Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bell and Carlson rifle stocks

Who can tell me a bit about them? I just placed and order for a Medalist stock for my Weatherby, and of course and the website it says how great they are and I know the rep. they have is a good one but I can't really find many reviews on them. I know some of you long range guys can get in on this, I'm not looking for long range accuracy just more consistency than the stock plastic.It did shoot the Federal Fusions I had with a dirty hot barrel 5-shot group at 100yds all 5 were touching each other but the first 2 shots (7 fired) opened it up from .5" to about 2". I think my stock is touching when the barrel gets a bit warm cause with different ammo I get either a good cold bore 2-shot group then it starts to open up or I get 2 flyers and then it shots the ass out of a gnat.
    I know the Weatherby's do not float the barrels on the Vanguards and I was going to bed the action and float my barrel but I think I would rather get a better stock first and move up from there. So anyway what can you guys tell me about the B&C Medalist stock?

Default Re: Bell and Carlson rifle stocks

I have one...BC are better than most factory stocks, but they don't compare to a high dollar stock such as Manners or McMillan.

I had my Medalist stock inlet for my CDI DBM a couple of years ago and I have not had an issue with the stock thus far. The one nice thing about BC is that they offer various camo patterns and won't charge you your kidney to purchase the stock.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    Who can tell me a bit about them? I just placed and order for a Medalist stock for my Weatherby, and of course and the website it says how great they are and I know the rep. they have is a good one but I can't really find many reviews on them. I know some of you long range guys can get in on this, I'm not looking for long range accuracy just more consistency than the stock plastic.It did shoot the Federal Fusions I had with a dirty hot barrel 5-shot group at 100yds all 5 were touching each other but the first 2 shots (7 fired) opened it up from .5" to about 2". I think my stock is touching when the barrel gets a bit warm cause with different ammo I get either a good cold bore 2-shot group then it starts to open up or I get 2 flyers and then it shots the ass out of a gnat.
    I know the Weatherby's do not float the barrels on the Vanguards and I was going to bed the action and float my barrel but I think I would rather get a better stock first and move up from there. So anyway what can you guys tell me about the B&C Medalist stock?
    B&C make a fine stock and I believe it is comparable to some of the other more expensive makers on the market. I purchased one about a year ago for my 700 SPS

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I have one...BC are better than most factory stocks, but they don't compare to a high dollar stock such as Manners or McMillan.
    You'll here a lot of the above, which isn't necessarily untrue, but I'd venture, unless you are a dedicated long range shooter, the B&C is a great stock and a better value....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    You'll here a lot of the above, which isn't necessarily untrue, but I'd venture, unless you are a dedicated long range shooter, the B&C is a great stock and a better value....
    I'm a dedicated long range shooter, and I've never felt like my B&C was a setback. I did originally purchase the stock as a "cheaper" option in the build until I could replace it. I definitely will replace the stock with a McMillan, Manners or a chassis system, I just haven't gotten around to it. Still, I've never felt like my B&C was a weak point. My rifle has turned out a LOT of groups that are 3-3.5" groups at 700 and 800 yards, even in some pretty windy conditions, consistently. The shooter will definitely be much more of a limiting factor than the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I think you'll be pleased with the stock, and they definitely beat the heck out of flimsy plastic stocks that come on rifles. What you're describing may be caused by the barrel touching the stock, but there are other possibilities. Still, if you want to change out the stock, and have the barrel free floated, you should. With the bedding block in the B&C, you wouldn't necessarily have to bed the action, but it's still never a bad idea to skim bed an action if you have the time or funds. In my experience the B&C stocks are definitely consistent, and rock solid. They're not a Manners or a McMillan, but they are hard to beat for the price. I believe B&C stocks are definitely better than Choate and some of the other options. HS Precision stocks cost quite a lot more than B&C, and I don't think the HS Precision stocks are any better. They're mighty proud of those stocks, and they're basically the exact same thing. So I'd say you can feel pretty safe with your choice. Let us know if it helps with the problem you've been having. Best of luck to you.

(Monroe County)

I picked up a B&C Medalist M40 stock last fall for my Remmy 700 SPS Tactical and it was a drop in and works great. The only thing left is for the camo paint job this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    I picked up a B&C Medalist M40 stock last fall for my Remmy 700 SPS Tactical and it was a drop in and works great. The only thing left is for the camo paint job this spring.
    I can actually do some real nice camo, I would be happy to do your rifle. Check out my AK for sale ad or my "home grown camo" thread, it turned out nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I think you'll be pleased with the stock, and they definitely beat the heck out of flimsy plastic stocks that come on rifles. What you're describing may be caused by the barrel touching the stock, but there are other possibilities. Still, if you want to change out the stock, and have the barrel free floated, you should. With the bedding block in the B&C, you wouldn't necessarily have to bed the action, but it's still never a bad idea to skim bed an action if you have the time or funds. In my experience the B&C stocks are definitely consistent, and rock solid. They're not a Manners or a McMillan, but they are hard to beat for the price. I believe B&C stocks are definitely better than Choate and some of the other options. HS Precision stocks cost quite a lot more than B&C, and I don't think the HS Precision stocks are any better. They're mighty proud of those stocks, and they're basically the exact same thing. So I'd say you can feel pretty safe with your choice. Let us know if it helps with the problem you've been having. Best of luck to you.
    Can you tell me a bit more about this? I can assume what it is but what would be the benefits?

(Perry County)

I have a B&C on a custom 284 winchester. I did "glass" bed the action with a brownell's kit. I also stiffened up the forearm with an aluminum arrrow shaft so it wouldn't have so much flex when using a tight sling for offhand shooting. I don't think I'd buy another one.
    Molon Labe

(Allegheny County)

Something for my Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308

Ordered a Bell & Carlson Remington 700 Light Tactical Stock from Brownells. Got free shipping cause I'm Irish!

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...TACTICAL-STOCK

Why do manufacturers have to call so many parts tactical?

I also ordered a Timney trigger. Thank God it's not tactical.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast