Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: why are people trying to legalize semi-auto's for hunting?

My vote is for allowing semi-auto!

My pesonal thoughts are everyone should use a flintlock and no crossbows. But thats me. I dont try to push my feelings on everyone else.

So what I am trying to say is if the law was changed to only allow flintlocks I would not care. If they change it to include semi I am OK with that also. I dont want to restrict anyone from using what they want.

And no I dont only use a flintlock! But I am thinking very hard about selling every other rifle I have for hunting. Then I can build more retro AR's.
    Masters Degree from, School of Hardknocks and College of Common Sense

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by geofri View Post
    Other than simply having a libertarian streak in me, and wanted less regs for most things, I just want more options for hunting.

I have a nice ruger 10/22 with adjustable scope and bull barrel. Being able to use that over my $50 westernfield single shot bolt with irons sites just makes more sense and will prove to be a more efficient and humane tool for hunting.

It would annoy the heck out of me, but I'd be tempted to find a compromise fi they continue to refuse to allow semis.

Curious though.. what about hunting without a magazine(in the case of my 10/22)? Semi auto, but you can only load one shell at a time without a mag.
    Technically can it even be considered a semi automatic when magless, since there is no support system to provide the 2nd half of the operation(the auto-loading).

*funny, I did just see a truck with an "oppose sunday hunting" bumpersticker.. don't really get it even..
    Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    Technically, and legally it would be considered a semi-automatic. I don't have the legal information available to post, but that's what the result would be.
    ^^^^
    ByblosHex is correct, a semiautomatic action is illegal in this context even if you don't have a magazine or even only have one round of ammo with you. It's been discussed before and determined that if you modify the action so it's no longer semi auto and the modification is permanent or not easily reversed it can be legal to hunt with. I don't think there's a hard and fast definition of what would be considered "easily reversed" though, and there's the possibility of being stopped by someone who doesn't know or share the same opinion. There was a Game Commission Officer who chimed in with his knowledge and opinion from a legal standpoint. If I can find the thread I'll come back and post a link to it.
    FWIW, the first year I hunted deer I used an M-1 Carbine with a plug welded in the gas port to make it a legal straight pull bolt action.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Why?

Because I really want to go hunting with my M1 Garand.

Thats why.
    Repeal the 17th Amendment

(Erie County)

To open up far more hunting options than a bolt, pump or lever action rifle or shotgun.
    I would love to take my Grandfather's bring-back Garand deer hunting but Alas, Pennsylvania makes that legendary rifle a range toy only.

(Franklin County)

the pgc is not trying to legalize semi-autos for deer, thank god. the proposal is to allow hunters to use rim fire rifles .22lr or smaller for groundhogs only.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bkxdm View Post
    the pgc is not trying to legalize semi-autos for deer, thank god. the proposal is to allow hunters to use rim fire rifles .22lr or smaller for groundhogs only.
    So which god is this that does not want semi-autos legalized for hunting.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Finch00 View Post
    A better question is why are hunters fighting it.... I can only think of one reason
    Yeah, they're called Fudds and Pennsylvania is full of them. I had to move to MD to break out of my own Fudd'ism. In Maryland, I was the "scary" guy in the woods that was carrying a Savage model 10 in .270 WSM. Most hunters in MD consider that an elephant gun. It's not uncommon for hunters to head into the woods with AR15/10's and, these days, it doesn't bother me one bit. The regulation of semi autos for hunting is arbitrary, unintelligent, and downright ridiculous.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Vsgiovinazzo View Post
    but cant you see the assholes out there just spitting out lead after the animal takes off? trust me I would love to hunt with a semi-auto. I think 99% of the people on here would hunt with them the right way. but the truth is theres alot of assholes out there that wont. and even if they did pass it so we could the assholes out there would end it in one season.
    Those are the same assholes that I know. You know, the assholes that can dump 8 rounds of .30-30 from a model 94 in 3 seconds and still only manage a lucky gut shot at 50 yards. They're everywhere in PA, they won't go away, and because of that I can't justify purchasing a semi auto rifle because I can't hunt with one. I don't like having rifles designated as paper punchers only. If they ever repeal the semi auto ban the first thing I'm doing is buying an AK and parading it all over Wayne County with a "banana clip" full of puppy killing, cop killing, heat seeking, laser guided bullets of doom. Shortly after the parade I'll take it into the woods and shoot a buck with it and give the middle finger salute to all the Fudds.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Automan21k View Post
    I work with a guy who is pushing hard to allow hunting with Semi-autos, he doesn't currently hunt because he "can't throw lead fast enough with a pump to make hunting fun" I can honestly say that I don't want to be in the woods with people like that. do I push for less regulation, yes, do I want a bunch of trigger happy first time hunters running around the woods with 30rd magazines, throwing lead at anything that moves...no thanks.

Would some people be responsible when hunting with a semi auto? I'm sure they would, but it will be the trigger happy few causing chaos in the woods that will give the anti's the justification to out right ban all semi autos.

(Lebanon County)

A better question is why is Pennsyltucky stuck in the dark ages? Plenty of states allow hunting with semi autos. I have hunted with semi autos, as I ain't riginally from round he-ah.

I have not seen or experienced any of the imaginary dangers or problems those opposed to semi auto hunting seem to always conjure up. But I guess we should think of the children............

Shot placement. Animals are a lot different than people and even with a fatal first shot they will often run on adrenaline for a bit before they figure out that they are dead. I've seen enough deer run when they shouldn't even have been able to stand that I don't put much credence in all the one shot one kill bullshit.

Plus anyone can miss. I realize a lot of you regular hunters are Carlos Hathcock, but I myself sometimes have bad days, or get in a hurry and make a mistake, or sneeze, belch, or fart and mess things up.

I haven't hunted in a long time. If I ever do again I'll probably use my SMLE No 4 Mk 1. Do a search for "Mad Minute". Maybe Enfileds should be banned for hunting
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast