Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: best scope for LONG range on BA-50 no budget.

Horus Vision H37 reticle
    reticles

Quote Originally Posted by ForwardAssist View Post
    Double the mass = double the energy

Double the velocity = four times the energy

/As a matter of context, it is not an unsafe practice to shoot a .50 bmg at 200 yds IF you have the right backdrop. It is not an unsafe practice to shoot steel plate with a .50 at 200 yds, IF the target is properly designed.

//For an extra measure of safety, a bullet like Hornady's A-Max heavily fragments upon hitting steel.
    Thank you for posting this up. Yes, I'm well aware of the physics and formulas as they pertain/relate to energy relative to mass and velocity. My apologies if I misrepresented it to that doubling the mass of projectiles will double the energy. What I mean is when the weight of these projectiles is over 2 times, and sometimes over 3 times the weight of another projectile, they will be on completely different exponential levels. I mean when fragments of .50 BMG are over twice as heavy as a .223 bullet before it ever fragments, we're talking about exponentially different levels of power.

I honestly was thinking of things in a bit more complex way. As in if you're shooting at a target that's 300 yards away, and bullets fragment. Then let's say those pieces of fragments are flying back towards the shooter. Over that 300 yards, a smaller piece of fragment or something that weighs 11-20 grains will NOT retain kinetic energy the way that a 100 piece fragment of .50 BMG would. So by the time it gets to the shooter that is 300 yards away, there will be significant differences in the velocity that those fragments have. This is based upon their weigh, and their retained velocity. When you take those things into account, particularly the velocity aspect, they are on completely different levels.

I do and I don't agree with you about shooting at targets at 200 and 300 yards. Backstops are important, but if you've ever watched videos of .50 BMG's with tracer rounds, you'll see that they tend to ricochet off the ground or berms. They're such big heavy bullets that hold together, with so much K.E. that they're not nearly as easily stopped as more conventional small arms. The sad part is, most guys that would shoot at .50 BMG at 200 & 300 yards aren't going to bother getting some quality ammunition that would have the Hornady A-max. Lots of them are going to buy the cheapest stuff they can, which is still expensive, so they can shoot it a lot and hammer off some rounds. Most of them figure they don't need anything expensive because they're not shooting at longer ranges, and it doesn't make a difference at the distances they're shooting. Heck, I hear that all the time about cheap conventional ammunition like .308 and .223. So you know it happens when the price difference in .50 BMG may be going from $5 a round, to $3 a round for the cheaper stuff. I'm sorry, but I know the type of guys that buy .50 BMG's to shoot 200-300 yards, and most of them aren't going to go out of their way to buy $5 a round ammunition, or even the means to reload .50 BMG to end up with A-max bullets.

Also, shooting steel that is properly mounted and correct will be ok at shorter distances AT FIRST. I regularly shoot AR500 steel, that's what my steel targets are made out of. They're mounted so they can swing, putting a downward angle on them as they do, and helping save the steel too since it has a longer distance to dissipate energy. The trouble is, the targets still take quite a lot of the energy. Sure the still is VERY hard, and heavy if you've ever held it. It still can only take so much of a beater before it starts to bend and crater. I can tell you that it doesn't take long before a very expensive target, is starting to have concave shape, dimples, etc. when you're shooting it with something like a .50 BMG at 200 and 300 yards. So while it may be safe at first, it won't be long before it's in unsafe conditions, and sending frag back to the shooter. No matter how well the target is designed, it's just not going to hold up for very long. People cringe at buying AR500 steel as it is, but I just don't see them going and buying brand new AR500 steel every 100 rounds, or even less. At that point, with the distances that we're talking about, it's wasted, done, and unsafe. It's just not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    There was an idiot at a local sportsmans club blasting away with his new Barrett.

Dumbass was putting AP rounds down the 300 yd lane and you could plain as day see them bouncing off the ground behind his childish zombie targets into the sky over the hill side.

While there were no houses in the vincinty over the hill, there was a horse farm about a mile away in the valley.
    For all this guy knew he could have been sticking AP rounds into the side of someones Morgan horses or into someone riding one of them.
    Instead, him and his buddies were having a good old time shooting paper zombies.

Sorry, I stand by my opinion that the ranges the OP talked about are dangerous.
    I completely agree with you on this. I've seen lots of videos of .50's even with proper backstops, having tracer and AP rounds ricochet off of them. This happens all the time, and I'll find some videos of it to prove it if people don't believe me.

What's really sad is that you said there's a horse farm about a mile away in the valley. What's interesting is that you probably don't have to worry about the horse farm that's a mile away, you need to worry about the houses that are 4-5 miles away. I'll post up 2 links to the same story, so that people can see this is true. I've heard of other instances of stuff like this happening, but this was the easiest example I could think of right off hand. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,446944,00.html http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar...e=RPMHeadlines . If you took the time to read it, you'll see that the woman was hit 5 miles away from the gentleman that was shooting. In other articles I read that he was not charged because he had a proper backstop and was on private property. There were pictures of the motorhome that it hit, and it completely shredded the roof, and devastated the inside. They ended up saying that she was "hit", but they speculated that she wasn't even hit by the bullet, she was hit by metal and stuff that was hit by the ricochet. Most people agreed that if she would have been hit by the actual bullet, she would have been killed; if the actual bullet would have hit her arm, it wouldn't still be her arm.

Please understand that I'm not saying these things to try to say that we need to ban .50 BMG, or that the general public shouldn't own them. What I am saying is that people need to understand that they're "playing" with a rifle that is on a completely different level than traditional rifles they have thought about. The safety factor and level has to to be carried to to a much higher degree. I mean seriously, we're talking about ricochets that fly 5 miles, and have NO problem killing you at that distance. People have to be aware of what they have, and that they have a much greater level of responsibility with calibers like the .50 BMG (there are lots of others). You can't just jack around, and think it's not a big deal to sling rounds at close ranges (less than 500 yards), and think that it's cool, no big deal, there's a backstop.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post

Please understand that I'm not saying these things to try to say that we need to ban .50 BMG, or that the general public shouldn't own them. What I am saying is that people need to understand that they're "playing" with a rifle that is on a completely different level than traditional rifles they have thought about. The safety factor and level has to to be carried to to a much higher degree. I mean seriously, we're talking about ricochets that fly 5 miles, and have NO problem killing you at that distance. People have to be aware of what they have, and that they have a much greater level of responsibility with calibers like the .50 BMG (there are lots of others). You can't just jack around, and think it's not a big deal to sling rounds at close ranges (less than 500 yards), and think that it's cool, no big deal, there's a backstop.
    And I totally agree with that as well.

It was when the OP posted this:
    i would deff be shooting 100 (ha ha i know), 200, 300 yards regularly normal paper targets, cans, steel plate, maybe some other fun stuff.
    that I realized that there are probably going to be people in harms way.
    Fun stuff? at under 300 yards?
    Like what, standing up a refrigerator and basting away at it so the rounds go flying through it and into the next county?
    Or beer bottles stuck on the end of tree branches?

There is no HA,HA involved when shooting a 50, yet the OP thinks it's a joke.
    I'm so glad this guy does not live in my area.

Instead of giving this guy advice on a scope, he needs advice on what the consequences are of his actions.
    His HA,HA makes me think of some guy that got a tax return and went out and bought a 50 to be cool with no thought as to where he is going to be able to use it.
    Many clubs and ranges have bans on 50's for this very reason, it's not a toy and it's dangerous more so than other guns if not used properly.
    Same goes for .338 Lapua and other such rounds, people buy them for a bragging right, and have no idea as to what they are wielding.

Oh well, my rant is over, the OP will probably not learn until he's on youtube or the news.

Oh,
    and
    HA,HA...
    Last edited by 39flathead; March 21st, 2012 at 04:14 PM.

(Centre County)

I really like my Premier Reticles 3-15x50. They make one in the 5-25X range as well. Runs in the $2800-3100 price range...since budget is no concern.

Should be plenty for blasting stuff at 100 yards with a 50 BMG.

(Lancaster County)

Man, I wish I could buy a scope without budget being a concern...

Now, if budget is REALLY not a concern, there's the US Optics SN-9 10-42x80, although that's the kind of scope that would be best used at a range of over 1.5 miles.

Hi everybody! I think this article will be useful to you!
    https://thetacticalscopes.com/best-ar10-scope/

Quote Originally Posted by James40 View Post
    Scopes for a .308 on a .50? There is an error in judgement.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by James40 View Post
    Ummm, hate to break it to you, but I'm not sure why you made this a zombie thread. This article isn't written well, and there are MUCH better options for even the .308 caliber, much less the .50 BMG that the OP was talking about. Since this thread is so old, there are better options than when we were first discussing this. The author of that article doesn't hardly know their ass from a hole in the ground. They are talking about AR-10's and then talk about a 1-6x Vcog and 1:7 "spin" (not twist) and 55 grain projectiles, which is obviously 5.56/.223. I would stick to what you know, and even the author of the article that you linked doesn't know anything about true long range shooting.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; February 6th, 2018 at 06:11 AM.

Hello! Try atn x-sight II hd 5-20x. I use this scope to shoot long distances. More information about this scope can be found here: https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-weapon-sight

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123