Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Armstrong County)

Default New CCW after moving?

Hi all,

I used the search feature but I'm coming up empty, sorry if this was already posted.

Do you have to renew your CCW if you move to another county?

The reason I ask is this...

I was driving to work and go pulled over - I walked a stop sign, my fault ;( - I had my pistol in my glovebox. I sometimes put it there just to get it out of my waist while driving, then put it in a lockbox in the trunk. I had forgotten to put it in the trunk this time, and it was the first thing both I and the LEO saw when I opened the glovebox to get my documents... I immediately told him I was 'armed' (what choice did I have anyhow?) and he took my pistol back to his car. I gave him my CCW and the gun registration to show everything was legal.

He gave me my paperwork back but said he was keeping the pistol. He said the address on my CCW didn't match my current address and I would have to pick the firearm up at their local police station. I never heard that I had to switch my CCW, but I wasn't going to argue with the guy. I had moved a week or two prior, to a different county.

When I picked up my firearm, I asked them where I could find the information about this being 'illegal' so that I could make it right. They said that I'm supposed to know this information, and to check with my local county sheriff.

I don't see this documented anywhere, but I know it's my job to know the law and not theirs to tell me. Can someone please enlighten me on this topic?

TIA.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: New CCW after moving?

The officer that borrowed your firearm just violated your rights and fed you a line of bullshit.

He had no right or authority to take your firearm back to the station. There is also NO requirement to change the address on your LTCF. Once it is issued, it is good until it expires or is revoked - period. Nothing needs to be done until the expiration date draws near - then and only then do you need to go down and renew it.

Call them up right now and tell them they are full of horse shit, and that if their take your firearm again without warrant, probable cause or without due process that you will own the department after a lawsuit and they should consider themselves "FIRED".
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I moved from Lackawanna to Philadelphia county in 1998. When I got there I called the police, they said it was fine. Just don't shoot anyone in the back.

(Armstrong County)

Thanks for the information.

I don't care to stir the pot, but I know for next time.

(Allegheny County)

There is nothing you can do if an officer "wants" to take your gun whether they are legally doing it or not. You're at their mercy at the time they take possession. You'll have to fight it on the backside if you want to prove a point and to educate them. Next time keep you pistol somewhere other than where you keep your vehicles registration/insurance info. Look on the bright side, you got it back!

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by dislusive View Post
    Thanks for the information.

I don't care to stir the pot, but I know for next time.
    So now when someone else gets illegally disarmed, you can thank yourself for not "stirring the pot".

Sorry, but it's bad enough when LEOs give out bad information. When they start acting on that bad information, some remedial re-training is necessary. If not for your own satisfaction, do it for the other people who will inevitably be victimized in the future.

In what municipality did this incident occur?
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    So now when someone else gets illegally disarmed, you can thank yourself for not "stirring the pot".

Sorry, but it's bad enough when LEOs give out bad information. When they start acting on that bad information, some remedial re-training is necessary. If not for your own satisfaction, do it for the other people who will inevitably be victimized in the future.

Not everyone can afford to stirr the pot! Legal representation can cost upwards of $200 per hour. We can not expect all gun owners to rise to that occasion. In a perfect world your values are the highest, but in real life, those values are expensive to pursue For many of us, it's best to let sleeping dogs lie, but we do appreciate those patriots whose wallets are thicker to champion the cause. I guess you just have to be here to relate

(Luzerne County)

What the officer did was not legal. There is no provision for changing your address on a PA LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by noshow View Post
    Not everyone can afford to stirr the pot! Legal representation can cost upwards of $200 per hour.
    You do not need legal representation to file a formal complaint with the dept. and file a private criminal complaint.

dislusive,
    Please do us all a favor and let us know the dept, officer name (on your ticket) and any other details. We can even write your complaints for you, all you need do is print, sign and mail.

Don't take this the wrong way, but as Imperialism stated, not taking action will make you part of the problem. Misinformed or even rogue LEO do these things because they get away with it.
    We are more than willing to help you help everyone. Think about it

(Franklin County)

What he said. ^^^^^^^

You do have remedies to pursue that can be done on your own (with our assistance if necessary) and without hiring an attorney and suing.

Private Criminal Complaint to the county DA and a Civil Rights Complaint to the AG are simple to fill out, and the forms are available on the web. We're more than willing to assist with this if you wish to pursue either or both of these avenues. Also, the police department should have an internal complaint procedure.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; February 11th, 2008 at 06:38 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post

Happened in Wexford, Allegheny county.

1. I wouldn't argue with a LEO.
    2. It was merely a waste a time, and a lecture about how I shouldn't keep my pistol in my glove box; car could be stolen, etc... No harrassment, or even an attitude.
    3. Perhaps it was ignorance on his part, and he thought that was the law. No excuse for wasting my time, I know. But I can see even a cop not knowing every detail of his job, specifically on this issue. And one that no one would be hurt by.
    4. I don't care to make a big deal out of this. The reason I posted wasn't to see if my rights were violated, but to see if any further action needed to be taken on my part - renewing my CCW.
    5. There were no other issues.

The officer wasn't a dick, I think he was doing his job as he thought best... No he shouldn't have taken it, which I didn't know at the time myself. Then again, he didn't pull his gun out on me once he seen it either. Which he could've. The situation could've gone very bad at that point once the pistol was seen. I also immediately put my hands on the steering wheel and let him know 'why', although he figured it out for himself, but more to let him know I was harmless and that there was no need for concern.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast