Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Default Opinions regarding Rossi (Interarms era) M971 .357mag

Hey guys,

Does anyone here own one of these / have owned / fired etc? I have the 2" .357 model stamped Interarms, VA. It looks IDENTICAL to a K frame.

I picked one up last week due to rumors of it being made on S&W K frame machinery? Apparently the Brazilian government forced the S&W facility workers to leave the country and seized the factory. Personally, I think this sounds like total bull&$!@ but I figured someone may be able to confirm fact or rumor.

Secondly, anyone fired one? I fired 50 rounds 130gr very comfortably with respectable accuracy at 10 yards - then moved on to 10 rounds of .357 golden saber. Very happy with its performance and it's defenately safe to say it exceeded my expectations for what I spent. I shot it to test function and will likely find it's way to my carry rotation.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Opinions regarding Rossi (Interarms era) M971 .357mag

I have about 450 .357 Magnum and 800 .38 Special rounds through my 971. I've had no problems and the accuracy never fails to impress for the $180 I paid to get it. The only issue is that the cylinder sticks when I fire Hornady Critical Defense through it. The cartridges also made my friend's Ruger GP100 stick a bit so I figure it was more the ammunition than the revolver.

I have found endless amounts of rumors and contradicting anecdotes about the piece online - I've opted to dismiss the most of it.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Menandros View Post
    I have about 450 .357 Magnum and 800 .38 Special rounds through my 971. I've had no problems and the accuracy never fails to impress for the $180 I paid to get it. The only issue is that the cylinder sticks when I fire Hornady Critical Defense through it. The cartridges also made my friend's Ruger GP100 stick a bit so I figure it was more the ammunition than the revolver.

I have found endless amounts of rumors and contradicting anecdotes about the piece online - I've opted to dismiss the most of it.
    I agree, $180 well spent. I think after tax and PICS I was just short of $190 but still very happy with the accuracy/reliability its displayed .. Don't know why I've gotten the wheelgun bug as of late!

My cyl got sticky on the last four rounds (.357) but still fired - I let her cool down after that. I figure it was the previous 56 rounds in less than 5 minutes that was the cause.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Jefferson County)

The Brazilian government didn't kick S&W out. That matter was a private business thing.

While Rossi's aren't S&W in quality, they certainly aren't junk either. I cant remember S&W's full involvement with Rossi, but I think the "borrowed" design is legitimate. Just like it is with S&W versus Taurus.

The Interarms era Rossi's were great. Even the Taurus production line of Rossi are still good. Again, they aren't S&W but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. All manufacturers puts out lemons. But of course, we all only remember the lemons.

Your 971 is based on the K-frame as you have deduced. And in some respects it is a better design that the S&W. Watchout using powerhouse loads, and avoid the 125gr JHP's. The forcing cone is rather thin on K-frames. The hot little 125gr's are known to beating the forcing cone up, even on brandname S&W guns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I owned one years ago - 4" Stainless, I sold it when I 'Upgraded' to a Ruger Police Service Six. Never had a problem with it from I remember, Back in those days I was short on accessible cash, So I sold it to take the sting out of buying the Ruger.

I remember comparing them side by side and the Cylinder walls being a lot thinner on the 971, But then Ruger always tended to Overbuild their revolvers back in those days anyhow.

Glad I got the Ruger, But still wouldn't mind having my 971 back.

As far as I'm concerned, They are Good guns, They just aren't top of the line.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Bucks County)

Quality is fairly low on them. I have seen a boat load of broken/non-functional examples pass through here over the years.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Quality is fairly low on them. I have seen a boat load of broken/non-functional examples pass through here over the years.
    Were most of these unfortunate examples made before or after the taurus takeover? I am not a cheerleader for rossi, but there could be a quality difference between the pre and post taurus era.

(Cumberland County)

Can't speak to the 971, but I have a 462 ( 357 mag ) and have not had any issues with it. I changed out the grips to wood, and bobbed the hammer for the fun of it on mine. For the money, a nice pistol !

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    Were most of these unfortunate examples made before or after the taurus takeover? I am not a cheerleader for rossi, but there could be a quality difference between the pre and post taurus era.
    I could not say- I am not very up on which company is making which.
    I would say I have seen problematic guns since around 1986- I remember the first one it was a .38spl marked gun that was bored to accept .357 mag ammo.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Northumberland County)

I have a stainless M971 with a 6" barrel. I was new to revolvers and this was for sale used....and I thought the price was fair....looked like it was never shot much, the cylinder locked up fine, and it had great balance and I loved the feel.

I have over 1000 rds down the pipe, 600+ .38 and 300+ .357.

It is still to this day the best $225 I spent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast