Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: why are people trying to legalize semi-auto's for hunting?

These are all puppy killing, vicious weapons that respectable hunters would NEVER use.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by WSM View Post
    Yeah, they're called Fudds and Pennsylvania is full of them. I had to move to MD to break out of my own Fudd'ism. In Maryland, I was the "scary" guy in the woods that was carrying a Savage model 10 in .270 WSM. Most hunters in MD consider that an elephant gun. It's not uncommon for hunters to head into the woods with AR15/10's and, these days, it doesn't bother me one bit. The regulation of semi autos for hunting is arbitrary, unintelligent, and downright ridiculous.
    What would they think of my Dad in Maryland. He uses a 325 WSM for deer.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

First off let me say I was born and raised in PA and grew up thinking semi-autos were the devil since they couldn’t be used to hunt. Since then I have hunted in many states with PA being the only state that prohibits semi-auto hunting. The first day in those states doesn’t sound any different then PA. No different than then my father’s neighbor who makes the first shot count then empties his Remington 760 pump as the deer runs off un-harmed. I have hunted in SC, GA, WV, and MD with a semi-auto. Now I consider a semi-auto just another deer rifle, no different than a bolt, lever, pump or single shot.

Walt

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by truecrimson View Post

I haven't hunted in a long time. If I ever do again I'll probably use my SMLE No 4 Mk 1. Do a search for "Mad Minute". Maybe Enfileds should be banned for hunting
    Funny you mention that. I purchased an ishapore 2a that was sporterized with a synthetic stock,shortened barrel and flash suppressor. You would not believe the amount of "great hunters" who got their panties in a bunch because I was using that terrible black rifle with a horrible 10 round mag.

This just further lowered my opinion of the brilliant hunters we have here in PA. A large portion are uneducated,bigoted morons.
    An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine!I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force,nor is it wise for such a person to expect it!
    Isaiah Ambrey
    If you think you have the right not to be offended. I suggest you promptly purchase a toe attachment and a twelve gauge. One time use is all that is necessary.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Funny you mention that. I purchased an ishapore 2a that was sporterized with a synthetic stock,shortened barrel and flash suppressor. You would not believe the amount of "great hunters" who got their panties in a bunch because I was using that terrible black rifle with a horrible 10 round mag.

This just further lowered my opinion of the brilliant hunters we have here in PA. A large portion are uneducated,bigoted morons.
    Wonder what they think of this...

I grew up using semi-autos for hunting and see no issue with it. I'd only use bolt actions for hunting pipelines, large fields, etc when I thought the added accuracy of the rifle was needed. Mag restrictions are 5 rounds and never once heard anyone dump a mag at an animal. I've heard a shot, followed by a brief pause and a follow up shot. I'm perfectly fine with semi-autos, don't see the issue with it and I'd love to be able to use some of my hunting semi-autos down here especially my AR's which I shoot often and therefore very proficient with.

My bolt actions are test fired to make sure they sighted in each year and that's about it. Half the time I need to remind myself of where the safety is and actuating it. If it was cost effectively, I'd "train" more often with them, but it just isn't.

It was when I moved to this state that I hear people dumping their shotguns as quick as they can. Pray and spray type hunting I'd call it. Makes me nervous every time. Maybe the ethics are a bit different here, maybe it's the density of hunters that I'm not use to. At least that's the feel on the east side and why I'm a little more hesitate about semi-autos, but I believe that shouldn't restrict the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Vsgiovinazzo View Post
    so could someone fill me in? I have been hunting for years and I love guns just as much as hunting. Now I could understand for pests and what not but semi-auto's for game? really? I remember going to to Fl. for hog hunting and I could hear in the semi-autos going off and I asked my father inlaw what the hell are those guys doing? he said deer hunting. I thought to myself. are you kidding me do you suck that much you need to unload a mag just to put down a little deer ( and they are little there ) but on the hunting sunday thing Iam all about I would love to get two days in a week! so please inform
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Erie County)

Default Personal Safety

The last thing I want is some guy with a AR in .308 with a 30 round mag shooting at a deer doing the spray and pray with no realization of what or who is beyond the target.

I was sprayed with birdshot about 30 yrs ago some some dunce with a semi-auto 12ga who was unloading it at doves that had been flushed.

I know alot of guys want them, but the idea scares the crap out of me. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    You would not believe the amount of "great hunters" who got their panties in a bunch because I was using that terrible black rifle with a horrible 10 round mag.
    I've an 1876 Winchester repro that holds 11 of the 45-60 cartridges in the tube...kind of a "spray and pray" in it's day. Wonder what they'd say about it.

(Allegheny County)

If semi-autos were legal I would hunt.

I refuse to buy a bolt action rifle I have no interest in outside of hunting when I have other rifles that would do the job just as well. I would happily load one round at a time. Just make the gun itself legal to use. 1 round mag, 2 round mag. Whatever makes everyone comfortable if we really have to do that. I just want to be able to put 180gr JSP in my PSL and shoot a deer.

I also refuse to take an 18.5" barrelled pump action smooth bore shotgun into the field and pretend I'm going to hit a deer with it. Maybe I could. Maybe I can't. I'd rather just use a scoped rifle.

If I have no magazine in the gun. I'm doing the same thing as any bolt action.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718