Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Question why are people trying to legalize semi-auto's for hunting?

so could someone fill me in? I have been hunting for years and I love guns just as much as hunting. Now I could understand for pests and what not but semi-auto's for game? really? I remember going to to Fl. for hog hunting and I could hear in the semi-autos going off and I asked my father inlaw what the hell are those guys doing? he said deer hunting. I thought to myself. are you kidding me do you suck that much you need to unload a mag just to put down a little deer ( and they are little there ) but on the hunting sunday thing Iam all about I would love to get two days in a week! so please inform

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: why are people trying to legalize semi-auto's for hunting?

Well i'm not a hunter but am all for deregulation of most things. If you can put down an animal in one shot (and u should be able to) good, but if not why not give the person more chances quicker. I would think it would lead to less wounded animals.
    When unholstering your sidearm it is customary to say: "Excuse me while i whip this out"

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Simple answer- Because people want to hunt with semi-autos.

This isn't anything new. It was the same with:
    -Introduction of an archery deer season
    -Introduction of compound bows
    -Introduction of crossbows
    -Introduction of inline muzzle-loaders

You have a group of folks who want to use device X to hunt X. Right now that happens to be semi-autos for all sorts of game. Is there a NEED for it? Nope. Are there really any good arguments against it? Nope.

The pro- semi crowd points out that semi auto shotguns are already legal for small game, and deer in SRA's. The idea that a 12 guage with 5 or more saboted slugs banging away in the most populated areas of the state is safe but a semi automatic rifle wouldn't be is ridiculous.

They point out that shot placement is key, and the delivery system is mostly personal preference. A core lokt 308 through the rib cage kills a deer just as dead whether its shot out of a Rem 760, a Ruger M77 Mark II, A browning BLR, or a DPMS 308.

They argue that a great deal of people own AR platforms in 556 (a good varmint round), and maybe allowing semi-autos would boost hunter participation.

The other side of the debate claims that the ability to rap off rounds every finger pull is unsafe, and lends itself to "spray and pray" shooting at game. They argue that since a lever rifle, a bolt gun, or a pump will kill a deer just fine and allow for a follow up shot, there is no need for semi-autos.

There is also a great deal of debate over caliber restrictions for deer, mag capacities etc.

Thats about where we're at right now. IF anything happens, it will probably be semi auto rimfires for small game, and/or semi autos for varmints.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bpgood1 View Post
    Well i'm not a hunter but am all for deregulation of most things. If you can put down an animal in one shot (and u should be able to) good, but if not why not give the person more chances quicker. I would think it would lead to less wounded animals.
    less wounded animals? how so? after your first shot that animal will take off ( in most cases ) and then your just pissing away lead. and lets say you do hit it the odds of you making a kill shot when the animal is in full run are very very slim. not to mention how unsafe it is to be shooting a moving target. lets say im hunting on the ground 50 yards from you and you dont see me. Now you see a deer you take your first shot and miss. Now that deer is running my way and you start shooting like a mad man...well ..think about it....theres no sport in it and state parks are already over packed just picture them parks packed with people that are packing semi-auto's
    Last edited by Vsgiovinazzo; March 16th, 2012 at 09:25 PM.

(Bucks County)

The idea that a 12 guage with 5 or more saboted slugs banging away in the most populated areas of the state is safe but a semi automatic rifle wouldn't be is ridiculous.

last time i checked rifle rounds travel alot longer then slugs.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Vsgiovinazzo View Post
    less wounded animals? how so? after your first shot that animal will take off ( in most cases ) and then your just pissing away lead. and lets say do do hit it the odds of you making a kill shot when the animal is in full run are very very slim. not to mention how unsafe it is to be shooting a moving target. lets say im hunting on the ground 50 yards from you and you dont see me. Now you see a deer you take your first shot and miss. Now that deer is running my way and you start shooting like a mad man...well ..think about it....theres no sport in it and state parks are already over packed just picture them parks packed with people that are packing semi-auto's
    Couldn't all the same arguements be made for hunting with anything other than a single shot rifle/shotgun.

(Allegheny County)

less wounded animals? how so? after your first shot that animal will take off ( in most cases ) and then your just pissing away lead. and lets say do do hit it the odds of you making a kill shot when the animal is in full run are very very slim. not to mention how unsafe it is to be shooting a moving target. lets say im hunting on the ground 50 yards from you and you dont see me. Now you see a deer you take your first shot and miss. Now that deer is running my way and you start shooting like a mad man...well ..think about it....theres no sport in it and state parks are already over packed just picture them parks packed with people that are packing semi-auto's
    I dont see it that way but i am a responsible shooter. if the animal does run im not "pissing away lead" i am keeping focused on the target and acquiring my next shot. i would never unknowingly hunt 50 yds from another person ( i used to hunt) i am far more aware of my surroundings than that. I fail to see how it loses sport when the shot difficulty (as you have admitted ) increases on a running animal.
    When unholstering your sidearm it is customary to say: "Excuse me while i whip this out"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    Couldn't all the same arguements be made for hunting with anything other than a single shot rifle/shotgun.
    yes it could but the number of rounds aloud is limited. and that extra sec. it takes you to pump or cock the gun you are using acts as a buffer for the animal to have a chance and in most cases and I do mean most will prevent the hunter to take that second shot. you might get 2 shots off before that animal is gone where as if you had a semi you could prob. get off ten

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

The idea that a 12 guage with 5 or more saboted slugs banging away in the most populated areas of the state is safe but a semi automatic rifle wouldn't be is ridiculous.

last time i checked rifle rounds travel alot longer then slugs.
    I've never shot a deer at any angle that wouldn't send my bullet or slug into the ground within a few yards of the animal had I missed.

This comes back to "know your target AND whats behind it". So semi-auto rifles shouldn't be allowed because people will ignore basic rules of firearms safety?

Why allow any centerfire rifles if flat shooting cartridges are that dangerous?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bpgood1 View Post
    I dont see it that way but i am a responsible shooter. if the animal does run im not "pissing away lead" i am keeping focused on the target and acquiring my next shot. i would never unknowingly hunt 50 yds from another person ( i used to hunt) i am far more aware of my surroundings than that. I fail to see how it loses sport when the shot difficulty (as you have admitted ) increases on a running animal.
    so then why do you need a semi-auto? unless you plan on mag dumping on it ....and I dont mean you as in "you"

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast