Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Venango County)

Default PDW Concealed Carry

18 Pa.C.S. § 6102: Definitions
    "Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

Under this law and with all stamps in my posession I am legally allowed to carry an SBR, correct? One on my concerns are the O.A.L. Does this follow federal law where if one is meets the requirements it is under the law? I.E. ar15 platform has under 16" bbl but an O.A.L. of over 26" it is an SBR. The next one is the O.A.L. measured from a stock in the fully extended or colapsed setting? I.E. ar15 7" bbl 23 3/4" O.A.L. colapsed, 27 3/4" extended. I understand that the ar is the one that would be in quiestion, the other SBR is an fn PS90 SBR with a 10.3"bbl and an O.A.L. of 19". In quiestion to is O.A.L. is it measured in the configuration that it is being carried in? I.E. addition of a sound suppressor or other muzzle device.
    Last edited by allen16323; March 18th, 2012 at 03:15 PM.

Default Re: PDW Concealed Carry

Yes you can carry a loaded SBR like you can a pistol. Concealed or in the vehicle. As for your barrel and overall length question.... idfk. Im sure someone will be along shortly to answer.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Montgomery County)

Federal OAL is always measured with the stock attached, and in the open, or fully extended position.

State OAL for PA is measured the same way.

as noted, yes, you can carry a SBS, or SBR (including MGs) as long as it meets the "firearm" definition for carry.

Some AOWs would not.. like a long barreled cane gun (AOW = disguised weapon), and some will, like a Serbu Super Shorty as its classified as an AOW due to being a "smooth bore pistol firing a fixed shotshell"

whether its a wise thing to carry is up to you, but some of my NFA is very expensive, and I'd rather not risk some stupid Deppity Dawg whose ego is bigger than his law knowledge, taking it, and fingerf***ing it to death.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Venango County)

but what about the O.A.L. is it along nfa law where it has to meet both barrel and over all? if it has less than 16"bbl but over the 26"?

(Montgomery County)

I thought this was kinda clear but OAL/NFA is measured "barrel under length", OR/AND "OAL under 26".... you can have a shotgun with a barrel length of 18", but if you cut the butt-stock too short so the OAL us under 26", and is a violation of Fed law unless registered per the NFA.

the barrel length and OAL to not have to be BOTH under length to qualify, either will do.

as a note, the Ruby Ridge travesty was the ATF saying Randy Weaver cut a shotgun too short... the barrel was 18", the butt-stock was allegedly cut 1/4" under Federal OAL.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Jefferson County)

All it takes is (1) of the factors to make it a SBS or SBR. If the barrel is under the set limit(16" for rifle, 18" for smoothbore), but the OAL exceeds the 26" - it is still a SBS or SBR because of the barrel length.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Venango County)

Yes I understand federal law, but the way the PA law (posted above) does it have to meet JUST ONE requirement or all? IE under PA law what if it has a 7" bble but is over the 26" o.a.l. is what i want to know.