a holster for my ruger SR9c. Specifically looking for an OWB for open carry. I would also like some sort of active retention, like a thumb break.

Safariland doesn't appear to make one, that was my first choice. I'm on the fence about the serpa as well. It's kind of ugly - was hoping for something more stylish. I would like suggestions about holsters that will fit this specific gun.

'I use a XXXXXX for my glock 19" doesn't help me , so please only post if you know of a holster that fits the SR9c. Fom what I can tell, very few OWB retention holsters actually exist for this gun.

I'm willing to pay the price if I find what I'm looking for.

The closest thing I've found is the desantis mini-slide, but I think I want active retention.. (link)

Thoughts?

Thanks.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: SR9c OWB holster

I bought a leather blackhawk for my sr40c and it has a thumb break I think it is a great holster.

(Centre County)

Try a Bianchi 105 size 13-15. I carry my SR9c in it and have been very pleased. Here is a picture and description. http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...TxtModelID=105
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by VinDyl View Post
    I bought a leather blackhawk for my sr40c and it has a thumb break I think it is a great holster.
    Did you buy the one for the full-size SR40? I don't see one listed specifically for the compact.

(Cumberland County)

Doesn't look too promising, nothing active from Safariland, Bianchi, or even Blackhawk specifically for the SR9c. Now a holster for the full size SR9 might work, but that's your game to play.

Reasons why? Active retention holsters tend to only be made for duty guns. The SR9c really isn't.

Why do you want active retention? I'll be honest it won't make holding onto your gun in a gun grab that much easier. If that's what you're after you should seek some weapons retention training.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by stimrob View Post
    Did you buy the one for the full-size SR40? I don't see one listed specifically for the compact.
    For that holster it shouldn't make any difference - the holster 'contacts' the same parts of both models. The only two differences between the full size and compact are barrel length and magazine, and you can use the full size mag in the C model.

My question is how does the retention system work without a hammer?

I use the Fobus paddle holster but not sure if that qualifies as a retention holster.

(Centre County)

For the Bianchi, it has a leather tab with a O-ring (basically that is what it is), The o-ring goes over the rear of the slide and over the rear sights. It will not fall out and anyone trying to grab would have a heck of a time trying to get it. The size 13-15 fits my SR9c perfectly, whether it is secured or not it stays in place.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Monroe County)

I use the Serpa and am happy with it. I trimmed the bottom off so that the extra inch is not there anymore. I too may be interested in a nicer looking leather holster in the future though.

(Adams County)

I have blackhawk serpa , luv mine ,very happy with mySR9C

If you every change you mind, I would seriously consider the Ruger branded Mitch Ross Holster on their site. If you willing to register your weapon with them you will get 20% off the purchase. I can run, jump, etc with this holster though you lose the benefit of why you would want a rentention. holster. Alll the best my friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast