Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default S&W...The Good and The BAD

UPDATED Post #19 Page 2(if your settings are default)

I picked up a revolver yesterday. I've wanted to add a revolver to the collection(just because I can?)and my girlfriend prefers them due to simplicity and ease of use. So I decided on this beautiful looking wheel gun...

The Smith & Wesson 686(-6) SSR Pro Series

(The Good)
    While I'm not a huge fan of revolvers but I saw this on the website and was like ehh...maybe. When I held it in the store, it was decided. Being the Pro it has extra bells and whistles such as a recessed precision crown, chamfered cylinder, bossed main spring and trigger job.
    I went to the range today and was amazed with the accuracy. Sadly no pictures. I only put 30 rounds through it(which is explained later), most of which went through the same hole, only shooting at ~10yrds. I started out hitting low which was due to me flinching(yeah I admit I'm not the best shot) and being new to the sights. Once I got over my initial stupidity this gun was amazing, super smooth trigger. Recoil of the 125 grain SJHP .357 magnum was definitely manageable. Being as I'm used to 9mm semi automatics it was different feeling. The sights were ok in my opinion. I'm used to 3 dots, this had the orange front sight with rear adjustable. The ominous internal lock was not a problem(yet...). Overall a great gun...Except....

(The BAD)
    After only 30 rounds the cylinder latch became loose. After a quick google search, I find this has been an issue with the Pro Series guns. Apparently their QC is sucking major ass and they either messed up the threads on the inside or they didn't loctite it. I don't really know anything about revolvers. This really pissed me off(and that doesn't happen often)so I stopped shooting it.

So with that mini review, I guess?, I'm left with the question of what route to take. The way I see it I have two opitions: First, I bought the gun at Ace Sporting Goods which has some kinda "they'll take care of any problems" for the first year(or some amount of time)if I bring it back. Or call Smith and Wesson and get the parts and learn how to do it myself. Taking it back seems like the better opition but I don't want to be out of a gun that I just bought for who knows how many weeks/months. I'm calling Ace tomorrow but I was wondering WWPAFOAD?

Disclaimer(ish): For those who like to gripe about gunshops, when ASG sold it to me it was solid so in no way would I say they sold me a junk gun and they have nothing to do with the quality issue.
    Last edited by spartakis252; March 22nd, 2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: update

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: S&W...The Good and The BAD

S&W has a lifetime warranty on all of their stuff and I would think it's better to deal with them instead of the shop u purchased it from and possibly ruin your warranty.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin-

S&W has one of the best customer services in the business. I have purchased quite a few firearms from Ace now, and they seem great; however, I would rather just deal with S&W first. Trust me, they will take care of you.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by MirandasPits View Post
    S&W has a lifetime warranty on all of their stuff and I would think it's better to deal with them instead of the shop u purchased it from and possibly ruin your warranty.
    I actually don't know how the shop handles it(I kinda forgot even though it was yesterday), I think they might just cover the shipping to and from S&W so it doesn't cost me anything.
    I will be finding this out tomorrow. I didn't even give it a thought that a local gunsmith could (unintentionally) void the warranty, thanks for the heads up.

(Cumberland County)

S&W doesn't charge you anything for shipping, they pay both ways. Despite what has been said though, I find their service to not be the greatest. I've had to send two guns back to them in the past 18 months or so ( both new guns, so not a great track record there either - lol ). The first was a simple problem but they did not fix until the 3rd time of me shipping it to them, along with me calling a supervisor personally and having him assure me they would get it right and handle it personally.
    The second gun, they said nothing was wrong with it ( laser problem ) but they fixed it by putting a new laser on it - so was confused, but it was fixed so I was ok.
    Also annoying, they do not say what they did to the gun - just back to you and you figure it out.
    Be VERY specific with the letter/note you put inside the box if you send it and good luck!

(Lebanon County)

so, did you take a screw driver and tighten the fastener that holds the cylinder release latch on?
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Allegheny County)

Call down at 11AM tomorrow right as the doors open and talk to Keith. he's our Gun Tech. Ace's Warranty is 1 year on all firearms. (except for "As Is" AKA gunsmith specials). we'll take care of your issue either in store or WE send it back to S&W if it is something that we can't do saving you the shipping hassle.

thanks
    Chris S. Ace Employee
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    Call down at 11AM tomorrow right as the doors open and talk to Keith. he's our Gun Tech. Ace's Warranty is 1 year on all firearms. (except for "As Is" AKA gunsmith specials). we'll take care of your issue either in store or WE send it back to S&W if it is something that we can't do saving you the shipping hassle.

thanks
    Chris S. Ace Employee
    Now that's a great store and staff - kudo's, wish I lived closer !

Ace is great. Since I moved out here it is by my favorite gun store. I don't mind the half hour trip at all.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Now that's a great store and staff - kudo's, wish I lived closer !
    +1 nice to hear that CS is alive and well
    /bug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast