Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Anyone know the model or caliber

Can anyone id this. I know it is a Rohm/RG but not sure which model or even the caliber. My Mother found it in the attic, we thought we had found all of Dads guns after he died a long time ago, but missed this one. It is a cheap Rohm/RG I know, and in with the gun was a few rounds of 38 smith and wesson ( not spl ) but I don't think it is 38 s&w - but not sure. No markings on the gun anywhere except serial number on butt and import mark on right side under cylinder ( Buddie Arms Co., Ft. Worth Texas ), and what seems to be a small 71 inside a circle on left side just behind barrel. And for added fun, the cylinder won't open Being a Rohm/RG, not even sure if it's worth getting fixed.

Default Re: Anyone know the model or caliber

Definitely not worth getting fixed. Their timing is usually horrible and they have a lot of light strikes, so it's not even worth keeping around as a last-ditch piece.

So you know they're cheap.....but do you know that they're made of potmetal and have a penchant for coming apart when fired? No point in risking injury just because it was a free deal.

My opinion would be to turn it in at one of those police run gun-amnesty events where they give out gift cards for grocery stores in exchange for guns. My grandfather was given one when I was a kid.....we buried it after he tried to shoot 1 cylinder's worth of ammo.

(Indiana County)

Rohm Falcon.

Use it for a shifter knob, flush handle, etc... I wouldn't shoot it.

I do know a guy that has two of the Rohm .22's and they shoot, not target guns, but they work.

If the craftsmanship on the .38 is anything like the .22's, I wouldn't trust it.

Rohm is now Umarex and John Hinckley used a Rohm.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

I would just hang up "Dad's" gun and enjoy the memory of him.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks all - about what I figured. The gun actually looks to be in pretty good shape and pretty tight - all but the cylinder not opening, lol. Not sure why my ole man had this one - all of his guns were pretty good quality, not like him to pick up one of these - I'm sure there was a story somewhere about it ! I'll have a friend check it out, and if it costs more than a case of beer to fix - it will be a new workbench paperweight !

(Westmoreland County)

that's the 38 version. they came in 2, 3, 4 and 6 inch (I was told)......horrible gun to shoot and in my opinion only good as a wall hanger. I have one on the wall and replaced the grips and polished the snot out of it. As a wall hanger it is good but I don't have the balls to fire it (and mine are pretty big)

If you decide to part with it let me know. I am looking for a second one to hang across from the other.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Delaware County)

Take it to a gun buy back and get a $100.00 card.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

I recently bought a Rohm model 66 22 MAGNUM at a gun show, and I've taken it to the range with my 15 year old son. We shot over 200 rounds through it, and not one misfire. It shoots pretty straight, and the cylinder does not open. There is a gate where you load it, and mine has a casing ejector rod on the barrel to get the spent rounds out.

I have only read a few good posts on my type of gun, and people either love it or they hate it. I read one post about a Rohm breaking in half while it was being shot, and another one saying that fragments come out where the cylinder meets the barrel.

It's a nice looking gun, but I think I'm gonna do a little bit of real searching, and even have a gunsmith take a look at it before I shoot it again. As I siad though, I shot a lot of rounds through it, and without any problems. In my opinion it's a decent pistol, but now I have trust issues with it. What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Definitely not worth getting fixed. Their timing is usually horrible and they have a lot of light strikes, so it's not even worth keeping around as a last-ditch piece.

So you know they're cheap.....but do you know that they're made of potmetal and have a penchant for coming apart when fired? No point in risking injury just because it was a free deal.

My opinion would be to turn it in at one of those police run gun-amnesty events where they give out gift cards for grocery stores in exchange for guns. My grandfather was given one when I was a kid.....we buried it after he tried to shoot 1 cylinder's worth of ammo.
    I hope you said a prayer at the burial.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgtv256 View Post
    It shoots pretty straight, and the cylinder does not open. There is a gate where you load it, and mine has a casing ejector rod on the barrel to get the spent rounds out.
    The OP has the .38 version, and it appears that this model's cylinder DOES swing open when it is functioning properly.

Also, the thread is just about a year old so it's likely he's either stuck in on the wall/in a safe somewhere or figured out how to open it, fired it, and has not been heard from since

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast