Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Need Kimber Education

Looks like I'm in a position to acquire a new 1911. On an impulse I decided to check with the local gunshop to see what kind of a trade he would make on a couple of pistols that I seldom use. I wa suprised to find that a Kimber Custom II or TLE II were part of the best deal he came up with.
    As I look at all of the Kimber models, it seems that an awful lot of them are very similar. They're all grouped together at a similar price point.
    I'd be very grateful if Kimber owners/admirers could tell me what they know. Which model is most desireable, which is overrated. I can afford to choose one with a price point (final discounted price) of $650 for a Custom II up to around $875 for the TLE II

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Need Kimber Education

The Custom 2 is Kimbers base model 1911. Not as much tightening work or polishing and throating to the ramp and chamber also has std. sights instead of Night sights.

The TLE 2 stands for Tactical Law Enforcement. It is almost identical to the LAPD SWAT gun. They are equipt with factory Night Sights and have had a little tightening and extra polishing done to the ramp and chambers

The TLE is the more accurate of the 2 and is also better suited for defensive purposes. The front strap is also checkered on the TLE.

I have the TLE 2 and my bro carries the Custom 2. He has never had any problems with his and has several hundred rounds thru it.

I have over 6000 rounds thru my TLE and can honestly say I have never had a single problem with it. Kimber recomends that you change the recoil spring after 2500 rounds and I didn't even bother to do that. I finaly changed mine at 6000 rounds when I converted it over to shoot 45 Super which only required a heavier recoil spring and I cam still shoot 230gr 45 ACP without problems for cheaper practice ammo.

The prices you posted are close to retail for both guns so I hope they are BEFORE trade in allowance.

JMHO,
    Rich W.

Thumbs up Get the TLE

I can only echo on what Rich said, the TLE has better feeatures IMHO and will maintain a higher resale value if you decide to sell later on down the road.

I've grown so accustomed to the front strap checking that I wouldn't buy another 1911 (unless vintage) that doesn't have it, I wouldn't say it's a requirement, but it's a damn nice thing to have, and I like the grip it provides much more than any rubber wrap around grip from Hogue or Pachmayr.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Lawrence County)

From my experience, all the Kimbers shoot about the same. I have a couple Kimbers and have shot most grades including the Gold Match and USA Shooting Team models.

You usually pay for the extra options like checkering, sights and different finishes.

That being said I don't like the Series II safety and have broken 2 of them. For that reason alone I recommend the Warrior versions.

Lycanrippedouttheseries2junkthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

I own a Stainless II (it is the stainless version of the Custom II) and I really like it. It is the same gun as the TLE II, just without the night sights and frontstrap checkering. TLE IIs are not any tighter or more fitted, or polished. All these guns are very tight out of the box, and from all the ones I have shot (Custom II, TLE II, Gold Match), inherently accurate. So, basically, you just need to decide what options you want on your gun. If you want the night sights and front strap checkering, go for the TLE, if you don't, I would go with the Custom II.