Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Alaska Fishing Trip

I am planning a fishing trip to Alaska with my son and my two grandsons this June or July. I am wondering besides bear spray, should I take any side arm for bear protection. I have a SW 44 Mag, Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. and a big boy SW 500 Mag. 8 3/8 inch barrel. I have not decided exactly where yet and would also appreciate any inputs.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Alaska Fishing Trip

I would suggest against the single action revolver, as it does not work well with one hand. I would also suggest against the long barreled 500, as it is heavy, large and would be difficult to use with one hand. It is not clear what Smith 44 mag revolver you have, but I will tell you what I would use: A four inch barreled Smith and Wesson 629 stoked with heavy hard cast solid lead bullets loaded a bit below maximum velocity.

For the sake of argument and educational purposes I will expand on my reasoning. You appear to be concerned about defense from bears. This would indicate that a defensive handgun in a chambering suitable for bear would be the most logical choice. A defensive scenario is a fight, no doubt about it. A handgun is useful in a fight because it can be used by one hand. Using the best defensive weapon you have at your disposal is ideal. The double action revolver is a very capable defensive platform. Neither the 500 magnum nor the single action revolver are what I would consider good defensive weapons.

A note about ammunition, there is no need to get the hottest loads possible. A good hard cast solid lead bullet going a upper medium velocity will penetrate and can kill with the right placement.

Do not just limit yourself to handguns, bring along a shotgun as well. An inexpensive pump action shotgun like a Mossberg 500 with an extended magazine tube, equipped with a nylon sling and loaded with slugs would be a much more effective tool if indeed shooting a bear was required.

Have fun.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Northumberland County)

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .454 (they call it the Alaskan for a reason) LOL

This S&W has to be good for bears, it has a Bear on it.

EDIT:

As far as getting your gun there, If you are staying at a lodge or hotel you might want to think about shipping it there rather than dealing with trying to take a firearm on a plane.
    Last edited by Quigar57; March 15th, 2012 at 11:56 AM.

(Washington County)

I agree with Steve, use one of your double actions and/or consider a long gun. Are you flying or driving? I assume flying but if driving will there be any hassle with a handgun traveling through Canada?

(Monroe County)

Do not just limit yourself to handguns, bring along a shotgun as well. An inexpensive pump action shotgun like a Mossberg 500 with an extended magazine tube, equipped with a nylon sling and loaded with slugs would be a much more effective tool if indeed shooting a bear was required.

Knew a guy who lived up north for a while. Said they loaded their shotguns alternating between 000 buck and slugs. Called it a 'bear load'.

(Washington County)

Are you going unguided or using a guide service? Maybe you can ask someone local to there about the real likelyhood of a bear encounter. Although I also recommended a long-gun, I certainly understand not wanting to carry it while fishing.

I have the SW 629 in 4". I also have several shotguns with slug barrels but thought that they might not be practical if steam fishing? The .500 Mag is an awsome weapon and I have a cross chest holster for it. I was also thinking of getting a marlin 45-70 but does that make sense for just a week or so..

(Centre County)

Question Re: Alaska Fishing Trip

What does your guide say? What does he carry? If you are fishing, he or one of his minions should/may/may want to hang back and be lookout with a dedicated bear taming long arm. Your 629 sounds like it should fulfill your needs....

Buying a gun for just a week is never a crime.....

Annnnd, lastly, I always wanted one of these but have no logical use for it and my shoulder nor my wallet will allow it....

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...re/1895SBL.asp
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Indiana County)

I've been fishing, hiking, and climbing up there quite a few times and when fishing there were quite a few bears around but it seemed like the bears didn't pay any attention at all to any people around they weren't there looking for trouble they were there to do their own fishing. If you want to carry while fishing there I would suggest the same as someone else did earlier, something like a 4" S&W .44 mag loaded with hard cast lead. The 500 you have seems a bit to big to be lugging around when fishing out there and the SA while not the worst isn't the best for this situation. The real problem you will run into is when you hook one of those giant salmon in a stream it's going to feel like you just hooked a tree washing down a raging river. Some of the most fun fishing I've ever had was in AK.

(Carbon County)

i wouldnt consider a handgun unless its what you really want to use. if thats the case i would carry at least a 6 inch barrel just to get full effect of the load you are shooting. otherwise, most of your guides and locals carry shotguns and rifles, and i would too. if you are going to handgun carry, nothing less then a 41 cal, with a the biggest load you can get for it. but if you are fishing and the bear are fishing they will usualy leave you alone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast