Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Bradford County)

Default Re: Want to Conceal Carry in NY

Quote Originally Posted by jackmonster1 View Post
    NY gun laws are a crock of shit, NYC is....indescribable. Almost seems as if all the leftist nut jobs designed the unconstitutional laws specifically to screw the average law abiding citizens and prevent average joe from protecting him/herself.
    Actually, you are not far off. It wasn't a political party, however, it was organized crime. (Look up the Sullivan Act)

(Indiana County)

Political party, organized crime, both one and the same. Tammany Hall (of Boss Tweed infamy) wanted to control who could and could not carry. Italians? Nope. Blacks? Nope. Republicans? Nope. Democrats and assorted thugs that Tammany Hall used? Yep.

(Dauphin County)

This should have been posted in the joke thread carrying in ny now thats funny maybe a mod can move this to the joke thread ?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    This should have been posted in the joke thread carrying in ny now thats funny maybe a mod can move this to the joke thread ?
    It's no longer a joke. My domicile is in Pennsylvania, and I have a property interest in New York State. Because of that, I was issued an unrestricted New York State pistol license. It's finally happened. You can't get a permit without a business or property interest in New York State, but this is a big win. See Osterweil v. Bartlett, 21 N.Y.3d 580.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by AirGun View Post
    It's no longer a joke. My domicile is in Pennsylvania, and I have a property interest in New York State. Because of that, I was issued an unrestricted New York State pistol license. It's finally happened. You can't get a permit without a business or property interest in New York State, but this is a big win. See Osterweil v. Bartlett, 21 N.Y.3d 580.
    Congratulations! While not exactly ideal, it's still good news and a small win in the big fight for our rights.
    I've been reading up on NYS Permits on the NY Firearms forum. I have a buddy moving to upstate NY in the summer. Out of curiosity, what county issued your license?

Quote Originally Posted by PHLJJS View Post
    Congratulations! While not exactly ideal, it's still good news and a small win in the big fight for our rights.
    I've been reading up on NYS Permits on the NY Firearms forum. I have a buddy moving to upstate NY in the summer. Out of curiosity, what county issued your license?
    My conscience weeps for him. New York must be brought back into compliance with the union. I no longer recognize it as sovereign US territory.

(Chester County)

A New York pistol license only allows you to BUY A pistol, not conceal carry.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    A New York pistol license only allows you to BUY A pistol, not conceal carry.
    I understand your doubt, given the situation in New York. My permit states, "license to carry pistol is hereby granted" and states "no restrictions" under my photograph. Both of these phrases are the largest text on the front of the card, in all capital letters. It bears the signature of a Sullivan County judge. I am not one of the lucky few with a pistol license validated by the NYPD, thus my pistol license is invalid in New York City. The license also states, "If issued outside of New York City, not valid to carry a weapon in New York City unless approved by the Police Commissioner of that city."

A separate form is required to authorize you to purchase (or possess) a pistol in New York, and that form, signed by the judge or NYPD, must be given to the seller before delivery. The serial number and make/model of the new weapon is then added to the pistol license. Possession of or carrying a pistol in New York is illegal unless that weapon appears on your license. However, since I can purchase handguns in PA, this process only keeps me from bringing the weapon into New York. The process to add a weapon to the license is paperwork-heavy, but not insurmountable. In Sullivan County, the only delay is due to the burden of work this state-mandated process places on the clerks and judges, who are busy with other responsibilities.

Under New York statute and recent case law, one must have a property right or business interest in the county in which you apply for a license. I encourage everyone interested to start with this forum post to find a friendly location: http://nyfirearms.com/forums/pistol-...ermit-map.html
    Last edited by AirGun; April 29th, 2016 at 07:00 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    New York doesn't even recognize New York pistol permits. Per their law and court rulings, pistol permits are issued by the County, not the State, and not all Counties, particularly those in and surrounding New York City, do not permit pistol carry unless you have one of their county licenses, and for "unrestricted" carry that means they're virtually impossible to obtain. Your upstate permit says you can carry concealed? Hah! Don't try it in New York City (which is supposed to be part of New York State, but isn't).
    Statkowski,

Can you share evidence of a New York pistol license holder being convicted for carrying a weapon outside of the county issuing his pistol license?

New York Penal Law § 400.00 (6) states, "...shall be effective throughout the state, except that the same shall not be valid within the city of New York unless a special permit granting validity is issued by the police commissioner of that city."

Reading 400.00 will give any Pennsylvania gun owner a headache because of the unique application requirements for Westchester, Nassau, and Suffolk counties, and New York City. New York City is the only area in that list, however, where no out-of-jurisdiction license is automatically valid. In Pennsylvania, we're blessed with uniformity in the firearm laws... Except for Philadelphia's licensing process for licenses to carry firearms. New York is drastically different and a little confusing, but the rules are not incomprehensible.
    Last edited by AirGun; April 29th, 2016 at 07:33 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    I have a friend in NY so I already knew the little tid bit about the county. Also, I'm not sure on this, but I think your only allowed to purchase pistols in your county as well.
    My understanding is that the purchase coupon is valid statewide, and in New York City if you have the appropriate validation from the NYPD commissioner. I have personally witnessed a pistol purchase at an Orange County gun show by Sullivan County pistol license holder. The selling dealer's storefront is in Rockland County.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast