Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default best scope for LONG range on BA-50 no budget.

looking for opinions and why on scopes for a BA-50. i am looking at nightforce currently, willing to try other brands as long as they will hold up.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: best scope for LONG range on BA-50 no budget.

Just hearing you mention a 50 and no budget made my wallet jump out of my pocket and run screaming under the bed.

nightforce
    Schmidt and bender
    us optics
    vortex hd
    are all very nice. Id look into the us optics or nightforce if it was for me and someone else was paying.

First off, you need to put this in the right section. There is an optics section for a reason, and when you're asking questions about scopes or optics, then you need to put it there. It just helps everybody who could offer you help with optics, to find it there. More importantly, it also helps others when looking for the same or similar advice, find it in the section.

If we're going to recommend optics to you, we need more information. Do you have a preference in the type of reticle? Do you have a preference in turrets? What distances will you ACTUALLY intend on shooting? What size of targets will you be shooting at? All of these things play a big part in recommendations.

(Northampton County)

yeah it was a toss up if it should be in rifles since it was gun specific or optics but your right it does sound better in optics.

no preff. i have an ACOG on an M4 and love it! could be illuminated or not, prefer not as i hate all the batterys and one more thing to go wrong and die. i would deff be shooting 100 (ha ha i know), 200, 300 yards regularly normal paper targets, cans, steel plate, maybe some other fun stuff. and if i can find the spot further. just thinking if i shell out the cash, do it right for if SHTF. want something CLEAR, always holds zero, can take the abuse of the recoil and shock wave, and keep hitting bullseyes when needed. pretty much something similar to whats being used in military zones. gun has 30'' barrel, and is the match grade L/W barrel. shooting the Barret black 10 packs of ammo, also LC mil sur, multi color tips.
    Last edited by bmwaudio; March 12th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.

Leupold Mk IV - Cheapest solid surefire option

NF - Cheapest "built like a tank" option

US Optics - As good as NF, more expensive, myriad options, you can have it built like you want it

Ior Valdada - Imported, high quality, reasonably priced

Places to buy,

Midway USA

SWFA http://swfa.com/default.aspx
    SWFA's Sample list http://www.samplelist.com/

In PA,
    http://www.eurooptic.com/

USED,
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...oard=21&page=1

RESEARCH
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...oard=19&page=1

GOOD LUCK

p.s.,

I own NF and they are incredibly well made. Solid, heavy. SHTF reliability.

Leupy and Ior will give you 90% of that at a better price. You won't feel like you left anything on the table.

USO, I LOVE the EREK turret. Eventually one will be in my safe. The internal anti-cant device looks cool too, but I'd like to see one first.

The USO fixed 10x might be an option if you prefer a fixed scope.

"X is what percentage of Y?" Divide the first number by the second, multiply the answer by 100. Add a percent sign. Think.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwaudio View Post
    yeah it was a toss up if it should be in rifles since it was gun specific or optics but your right it does sound better in optics.

no preff. i have an ACOG on an M4 and love it! could be illuminated or not, prefer not as i hate all the batterys and one more thing to go wrong and die. i would deff be shooting 100 (ha ha i know), 200, 300 yards regularly normal paper targets, cans, steel plate, maybe some other fun stuff. and if i can find the spot further. just thinking if i shell out the cash, do it right for if SHTF. want something CLEAR, always holds zero, can take the abuse of the recoil and shock wave, and keep hitting bullseyes when needed. pretty much something similar to whats being used in military zones. gun has 30'' barrel, and is the match grade L/W barrel. shooting the Barret black 10 packs of ammo, also LC mil sur, multi color tips.
    That's alright, lots of guys run through the same predicament. It still works better in optics because it's a question about optics.

If you don't have a preference in reticle, etc. that leaves quite a bit of options open for you. Honestly, I don't much see the point of having a .50 BMG to shoot at anything under 800-1,000 yards, but to each their own. The reason I asked is because the distance that you're shooting, and the size of the targets that you're shooting at, will help dictate what magnification, etc, that you'll be using. It's hard to say exactly what you're looking for. Some units are using the Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 scope. If you look at photos of other military units, you'll still also see Schmidt & Bender scopes on others, and some in MUCH higher magnifications. As a matter of fact, it's not uncommon for some of these rifles to have scopes that are 40x or more. It really all just depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If you're shooting ELR an out to a mile or more, then 14-25X (or something close) just isn't going to cut it.

Honestly, you could probably get away with a "decent" scope. I know lots of Barrett .50's come with Bushnell Elite 3200's mounted on them. For a "cheaper scope" they have good glass, track correctly, and are able to withstand the recoil. If we're being honest, there's no telling how much they can handle, and it's probably the "cheapest solution". You could probably get a way with some SS scopes from SWFA. You've been given good advice that the Leupold Mark 4 is a good starting point. Nightforce is definitely an option if you have a budget that can fit it in. They're rock solid, and can DEFINITELY hold up to the recoil, or any other punishment you would dish its way. I would say you get the best glass, durability, and reliability for the money. You could always go up from there to optics like Vortex Razor, USO, Premier, Hensoldt, and Schmidt & Bender.

Honestly, for your needs, I don't think you need to move up past Nightforce. Honestly, 300 yards isn't a big deal at all, and going to a more expensive scope is just way overkill. For the type of shooting you're talking about, I also don't see why you'd have the need to move up to a ton of features like First Focal Plane, etc. I don't mean this to be disrespectful, but it sounds like the shooting will be pretty casual, and besides being able to take the abuse, you probably don't even need a Nightforce. It's your money, and you are more than welcome to spend it how you want, but I think a Leupold Mark 4 or Nightforce would probably work just fine for any need you might have (including the possibility of SHTF).

The average sniper scope is 10x, fixed. 10x is plenty for center of mass to 1000+ yds.

I prefer slightly more magnification, but going higher starts to drastically reduce your field of view. It also makes for a less forgiving eye box.

"X is what percentage of Y?" Divide the first number by the second, multiply the answer by 100. Add a percent sign. Think.

If price doesn't scare you...I would avoid IOR. I've owned a few of them...while the glass is very nice...the optics itself is questionable.

I wouldn't even put Leupold in the same sentence as the other optics...Leupold is crap and isn't even in the top tier.

If you want something right away...you will be looking at

They screwed an awesome vendor on the Hide, but they make some fine optics.
    Permier Heritage.
    http://www.premierreticles.com/

S&B Look at the PMII series
    http://www.schmidtbender.com/scopes_...marksman.shtml

US Optics if you are not in a hurry for it because build time takes forever.
    http://www.usoptics.com/optics.html

Hensoldt Optics aka Zeiss
    http://www.zeiss.com/C1256BCF0020BE5...25787700444B8A

Vortex Razor HD
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/category...hd_riflescopes

I have an SS 5-20 Illuminated and it works very well and won't break the bank.
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tact...pe-P51642.aspx

I also have the Bushnell HDMR 3-21 with Horus reticle.
    http://www.horusvision.com/hdmr.php

To be honest...50BMG recoil is mild because nearly every BMG is going to have one some huge brake and most of those brakes work very well. Recoil isn't going to be your issue with optics.

My 50BMG felt like my 243 with the brake that was on the rifle. Weight of the rifle and feeding that monster is going to be your two biggest concerns.

(Northampton County)

Tom, no disrespect at all, i will be casually shooting it. if i could find the spot i would LOVE to use it 500+ yards, but unless a fellow member has the land, and would like to shoot some .50 BMGS with me all day, then i doubt ill get that far. (let me know if your near NE / SE PA and have this type of land, i will be glad to let you shoot).

i really want to thank everyone for the input, this site is top notch and its members prove that.

i was deff thinking about something around 14X magnification, i almost would rather get another gun or ammo, and save the money with a cheaper scope if they will be ok. I think im going to look at the Leupold Mark 4, and the Bushnell's that the Barrett's come with. i have an older Mark 3-9 scope on my .22 mag i use for ground hogs, and have been very happy with the glass, and build quality.

ill be at the split rock fun show if anyone else will be there i would love to meet and chat.

thank you everyone again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    That's alright, lots of guys run through the same predicament. It still works better in optics because it's a question about optics.

If you don't have a preference in reticle, etc. that leaves quite a bit of options open for you. Honestly, I don't much see the point of having a .50 BMG to shoot at anything under 800-1,000 yards, but to each their own. The reason I asked is because the distance that you're shooting, and the size of the targets that you're shooting at, will help dictate what magnification, etc, that you'll be using. It's hard to say exactly what you're looking for. Some units are using the Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 scope. If you look at photos of other military units, you'll still also see Schmidt & Bender scopes on others, and some in MUCH higher magnifications. As a matter of fact, it's not uncommon for some of these rifles to have scopes that are 40x or more. It really all just depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If you're shooting ELR an out to a mile or more, then 14-25X (or something close) just isn't going to cut it.

Honestly, you could probably get away with a "decent" scope. I know lots of Barrett .50's come with Bushnell Elite 3200's mounted on them. For a "cheaper scope" they have good glass, track correctly, and are able to withstand the recoil. If we're being honest, there's no telling how much they can handle, and it's probably the "cheapest solution". You could probably get a way with some SS scopes from SWFA. You've been given good advice that the Leupold Mark 4 is a good starting point. Nightforce is definitely an option if you have a budget that can fit it in. They're rock solid, and can DEFINITELY hold up to the recoil, or any other punishment you would dish its way. I would say you get the best glass, durability, and reliability for the money. You could always go up from there to optics like Vortex Razor, USO, Premier, Hensoldt, and Schmidt & Bender.

Honestly, for your needs, I don't think you need to move up past Nightforce. Honestly, 300 yards isn't a big deal at all, and going to a more expensive scope is just way overkill. For the type of shooting you're talking about, I also don't see why you'd have the need to move up to a ton of features like First Focal Plane, etc. I don't mean this to be disrespectful, but it sounds like the shooting will be pretty casual, and besides being able to take the abuse, you probably don't even need a Nightforce. It's your money, and you are more than welcome to spend it how you want, but I think a Leupold Mark 4 or Nightforce would probably work just fine for any need you might have (including the possibility of SHTF).
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

I read a lot of "it is good enough" maybe because it is what a lot of guys are trained on, and there is nothing wrong with that. I am not military trained, but I shoot quite a bit at long distances. I get great groups that have been arbitrary when talked about (I no longer even say what groups I shoot) because I have a lot of scope. When you have a target 300 yds out, it is easier to see the center of the X when you have more power. I put a Countersniper 10-40X56mm on a 5.56/.223 varmint rig and what a difference. This scope is worth a look and the price is quite low for what the scope does. It is an amazing optic. JMHO

There is nothing wrong with having too much scope, unless you are just too close.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast