Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you know if your gun shoots better than you?

I'm starting to take this more seriously. Some days I'm hot some days I'm not. When I'm not, my groups are about 5-6 inches @ 25 feet with my 9mm SR9c. I use Federal target ammo (the 19.97 value pack). One day I used Remington 100cts, the hollow point brand about 28.00 and was hitting real nicely.

In truth, I probably just suck (the SR9c shoots better than me). How much better would the Glock 34 be for me? Any recommendations on ammunition? I do know that the CCI ammo I used over the bulk Federal in my Mark III improved my accuracy significantly. Training? I am particularly interested in perhaps a website which has benchmarks for my weapon in terms of expectancy for group size, etc. Thank You in advance.

All the best.

Default Re: How do you know if your gun shoots better than you?

I would put it on a pistol rest, shoot it at 5 yds, then 10 yds then 15. that should give a decent indication of the guns performance. now shoot it without the rest, 5 , 10 then 15, this will show you how much you are interfering with he pistol. Now buy some snap caps and practice dry fire drills in the basement. A cheap laser sight will show you how much pulling the trigger makes the pistol jump. This is just for training purposes,Not for carry.
    Shooting archery helped me get a more steady aim, holding the weight of the bow out at arms length, keeping it steady while aiming . Although the isometric tension from bow to pistol was reversed, it really really helps.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    I would put it on a pistol rest, shoot it at 5 yds, then 10 yds then 15. that should give a decent indication of the guns performance. now shoot it without the rest, 5 , 10 then 15, this will show you how much you are interfering with he pistol. Now buy some snap caps and practice dry fire drills in the basement. A cheap laser sight will show you how much pulling the trigger makes the pistol jump. This is just for training purposes,Not for carry.
    Shooting archery helped me get a more steady aim, holding the weight of the bow out at arms length, keeping it steady while aiming . Although the isometric tension from bow to pistol was reversed, it really really helps.
    So simple I went to Shooters gallery over there in Slippery Rock (an archery place). I have to tell you, these guys were world class, I could not do what they were consistently doing, even with a scoped rifle.

Shoot it from a rest, whether mechanical or just sandbags.

If you are performing inconsistently you are probably training inconsistently. Start with the fundamentals, from the footwork to the top of your head.

Assume a naturally balanced position, you may find it natural to assume somewhat of a boxing stance in order to get the feel of having your center of mass centered over your feet.

Decide upon the Weaver or isosceles stance, both have advantages and disadvantages but you are likely to be more comfortable with one v. the other.

Stand upright, keep your chin level, don't allow it to droop.

Understand the breathing cycle. Muscle tremors are induced for a few seconds after you hold your breath, as you continue to hold your breath the tremors are followed by a period of calm lasting several seconds, then the tremors return. It's important to time your breaths.

Grip and trigger control are two huge factors. It can be a natural tendency to tea cup the support hand like a saucer. This is inconsistent, and ineffective from a recoil control standpoint.

I'll let Jeff Cooper describe the surprise break, and warn you against "pushing".

(When Cooper talks about seeing the front site it's in the context of seeing it during recoil)

Springer Precision used to host two videos about grip techniques that were very good. They don't seem to be linked on Springer's site anymore, but I found the links in an old, old, post of mine.

To save them, right click on the link and hit "save target as".

http://www.oregonshooting.com/vids/spgrip1.wmv

http://www.oregonshooting.com/vids/grip2.wmv

I'm out of time for now, probably post more stuff later.

Download the "us army marksmanship unit pistol marksmanship training guide" in pdf from from an internet source. Read it.
    Last edited by ForwardAssist; March 15th, 2012 at 08:14 PM.

"X is what percentage of Y?" Divide the first number by the second, multiply the answer by 100. Add a percent sign. Think.

Quote Originally Posted by ForwardAssist View Post
    Download the "us army marksmanship unit pistol marksmanship training guide" in pdf from from an internet source. Read it.

Thank you for the response. Looks like a have good base to start from. I actually have the US Army Training Guide bookmarked but I am going to check out the video tutorials you offered. Thanks!

Np, man!

The "rotated and locked" support wrist also helps in another way which he doesn't mention. It makes your support arm just a tiny bit longer effectively, which makes for a more natual isocolese stance imo.

"X is what percentage of Y?" Divide the first number by the second, multiply the answer by 100. Add a percent sign. Think.

Quote Originally Posted by ForwardAssist View Post
    Np, man!

The "rotated and locked" support wrist also helps in another way which he doesn't mention. It makes your support arm just a tiny bit longer effectively, which makes for a more natual isocolese stance imo.
    +1 rep (if someone has some to go around)...looks like I got you sometime in the past. Thanks again FA!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    I'm starting to take this more seriously. Some days I'm hot some days I'm not. When I'm not, my groups are about 5-6 inches @ 25 feet with my 9mm SR9c. I use Federal target ammo (the 19.97 value pack). One day I used Remington 100cts, the hollow point brand about 28.00 and was hitting real nicely.

In truth, I probably just suck (the SR9c shoots better than me). How much better would the Glock 34 be for me? Any recommendations on ammunition? I do know that the CCI ammo I used over the bulk Federal in my Mark III improved my accuracy significantly. Training? I am particularly interested in perhaps a website which has benchmarks for my weapon in terms of expectancy for group size, etc. Thank You in advance.

All the best.

Easy answer.
    Since I know I shoot better then you, give me your gun and all your ammo and I'll shoot it. If I shoot it better then you then you know the gun shoots better then you, if not then the gun is no good.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

Quote Originally Posted by comsubin61 View Post
    Easy answer.
    Since I know I shoot better then you, give me your gun and all your ammo and I'll shoot it. If I shoot it better then you then you know the gun shoots better then you, if not then the gun is no good.
    hahahaha

A lot of good input already. My question is what are you trying to do? More defensive or more bullseye type shooting? I mean, of course we all try to shoot decent groups, and I used to be more focused and concerned about that too.

I carry, daily. I've come to the realization that all I need are good, combat accurate, COM, hits. Strive for no flyers. I'm shootin for the bad guy, not other shit. Once you become proficient with that, start to incorporate the draw and perhaps some movement if your range allows it. Get off the X.

Other than that, take a couple classes if time and money allows. That and practice, practice.

I dont have a 1911. I dont have a 2.5# trigger pull. My slide to frame fit isnt tighter than a bulls ass. I'd rather not stand on a line and take precise, aimed, shots, with 5sec splits. Thats not real world. Just like sitting on a bench with your rifle isnt either.

If you are trying to shoot bullseye and get the tightest groups possible, disregard everything I just said and get yourself a better pistol (for that role). If your aim is at what I just talked about, quit worrying about groups and concentrate on hits, your SR9c is plenty good and more and so is the ammo you mentioned.
    and to the dust you shall return

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast