Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Handgun advice please

Hi all,

I am after some constructive advice regarding a new gun purchase. The handgun would primarily be used for IDPA type shooting, because of this I am thinking about a 9mm because of the extra magazine capacity.

Due to an accident several years ago I lost the use of an arm, so, I shoot leftie, I may need to rule out polymer framed guns, as I would prefer something with a little more weight to assist with reducing muzzle flip.

I am seriously considering a Beretta 92FS, but, would welcome any additional advice.

Regards,

Jake

Default Re: Handgun advice please

My first look would be a Sig P226. CZ 75 or Browning High Power, second. The Beretta that you are looking at, in my opinion, would only be rivaled by the Sig, and personally, it would be my first choice.

The recoil on the HK P30 and USP, though polymers, is quite low. Don't rule out a double stack Para 1911, as well.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    My first look would be a Sig P226. CZ 75 or Browning High Power, second. The Beretta that you are looking at, in my opinion, would only be rivaled by the Sig, and personally, it would be my first choice.

The recoil on the HK P30 and USP, though polymers, is quite low. Don't rule out a double stack Para 1911, as well.
    I agree with all of this except the double stack Para. I would stay away from them.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Susquehanna County)

Magazine capacity is limited in IDPA, 10 rounds maximum in SSP and ESP, 8 rounds maximum for CDP. You may use a magazine with greater capacity, but you may only load the division maximum. Starting with a round chambered and magazine loaded to division capacity is the norm.

It might be good for you to go the IDPA website and read the rulebook and see the full defintion for the different divisions. Base your decision on what division(s) you want to compete in. Be aware also that there are reloading requirements in many if not most stages so you will need some means of doing safe (even if not particulary fast) reloads.

You might also want to look at the S&W M&P (9mm .40, or .45). The low barrel axis might help control muzzle filp especially if you use a strong high grip.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lawrence County)

The G34 is pretty much "the" IDPA game gun these days. A gen 4 gun can easily switch the mag release and a 3lb trigger pull will cost you about $40. Sights are also cheap and easy to install.

The double stack guns are also easier to reload.

LycanG35thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Magazine capacity is limited in IDPA, 10 rounds maximum in SSP and ESP, 8 rounds maximum for CDP. You may use a magazine with greater capacity, but you may only load the division maximum. Starting with a round chambered and magazine loaded to division capacity is the norm.

It might be good for you to go the IDPA website and read the rulebook and see the full defintion for the different divisions. Base your decision on what division(s) you want to compete in. Be aware also that there are reloading requirements in many if not most stages so you will need some means of doing safe (even if not particulary fast) reloads.

You might also want to look at the S&W M&P (9mm .40, or .45). The low barrel axis might help control muzzle filp especially if you use a strong high grip.
    Thanks for thhis, I did look at the IDPA Website, and, will, in all likelyhood be shooting SSP. If the rules allow you to reholster the firearm, I would, with the slide locked back, release the empty magazine, holster the weapon, insert new magazine, draw the weapon, release the slide and continue the course of fire...not quick, but, if done correctly (methodically), safe .

(Chester County)

Idpa only allows 10 rounds in a magazine, so the additional capacity would not be a factor there

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpl2407 View Post
    Thanks for thhis, I did look at the IDPA Website, and, will, in all likelyhood be shooting SSP. If the rules allow you to reholster the firearm, I would, with the slide locked back, release the empty magazine, holster the weapon, insert new magazine, draw the weapon, release the slide and continue the course of fire...not quick, but, if done correctly (methodically), safe .
    Ummm... I don't know about that one. Generally holstering your firearm means you're done with the course of fire. You might be able to ask the RSO before the start of the stage just to make sure. There are also different courses of fire which require you shoot with your off hand, you would have to discuss that as well.

Either way there are only a few things you really need to do to be safe (and keep from getting booted!):
    1. Keep your finger out of the trigger guard unless actively shooting. Hell, I've made that mistake and needed a reminder once.
    2. Never break the 180 degree rule. You will be facing down an area. The RO will be behind you. Your shoulders make the 180 line. If you walk past a target (depending on stage setup), you cannot turn around to shoot it, you have to walk backwards to shoot. Not an actual rule, but still. Common sense... lol
    3. When finished shooting make sure you clear your weapon. Drop the mag, rack the slide, and make sure to look ALL the way down the barrel. Drop the slide and dry fire down range in a safe direction. Then re-holster.

Shooting is fun, shooting against a timer is stress and adrenalin. I liken it to being in a gun fight without the people shooting back fast enough. Soon as I here the RO ask "Shooter Ready?" my heart rate climbs 20 beats a minute! lol

Videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8kMPgbSp30
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFDaVIbJ4AU
    Last edited by Chazman321; March 14th, 2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Wrong dang button!
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Susquehanna County)

I've been working as an SO at a local club for 7 years. We have a couple competitors who're disabled to varying degrees. One chap has lost over 50% of his left hand but still has enough of it left to rack the slide and manipulate the magazines. Most Safety Officers are pretty good at making allowances for disabled shooters as long as the stage can be run safely.

Now that you have read the rule book maybe you should go observe a match at the club where you intend to compete and talk to the Safety Officer's and Match Director. It's possible that instead requiring you to perform reloads or other actions that might be beyond your physical capabilities or bend the safety rules, it might be possible to modify the Course of Fire to fit. For example instead of engaing 5 targets with 3 rounds each in Tactical Sequence, you might be asked to engage with 2 rounds each and finish at slide lock. You might also be allowed to remain at slide lock, with pistol holstered, when going from station to station.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Thanks for al the advice, after much deliberation and trying out of all suggestions made, I went with a Beretta 92FS, I love it, feels very good, sturdy, and, accurate, everything I was looking for

Regards,

Jake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast