Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunset Hill

(Lehigh County)

Default Sunset Hill

A friend who's never shot before is visiting from Ohio, and a taxi driver recently mentioned a range called Sunset Hill. Judging from the website, it seems like a nice place that would accommodate my guns and also has rentals in case something catches my friend's eye.

Has anyone been to Sunset Hill who can report on its quality?

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Sunset Hill

I've never been there, but have had several people recommend the place. I would go there if I wanted to rent a gun, but I have enough to keep me busy for now.

(Monroe County)

Sunset Hill does NOT rent guns. You pay a dollar per round to shoot any gun. It's a tourist attraction.

As far as being able to shoot your own guns, you will need to pay for the annual membership which is 30 or 35$, plus take their worthless safety course. Anyone who wishes to shoot in the, "members area" will need to pay this fee. In this area, you can only shoot your own guns.

The other area is the "rental area", where you choose a gun, the instructor places 7 rounds in the magazine, at $7, and you fire the gun while standing directly beside the instructor. It's $7 for 7 rounds of 9mm to 45acp, and only gets more expensive as you go up in caliber.

If you find my information lacking credibility, be sure to call ahead and ask them about their pricing before you make the trip. There are quite a few gun ranges in the lehigh valley/allentown area that are if not cheaper atleast closer and will likely accomodate your needs better than sunset shill.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Have not gone to Sunset Hill in over ten years,Jcabin describes it accuratley a Tourist Trap/Attraction !

I'll add my 2 cents. Haven't been there in well over a year. If you do some searching here you will find my rants about the place.

In a nutshell it's a tourist trap and because of that everyone, experienced or not, is treated like a tourist. THE ROs (except for one who is a member here) hover over you like you are a child, they are so bad at times you want to turn around and tell them to FO.

Secondly they won't let you shoot reloads and / or re-manufactured ammo (which is all I shoot) yet they pick up the brass at night and the owner reloads it for his "$1 a shot" tourist guns .... nice huh?

I live 15 minutes from it and we had memberships but you will never see our butts over there.

(Pike County)

I visit Sunset Hill every now and then, usually because a friend from the city comes up and has a place in Gouldsborough and Sunset isn't too far or I take a nice day off to go shooting since the drive from where I live (via the backroads) is beautiful. I will say this, never visit the place on a weekend or holiday. It is a tourist trap indeed, you will be on a line for 30 mins and you will have to rub elbows with the cast from the Jersey Shore and the "Ghetto Gansters" from the inner city. Go on a weekday and it's very nice, ghost town to be precise. I had a bad experience awhile back with one of the range officers and my father, after that I only went 2-3 times. On those visits the RO's were nice as was the girl at the desk. I am joining a member only club soon so I will probably ever visit Sunset Hill when I absolutely have to.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; March 13th, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    I visit Sunset Hill every now and then, usually because a friend from the city comes up and has a place in Gouldsborough and Sunset isn't too far or I take a nice day off to go shooting since the drive from where I live (via the backroads) is beautiful.
    Eh. The Tobyhanna SGL range is about 10 minutes from Gouldsboro.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Sunset Hill does NOT rent guns. You pay a dollar per round to shoot any gun. It's a tourist attraction.

As far as being able to shoot your own guns, you will need to pay for the annual membership which is 30 or 35$, plus take their worthless safety course. Anyone who wishes to shoot in the, "members area" will need to pay this fee. In this area, you can only shoot your own guns.

The other area is the "rental area", where you choose a gun, the instructor places 7 rounds in the magazine, at $7, and you fire the gun while standing directly beside the instructor. It's $7 for 7 rounds of 9mm to 45acp, and only gets more expensive as you go up in caliber.

If you find my information lacking credibility, be sure to call ahead and ask them about their pricing before you make the trip. There are quite a few gun ranges in the lehigh valley/allentown area that are if not cheaper atleast closer and will likely accomodate your needs better than sunset shill.
    this is spot on.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the feedback and warnings, guess I'll hunt around for better ranges near here, definitely don't want a touristy range. I'm moving soon so I don't want to re-up my EFGA membership, but I might just suck it up and do it because overall it might be cheaper than taking her to a normal range.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Eh. The Tobyhanna SGL range is about 10 minutes from Gouldsboro.
    I appreciate the suggestion but I don't have a hunting license and they only allow you to load a few rounds at a time.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast