Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lawrence County)

Default Re: Free Range Near State College/Bellefonte area

Thanks Flick, I think im going to try and head out there tomorrow afternoon if the rain holds off

(Centre County)

I for one can promise you this...If i am out there and there is a large group shooting 1 ro 2 guns in the group and the magazine capacities are being violated I am going to call the game commission and request an officer come and check every single person there.

I am sick and tired of going out there with a guest, many times one of my children, and feeling usafe because people are not following the rules. Those rules are established for a reason and if you do not like them the go somewhere else.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddyjo View Post
    I for one can promise you this...If i am out there and there is a large group shooting 1 ro 2 guns in the group and the magazine capacities are being violated I am going to call the game commission and request an officer come and check every single person there.

I am sick and tired of going out there with a guest, many times one of my children, and feeling usafe because people are not following the rules. Those rules are established for a reason and if you do not like them the go somewhere else.

I totally agree with you on that one there Bigdaddyjo.We have the same problem at SGL58 range in Mifflinville.The commission was called and they have been handing out fines.We have people walking out in front of the shooting tables and firing and not following the rules for round limits here too.Don't know exactly what problems you are having out there,but definately the game commission needs to be aware of thes problems.
    Last edited by Mr.C; April 10th, 2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Misspelling and wrong words used

(Centre County)

ITT
    Fudds gonna fudd

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddyjo View Post

The mag capacity rules have nothing to do with safety. If you see people acting in an unsafe manner, I'd say by all means report it. I have. But personally, if I see someone loading more than 6 rounds in a pistol or 3 rounds in a rifle....that's hardly worth calling in the law. Even the range attendants in State College don't typically do that.

(Lawrence County)

I go to scotia almost every week/weekend now and have yet to have any trouble with safety issues in regards to others, granted I usually go at 8am when the range opens and usually have the aux range to myself or almost to myself. The couple times that I have shot inside the gates I have not had any trouble, I did notice some people shooting pistols with more than 6 rounds but in my own opinion as long as your not doing mag dumps I don't see anything wrong with it. From what I understand the magazine capacity limits were set in place so that individuals with large capacity magazine could not monopolize the range and so that other would have an opportunity to check/change targets. My wheelgun that i shoot most often only holds 6 so i guess i will just have to abide by the rules

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA452 View Post
    The mag capacity rules have nothing to do with safety.....that's hardly worth calling in the law. .
    His statement makes me think he also calls the cops if his neighbors put their trashcans on the curb too early.

(Columbia County)

I go out to Scotia every couple weeks either after work or on the weekends. Every time I go I hope I have the range to myself. Inside the fence isn't so bad since there is an actual firing line, but the auxiliary range can be downright scary. I've been swept so many times by people on the aux range I can't believe no one has been hurt. That, and people handling (and loading!) guns while others are downrange shooting. Maybe you've been lucky, but if you think the safety at Scotia is OK you may want to re-evaluate your standards. After having a ND land a foot from my toe b/c someone did something stupid (in a friend's house) I have no tolerance for unsafe practices. I have not had the opportunity yet, but I'm sure I'll be placing phone calls to the PGC for some of these people.

As far as round limits, I have no problem with more than 6 in a mag. It's the groups that show up and load every weapon to capacity and then proceed to try and blow the target stand away that I have a problem with. It is clear to me that they have no interest in improvement and get their jollies from hearing the gun go bang.
    They let me play with chemicals!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12