Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re: Want to Conceal Carry in NY

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    A New York pistol license only allows you to BUY A pistol, not conceal carry.
    Wildly incorrect.

Here is a link to the section of NYS penal law concerning pistol licenses. There are seven types of pistol licenses in NY, the vast (and I do mean VAST) majority of issued permits are the ones defined by § 400.00, subsection (2)(g):

(f) have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or
    place of possession, by any person when proper cause exists for the
    issuance thereof; and
    I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

------------------------

AirGun: your two replies above this post are responding to posts made four years ago. That said, both of the posts you quoted are incorrect - a permit from one county in upstate allows you to carry in any county in upstate - NYC is a separate issue. Purchase coupons are not restricted to counties of residence... in fact, I don't think I've ever purchased a pistol in the county I reside in.

Something that I think contributes to the confusion is that many people seem to confuse NYS and NYC. Outside NY, there is a common impression that "New York" is one big city. Also, when some people say "New York," they actually mean "New York City." I suspect that may be the case with Pilot321.
    Last edited by OwnTheRide; April 29th, 2016 at 12:43 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

Just got back from dropping off my NY Pistol Permit at the Tioga Co Sheriffs office.
    With Chemung and Broome Counties working to issue PA residents just across the border, (Bradford and Susquehanna) I decided to try.
    Tioga is more conservative than Broome county and while I live in Susquehanna County I work in Tioga Co.
    -Application in triplicate with info and signatures of 4 Tioga Co, US Citizen, non-LEO, residents as character witnesses. must list if you EVER WERE ARRESTED, CHARGED, OR CONVICTED of anything more than a traffic ticket.
    -Each character witness must fill out a questionnaire and write a brief statement about you.
    -Family court release of records consent form.
    -$115 ($140 in Broome Co but you can fill out their application electronically)
    -Fingerprints and picture
    -They requested a copy of my DD214 and any certified handgun training
    -copies of Bill of Sale or Transfer completed by FFL for each pistol I plan to carry and the make, model, SN and caliber will be printed on the permit.
    License will be issued for Hunting and target shooting but allows for conceal carry. she said 3-4 months and once issued I can petition the County judge to change to unrestricted CC for another $10

I hear in Tioga Co it is not hard to get the restriction lifted, in Broome Co you better be related to someone in power.. hence why I went with the county of my employment.

I will let you all know how it goes.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    AirGun: your two replies above this post are responding to posts made four years ago. That said, both of the posts you quoted are incorrect - a permit from one county in upstate allows you to carry in any county in upstate - NYC is a separate issue. Purchase coupons are not restricted to counties of residence... in fact, I don't think I've ever purchased a pistol in the county I reside in.

Something that I think contributes to the confusion is that many people seem to confuse NYS and NYC. Outside NY, there is a common impression that "New York" is one big city. Also, when some people say "New York," they actually mean "New York City." I suspect that may be the case with Pilot321.
    Regarding the posts I responded to, I believe the major changes to New York law since 2012 were Osterweil v. Bartlett and the NY SAFE Act. I don't believe either of those changes would have affected those posters' writing, nor did I see them later refuted. Are you aware of other changes? Let's get that all in the forum so that we can address them. This is a big win for those of us with interests in both states.

I think we agree. Since PAFOA is probably the most recognizable organization in Pennsylvania for this purpose, we have an opportunity to correct a lot of misinformation - and provide new first-hand information. When I searched for threads relating to New York, I was surprised at the amount of misinformation in this one.

On the topic of our northeastern habit of referring to New York City as "New York," you may be right. It a difficult habit to combat, but I try to be careful when referring to the State or the City.
    Last edited by AirGun; April 29th, 2016 at 01:16 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

The agreement between Broome County and Susquehanna County is trash. Broome will only issue you a permit if you live in Susquehanna County and own land in Broome, OR you work in Broome AND have work need. In that case, you can only carry to, from, and at work.
    Stay armed my friends.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by wrangler1120 View Post
    The agreement between Broome County and Susquehanna County is trash. Broome will only issue you a permit if you live in Susquehanna County and own land in Broome, OR you work in Broome AND have work need. In that case, you can only carry to, from, and at work.
    I agree 100% and you forgot the $140 non-refundable cost. The only change over state law is they changed the Resident requirement to land owner. I work with a guy that is a life long Broome resident but was out of state with the military. He has been back almost 2 years now and they keep yanking his chain. They actually told him to come back after he has resided in county for 36 months!
    Now he is looking to buy a home in Susquehanna Co.

The Broome/Susquehanna agreement really only helps Broome residents get their $20 PA non-resident that comes with MANY reciprocal states.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    My conscience weeps for him. New York must be brought back into compliance with the union. I no longer recognize it as sovereign US territory.
    I tried to talk him into staying where he is, but the wife (and to a lesser extent him) wants to move closer to home and NY is the closest he could get a transfer to.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    I work with a guy that is a life long Broome resident but was out of state with the military. He has been back almost 2 years now and they keep yanking his chain. They actually told him to come back after he has resided in county for 36 months!
    Now he is looking to buy a home in Susquehanna Co.
    Depending on the circumstances, he may be able to argue that his residency in Broome County never ended, even temporarily. The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance has a useful page addressing this. Connecting pistol licensing to the tax rules will be interesting.

I hear in Tioga Co it is not hard to get the restriction lifted, in Broome Co you better be related to someone in power.. hence why I went with the county of my employment.
    Not sure whether it is different for non-residents, but for residents, it's pretty easy to get the extra-legal restrictions lifted. Take one of the (many) approved courses and submit your completion certificate and a letter requesting restriction removal to the judge.

I suspect what you'd heard is based on the prior judge. The current judge - who has been in that position for around 10 years - has been lifting restrictions for the majority of his tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by wrangler1120 View Post
    The agreement between Broome County and Susquehanna County is trash.
    Agreed.

The Broome/Susquehanna agreement really only helps Broome residents get their $20 PA non-resident that comes with MANY reciprocal states.
    Of course, Broome residents shouldn't require any help. Susquehanna sheriff Lance Benedict has been unlawfully refusing non-resident applications since 2013. Unlawful behavior seems to be a habit of his office: failure to send out renewal notices, refusing to accept non-resident applications, additional forms to fill out beyond that defined in §6109(c). Might be time to elect a sheriff that will abide by the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    New York doesn't even recognize New York pistol permits. Per their law and court rulings, pistol permits are issued by the County, not the State, and not all Counties, particularly those in and surrounding New York City, do not permit pistol carry unless you have one of their county licenses, and for "unrestricted" carry that means they're virtually impossible to obtain. Your upstate permit says you can carry concealed? Hah! Don't try it in New York City (which is supposed to be part of New York State, but isn't).
    Pistol permits in NY are State permits issued by the respective county you reside in. Upstate more rural counties can/do issue non-restricted permits. Counties that are more urban tend to restrict their permits to target and hunting. No permit is good in NYC unless it has been amended by the NYPD. If you are caught in NYC with a permit from a surrounding county they will lock your ass up.
    I'm a Rep Virgin

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast