Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Gander Mountain=Ripoff

I went to a gun bash last night with a few friends. My one friend won a gun off of the main entrance ticket, one that he didn't want and had no use for. It was a S&W model 629 stls 44 mag. I told him not to worry, though, becuase the gun was worth a good bit, so he could easily afford something nice. He went up to the front table, only to be informed that he HAD to accept this gun because it was on the ticket. They made him instacheck it, instantly making it a "used" gun. he went in today to try to upgrade the gun, and they offered him half of what they sell the gun for. He basically told them to stick it, he won't sell it to them for half it's value.

I know he "won" the gun, and it is free money, but it is still total bullshit. I hated gander before this, now I hate them even more. I can honestly say that I will never buy another thing from this outfit. They are overpriced as it is, but i think now they have gone too far.

Does anyone know how gunbroker works? how much do they charge the seller as a commission? Any advice would be great.

Ron

(Pike County)

Default Re: Gander Mountain=Ripoff

I hardly think that sounds like a rip off, he won it from them, they are free to make any rules as they wish, regardless of how stupid they may be. I think he should just be happy he won it at all...

(Allegheny County)

I believe that clubs get special deals on the guns they buy for the gun tickets/bashes. Sometimes they are last years models and such. This is the only way that clubs can afford to sale tickets for these events at a reasonable price and still offer a good number of firearms thus increasing the chance for everyone to win.

I think you need to understand that when you go to one of these functions you are going to support the club/activity sponsering the event. If you win something good for you , if you don't better luck next time.

I think you/your friend need to be happy that you won.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Montgomery County)

There are a lot of people out there that will glady give him a nice chunk of change for a NIB unfired 629. Might take a little longer to sell but someone will definitely buy it. Try this forum for starters and try to get a FTF sale.

(Monroe County)

He(and you), should be happy that he won at all. If he does not want to keep the gun, all he has to do is find someone willing to pay what he is asking for it. There has to be someone that he knows willing to purchase it from him. Then all that they have to do is go to a FFL and pay the transfer fee. WIN WIN situation. Your friend gets more than what a store will give him on trade, and the other person gets a brand new gun for less than retail. Most all gun shops that I know of will generally only give 50% of retail for trades. This is nothing new, just the way it is.

(Westmoreland County)

Its always better to try to sell to a individually then at a gun store.

He should try to sell it here under the Classifieds section
    Last edited by RUDY850; February 10th, 2008 at 08:07 PM.

(Adams County)

Did I read that right?......a FREE S&W 629?.....didn't want and no use for?

Hey, I'm a Ruger guy but my Golly! A FREE 629?

I or anybody I know should be so luck!

Only half it's worth at Gander? I'll give 65% okay?

(Lycoming County)

I agree with the OP, it is bullshit. You get these stores that get by on the peoples lack of knowledge about firearms. I am certain that they would get just about the full value for the item that was traded, thereby doubling their money. I fault no business that uses the capitalist system to get the best market value for an item, however their method (since they are the original setting factor to the value) leaves much to be desired in the customer service end of things.

All our local Fire Departments are aware of where they get the guns that are used in the gun raffles. Around here, if it is one of the "city slicker" stores, the sales are less than if a local dealer is used. No offense to Gander and Cabellas, et al, but we all know you are not getting the wheeling and dealing room as you do at the local shop. I have no use for a 17 HMR, my 9 yo uses bigger guns

Just my $.02.

Be safe

I'd sure like to win a Mdl 29.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    I agree with the OP, it is bullshit. You get these stores that get by on the peoples lack of knowledge about firearms. I am certain that they would get just about the full value for the item that was traded, thereby doubling their money. I fault no business that uses the capitalist system to get the best market value for an item, however their method (since they are the original setting factor to the value) leaves much to be desired in the customer service end of things.

All our local Fire Departments are aware of where they get the guns that are used in the gun raffles. Around here, if it is one of the "city slicker" stores, the sales are less than if a local dealer is used. No offense to Gander and Cabellas, et al, but we all know you are not getting the wheeling and dealing room as you do at the local shop. I have no use for a 17 HMR, my 9 yo uses bigger guns

Just my $.02.

Be safe
    I'll take that 17hmr at 65% too......and not for my 9yo (actually my youngest is 3yo).....but for me and my other kids at 10yo, 12yo and 18yo.....the wife too but I can't do the age thing on her!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast