Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Inherited Guns

(Montgomery County)

Default Inherited Guns

My husband and I recently inherited 2 hand guns and an AR-15 from a relative who passed away. The guns were not listed as part of the estate but were given to us by his grandfather who was the executor of will. The guns were found in the house during the clean out. Everything was left to his grandfather.

Are there any legal actions we need to take?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Inherited Guns

What is your relation to the deceased or the executer? Was the executor your husbands Grandfather?

(Montgomery County)

The deceased is a cousin of my husband's grandfather. My husband's grandfather was the executor of the will. Also, all of this took place in PA.

(Monroe County)

I'm not a lawyer but since your husbands grandfather gifted them to to him there is nothing to do.
    An exchange between grandfathers and grandsons doesn't require a transfer. There is a lawyer on this site and I'm guessing he will post here eventually.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket88 View Post
    My husband and I recently inherited 2 hand guns and an AR-15 from a relative who passed away. The guns were not listed as part of the estate but were given to us by his grandfather who was the executor of will. The guns were found in the house during the clean out. Everything was left to his grandfather.

Are there any legal actions we need to take?
    If I interpret your statement correctly your husband's grandfather is the beneficiary of the firearm. If correct then he did not transfer them to you in his capacity of executor but as a personal gift in his own right. He inherited them and subsequently gifted them to you and your husband.

As to the issue of that gifting no further action need be taken with respect to the husband since he qualifies as a 2nd generation descendant of the giftor PROVIDED both he and the grandfather are PA residents and the transfer occurs within PA.

As to the grandfather-in-law gifting to you, he can only gift you longarms without the use of an FFL (assuming the same residency/locale provision above). Handgun gifts to you must go through an FFL.
    IANAL

(Lawrence County)

If the handguns were gifted to your husband he can gift one to you without a ffl transfer also. I'd think twice about carrying one though, leos tend to confiscate handguns that aren't registered to you on their illegal registry they call a "sales database" then make you get a court order to return them.

(Montgomery County)

Thank you all for your insight! My husband is the owner of the guns and I only use them while at the range together. So currently no need to worry about the FFL transfer from my grandfather in-law.