Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: best scope for LONG range on BA-50 no budget.

I wouldn't even put Leupold in the same sentence as the other optics...Leupold is crap and isn't even in the top tier.
    Agreed. Leupold has really dropped the ball over the past few years. However, they are coming out with some new stuff that is pretty serious.

I have an SS 5-20 Illuminated and it works very well and won't break the bank.
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tact...pe-P51642.aspx
    I have one too. It replaced a Nightforce. It's just a better scope, especially for the price than the SFP NXS series. I still have the Nightforce, which in turn replaced a Leupold Mk4.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Northampton County)

yeah see you are not the first person to say the quality has been lacking as of late. i have not personally seen anything semi recent to make a judgement, but i don't want to get burnt on a cheap scope that will break after a mag of .50 BMG.

[QUOTE=animalmother85;1933451]Agreed. Leupold has really dropped the ball over the past few years. However, they are coming out with some new stuff that is pretty serious.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwaudio View Post
    yeah see you are not the first person to say the quality has been lacking as of late. i have not personally seen anything semi recent to make a judgement, but i don't want to get burnt on a cheap scope that will break after a mag of .50 BMG.
    I agree with the others that Leupold aren't what they used to be. There are definitely some SWFA, and Bushnell scopes I'd look at before a Mark 4. Now that you've talked a little bit more about preference, and uses, it does help recommend scopes your direction. Magnification is about preference. I personally prefer a bit over 14x for some applications, but I typically shoot past 300 and 500 yards. 14x is enough magnification at those ranges, but depending on your preferences you may or may not want more. If you're used to shooting a fixed 4x out at further ranges, 14x would probably be enough to keep you happy.

I'm with Aubie on that I would be cautious of IOR. Yes, they do have good glass for the money, but they haven't had the best track record for taking any kind of abuse, or longevity. People are saying that their newer scopes are more durable than the older ones, but I'd also be pretty cautious when considering them.

I don't mean any offense to 300WM, but we (and some others) will have very different opinions on Counter Sniper scopes. If I was you, I'd stay the HELL AWAY FROM Counter Sniper scopes. You'll have much better luck with an SS from SWFA or a Bushnell. Opinions do vary, and that's just mine.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; March 13th, 2012 at 07:21 PM.

I decided to post this up just for grins since we started talking about high end scopes. This is an old ad that they were doing for USO. I've heard of people doing the same with Nightforce scopes, and I'm sure lots of the "big boys" can take the punishment. For guys that think you don't get what you pay for, this is to help you understand what kind of punishments these scopes can take, and still function. You'll notice even with the cracked objective lense, the view it still great and is usable. Hard to imagine a scope can stand up to this. Oh, and I have to give Bushnell credit, it took a hell of a beating.

(Berks County)

since your in allentown make a run up to cabelas they have a couple of nightforce scopes in there for you to look at, I really like my nightforce and unless you want to spend more money on a USO, S&B or other high end scopes I really think there probably the best in that price range. for a little less money you can go with the vortex razor Ive heard those are good but never had the chance to look at one myself yet. I really think the leupolds are over rated, Ive been looking at them and I just dont see them being as clear as they use to be.
    Last edited by lethal93ta; March 15th, 2012 at 04:05 PM.

(Indiana County)

I'd buy a Leupold and use the rest of the money for a vest and kevlar helmet and then hope for the best.

Shooting a .50 at the distances you listed is outright foolish and a good way to get someone hurt or killed.

In case you never seen this:

Glad you don't live around me.

(Allegheny County)

^ Correct me if I'm wrong but that seemed to have very little to do with the fact that it was a .50, couldn't that theoretically happen with any caliber if using the wrong target at the wrong range.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessZ View Post
    ^ Correct me if I'm wrong but that seemed to have very little to do with the fact that it was a .50, couldn't that theoretically happen with any caliber if using the wrong target at the wrong range.
    To an extent, yes, this is true. With most calibers this wouldn't be an issue though. Shooting a bullet with that much velocity, and particularly that much mass, makes it a "horse of a difference color". A .50 BMG bullet that has 750 grains or more, is not as easily fragmented into little "harmless" pieces of copper and lead, as say a 180 grain bullet. You have to remember that the larger a fragment of a bullet is, the longer distance it carries kinetic energy; and the heavier the fragment is, the more kinetic energy it carries. If a 180 grain bullet breaks up into 6 or 7 major pieces, the fragments are roughly 26-30 grains per piece. This could be seen as "fairly harmless and not going to kill you. When a 700+ grain bullet breaks up into roughly 7 major pieces, each one is 100 grains or more. You may not realize it, but this is sometimes over twice the amount of a .223 round, and carry a significant portion of the kinetic energy.

So sure, yes you can talk about this happening with any caliber and any particular range. When you're talking about a .50 BMG, and if you're looking at things even proportionally, which they're not, they change SIGNIFICANTLY. Let's say you think you can shoot a 62 grain bullet at 100 yards safely on steel, which might be indicative of a .223/5.56. Now let's say that you talk about a 700 grain bullet from a .50 BMG; and just for the record there are heavier projectiles for the caliber and weight. We're talking about a projectile that weighs over 11x as much as the .223/556. Do you really think it's the same kind of deal to shoot it at 300 or even 500 yards? I mean even if you think it's ok to shoot a .223 round on steel at 50 yards, when you compare it to the .50 BMG, it means it should be shot at over 500 yards away. There's lots of guys that don't like to shoot jacketed pistol rounds at 25-30 yards. You're talking about shooting a jacketed round moving MUCH faster at 50 yards; then you apply that to a .50 BMG and it's over 500 yards. So the answer is YES, the claim about shooting the right caliber against the right target, at the right range DOES apply to an extent. Most people have no idea how much mass and kinetic energy the .50 BMG is carrying. It really wasn't designed for 500 yards or less; and to be honest, it wasn't designed for 800 yards or less.

So you can take this however you want, but you're wrong, and you've been corrected. The .50 BMG is a significant difference, and even if you compared some of the differences linearly, they don't add up to the distances that the OP is talking about. When you start talking about the .50 BMG, and the masses associated with it, some of the numbers changed exponentially (as in squared), and not linearly. It's not even in the same class.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; March 17th, 2012 at 03:20 PM.

Double the mass = double the energy

Double the velocity = four times the energy

/As a matter of context, it is not an unsafe practice to shoot a .50 bmg at 200 yds IF you have the right backdrop. It is not an unsafe practice to shoot steel plate with a .50 at 200 yds, IF the target is properly designed.

//For an extra measure of safety, a bullet like Hornady's A-Max heavily fragments upon hitting steel.

"X is what percentage of Y?" Divide the first number by the second, multiply the answer by 100. Add a percent sign. Think.

(Indiana County)

There was an idiot at a local sportsmans club blasting away with his new Barrett.

Dumbass was putting AP rounds down the 300 yd lane and you could plain as day see them bouncing off the ground behind his childish zombie targets into the sky over the hill side.

While there were no houses in the vincinty over the hill, there was a horse farm about a mile away in the valley.
    For all this guy knew he could have been sticking AP rounds into the side of someones Morgan horses or into someone riding one of them.
    Instead, him and his buddies were having a good old time shooting paper zombies.

Sorry, I stand by my opinion that the ranges the OP talked about are dangerous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast