Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Car purchase coming up. Looking for 1st hand opinions.

Well, I've reached the critical "12-months left" point in my lease (2006 Grand Prix), and need to start thinking of my next vehicle. I want a nicer car than I currently have, so my primary focus is the "Upscale sedan" category, which includes entry level Mercedes/Lexus, Cadillac, Infiniti, BMW 3-Series, etc. Right now I am paying $347/mo, so another $50-$150 per month is what I can afford without cutting into my ability to save the money that I want to save. I have really gotten into the "Pay yourself first" mentality, and I cannot allow a vehicle to cut into that, at all.

As such, I have set a firm limit of $499 per month. That is what my limit is, and I will not exceed it, even by one dollar (and if a salesman wants to lose commission over $1, I don't want to deal with him, anyway). I would prefer low/mid $400's, however. My process is as follows: I will put down $3000 for cap cost reduction, I require 15,000 miles/yr, I would like integrated navigation, premium sound, moonroof (basically, it needs to be well-equipped).

I have the following vehicles on my list, which will most definitely change in the next 12 months. However, these are my "top" picks, showing estimated cost with options as I have obtained via their website. I would appreciate some first hand input from owners/dealers, and your thoughts are welcome. Any cars you have in mind that I have not included are welcome, as well. Thanks!!

Infiniti G35 6MT. ~$415/mo. I like the interior of this car and its performance numbers. It has a great navigation/radio system, and most features are controlled via the screen. This car is my top choice, currently.

Cadillac CTS. ~$440/mo. This has a gorgeous exterior, wonderful interior, but mediocre performance. The horsepower numbers are similar to the Infiniti, however it is heavier and a bit slower. I do not like the "Pop-up" style navigation.

BMW 328i. ~420/mo. The ultimate driving machine. Well, the horsepower numbers are a little low, and the interior is not impressive. You do, however, get BMWs maintenance package, which gives you free oil changes, brakes, tires, etc. All scheduled maintenance is covered for the duration of your lease. Not too shabby BMW, not too shabby.

Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport Sedan. $499/mo. This is in my list primarily because I love the MB brand. It's performance is mediocre, but you cannot beat the luxury MB provides. I'm still up in the air on the new C-Class, and I will have to drive this car before I can decide if it would meet my needs. I'm in love with Benz, but I can't afford "true Mercedes luxury" as offered in vehicles like the S550 ($80,000+) or the E550 ($60,000+).

Lexus ES. $530/mo. This is out of my budget, but I am including it for comparison. I do like the ES, it has a nice look, and a very nice interior. I'm not sure what the bang-for-your-buck factor is with Lexus, but you do get the Toyota backing, which screams of reliability.

Pics of each to follow.
    Last edited by Intrigue; February 11th, 2008 at 04:46 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Car purchase coming up. Looking for 1st hand opinions.

2008 Infiniti G35:

2008 Cadillac CTS:

2008 BMW 328i:

2008 MB C300 Sport:

Lexus ES:

(Philadelphia County)

I am not one for American cars, and don't like the softness of Japanese rebrands, so my choices would be the bmw OR Mercedes. I just turned in an E class, and loved it. It was a great car, very few problems, and fast enough. I had a BMW 530 and an m5. You cannot beat BMW for service and the way they treat you. The cars also drive like a dream. If you can afford it though, you will want to look at the next model up, the dual turbos are very nice.

You may also want to consider the Audi. They are a little more utilitarian, on the interior, than you have been looking for, but once you drive them, you love them

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

(Chester County)

Like handguns - drive them all and see what 'fits' you.

I had a BMW for a while - 5 years. And while I loved it - the constantly degrading PA roads did NOT like it.

I have since moved into the Subaru WRX wagon world - it'll take any new potholes, has a quicker 0-60, and getting it re-aligned costs nothing compared to the BMW.

That said - out of that list - if you were going with a Manual Transmission I'd pick the BMW. If you were going for an auto/tiptronic style transmission, I'd do the Caddy.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExCopInPhilly View Post
    I am not one for American cars, and don't like the softness of Japanese rebrands, so my choices would be the bmw OR Mercedes. I just turned in an E class, and loved it. It was a great car, very few problems, and fast enough. I had a BMW 530 and an m5. You cannot beat BMW for service and the way they treat you. The cars also drive like a dream. If you can afford it though, you will want to look at the next model up, the dual turbos are very nice.

You may also want to consider the Audi. They are a little more utilitarian, on the interior, than you have been looking for, but once you drive them, you love them
    The turbo 335, base price, is in the low 500's per month. Out of budget .

I've looked at Audi, but did not include them here, as I could not find their payment estimator on their website.

(Chester County)

Also, another option is the new 135i. I hear there is something "legendary" about the feel of it. Big engine, little car, LOTS OF FUN. And it comes in about the same price as the 328.

(Erie County)

I'm very happy with my BMW, minus the fact it's barely left the garage in a month

It is the ultimate driving machine, but i'd opt for the 335i.

The 135's look very promising, the only issue is they are feakin small. Look a little bigger than the old Z3 roadsters.

(Centre County)

Have you checked out the Toyota Avalons at all yet? I have a 99' and LOVE it has everything you've discribed you are looking for (though I don't know current prices) with the exception of indash Nav (wasn't a big thing in 99'). My Father got an 08' a year ago and it is a dream and has indash nav!

Food for thought.

Cheers,
    Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Lehigh County)

Do what I did, ask your auto mechanic and transmission shop what they see in their shop the least.

If you are going to buy new, all have a warranty, so it doesn't matter.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Allegheny County)

While Caddy poises the CTS against the 3-Series for marketing reasons, it's really the size of the 5-series in feel. You can't go wrong with any of the choices up there. As I've mentioned before, GM is letting rumors slip about a CTS-V coupe. That could or couldn't be an amazing US auto. But I'm fearing that it'll have "chopped sedan" look. If it's engineered from the rubber up as a coupe, it could be an M3 killer. But if not, the 335xi is great option - not that the Infinity or others aren't either. The 335xi is available as a coupe, right?
    Last edited by ScaredOnce; February 11th, 2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: shopped = chopped

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast