Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Question about Mossberg 500

Hello,

I have a Mossberg 500 20 GA Field/Deer combo. The rifled bore has an attached scope which is great for what it is. I've also gotten very accurate with the smooth bore at 50 yds. My question is: the smooth bore has those bead type sights on it. I was wondering if it is possible to get an open sight for it or do I have the wrong barrel for that. I'm new to this whole thing and not really sure what can and cant be done to certain guns.

Thanks
    Tj

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Question about Mossberg 500

You can get a front+rear sight combo for it. It may require having your barrel drilled and tapped for screws though. ....However, it may be cheaper to just buy a "smoothbore slug barrel" which usually comes with sights already. Gunsmithing and material costs may exceed the cost of a new barrel w/sights outright.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

I believe you can get replacement barrels for little money with sights attached.
    Check here: www.gunpartscorp.com for the Mossberg section-they used to sell a lot of different barrels for these guns.

FWIW, I have owned several Mossbergs over the years and they have proven very reliable and rugged guns.

mark
    Another armed Liberal veteran.

(Westmoreland County)

If you want an open-sight barrel to shoot slugs out of, you should buy the fully rifled barrel with the sights.

Midway has it for $150.00

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...743&t=11082005
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Montgomery County)

Well I have a Rifled Barrel with a scope. It was part of the combo I had bought. The sabot slugs for that are a bit pricey. I was told not to shoot regular rifled slugs (the $3.00 for 5 ones) through that barrel because the rifling of the cheapo slugs was opposite that of the barrel. I don't know how true that statement is but being new to this I have to take it for face value and go with what I was told.

I want a smooth bore for rifled slugs (not a rifled barrel for sabot slugs) with open sights.

Make sense?

I guess this is it??

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...492&t=11082005
    Last edited by soup; February 11th, 2008 at 03:58 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    Well I have a Rifled Barrel with a scope. It was part of the combo I had bought. The sabot slugs for that are a bit pricey. I was told not to shoot regular rifled slugs (the $3.00 for 5 ones) through that barrel because the rifling of the cheapo slugs was opposite that of the barrel. I don't know how true that statement is but being new to this I have to take it for face value and go with what I was told.

I want a smooth bore for rifled slugs (not a rifled barrel for sabot slugs) with open sights.

Make sense?

I guess this is it??

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...492&t=11082005
    Yep... the barrel at your linkage is what ya want.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Westmoreland County)

I have shot rifled slugs out of my fully rifled barrel. They lead it up a bit, but for 10 or 20 rounds to sight it in, it wasn't too bad. A brush and some Hoppes and the lead came right out.

Good luck with the smooth bore. I have my rifled 500 sighted in at 75 and can shoot 5" groups at that range. My gun is for deer hunting though, so I only fire a few shots through it per year. I don't mind paying $3 per slug if each one is going into a deer.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by BearTitan View Post
    I have shot rifled slugs out of my fully rifled barrel. They lead it up a bit, but for 10 or 20 rounds to sight it in, it wasn't too bad. A brush and some Hoppes and the lead came right out.

Good luck with the smooth bore. I have my rifled 500 sighted in at 75 and can shoot 5" groups at that range. My gun is for deer hunting though, so I only fire a few shots through it per year. I don't mind paying $3 per slug if each one is going into a deer.
    Thanks!

Like I said I'm new to this so I don't know much as far as equipment goes. The smooth bore with the sights would be for range use. I enjoy going to the range but Shooting sabot's isn't really economical and the bead sights aren't really what I want for that use. I plan on hunting deer in the future and plan on using the rifled barrel for that with the sabot slugs.

Also.. any suggestions when sighting in a scope? I had the thing bore sighted and I shot a few @ 50yds and it is still off about 2" to the right and low 2" The only range I've been to has 50yd and 100yd setups. I tried sighting in @ 100 but I don't have the means to check each shot afterwards so it is very difficult.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    Thanks!

Also.. any suggestions when sighting in a scope? I had the thing bore sighted and I shot a few @ 50yds and it is still off about 2" to the right and low 2" The only range I've been to has 50yd and 100yd setups. I tried sighting in @ 100 but I don't have the means to check each shot afterwards so it is very difficult.

2" off for bore sighting is pretty damn good, as for 100yds, can't you just walk down and check your shot and tape over it, so you could see the next one. Binoculars or a spotting scope would be your next investment.

(Westmoreland County)

Like Roland said. 2" right and 2" low with a smooth barrel at 50 yards is not too terribly bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast