Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Bucks Cty LTCF: length of residency requirement?

Has anyone moved to Bucks County and gotten a LTCF right way?

Rephrased: is there some sort of minimum duration of in-county residency you have to have before applying? Would a lease be proof of residency?

I ask because, after 13.5 years living in downtown Philadelphia, I've reached a tipping point, and am ready to relocate to Bucks. A variety of reasons, but they all point in the same direction. I'd be looking to sell my city townhouse and rent a house, maybe in Langhorne or Newtown or nearby.

The catch: my Philly LTCF is set to expire in July 2012. I'd REALLY like to not go through the nightmare of renewing in the city, and would prefer to renew in Bucks....but best case scenario I'd be a Bucks Cty resident only a few months before the Philly LTCF expires, so if I bet the ranch on renewing after the move, I don't want some SNAFU happening.

Yes, I know about carrying on FLA permit or whatever, but I don't want to go that route....

Thanks in advance for any insights....

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Bucks Cty LTCF: length of residency requirement?

No minimum time limit in Bucks....in fact I don't think there is one in the UFA at all.

As long as you have the "change of address" card from DMV that goes with your Drivers license you'll be good.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    No minimum time limit in Bucks....in fact I don't think there is one in the UFA at all.
    I know there isn't one in the UFA -- but some jurisdictions add their own obstacles to LTCF application, whether it's some min residency time, or whether your references have to be in-county or whatever.

It's that sort of gotcha I'm curious about for Bucks. Any shenanigans with time, with references, with anything else?

Short answer - there is no minimum time limit in Bucks.

I moved from Virginia to Bucks County a few months ago. I went directly from the DMV to the Doylestown courthouse and was the proud owner of a LTCF 20 minutes later.

(Bucks County)

Just a fyi... When I was there renewing my carrying permit 3 weeks ago, a gent came in and asked the same question you did. I heard the woman say,
    "you just need to have your change of address card from DMV and a valid DL."

I went 5 yrs ago to the office to get some Form 4s signed and they asked me for my permit. I said I didn't have one and was told if I wanted one, just turn around, grab a form and fill it out. It took 45 mins since we had to wait for the some bad boys to be processed before we get photos taken. Good luck.... usually the office is very easy to deal with....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercat97 View Post
    Good luck.... usually the office is very easy to deal with....
    Oh, I know -- I have a friend from NH and he gets his non-res PA LTCF from Doylestown every 5 years. Even though he's visiting me in Philly, it was less hassle to drive up to Doylestown and back, and get his non-res LTCF on the spot, than it would be for him to try for that here in Philly, even though the permit office is only maybe 20 blocks from my place.

(Bucks County)

It's now demonstrated that there's no length-of-residency reqt. My legal address has been in Bucks for just over 2 weeks. Since I have a DL with my old address, plus the paper change-of-address addendum from PennDot, I needed to wait until my first utility bill arrived, which happened this weekend.

Armed with that, plus the filled-out form and $20, I went to Doylestown -- in and out in 30 minutes with a new LTCF. An order of magnitude less hassle than Philly, or Delco before that.

So score one for Bucks Cty.

Now I get to luxuriate in the fact that both LRGC and Wicen's are just 5 miles away.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    It's now demonstrated that there's no length-of-residency reqt. My legal address has been in Bucks for just over 2 weeks. Since I have a DL with my old address, plus the paper change-of-address addendum from PennDot, I needed to wait until my first utility bill arrived, which happened this weekend.

Armed with that, plus the filled-out form and $20, I went to Doylestown -- in and out in 30 minutes with a new LTCF. An order of magnitude less hassle than Philly, or Delco before that.

Now I get to luxuriate in the fact that both LRGC and Wicen's are just 5 miles away.
    Change of address form? I moved to Bucks county 2 weeks ago and just got my REAL PA driver's license in the mail. Is that good enough? Also, it asks if I have another CCW/LTCF from another state. I have a Non-Resident CCW from FL with my old address, do I simply copy that? Anything else I need to bring?
    -Paperwork
    -$20 cash
    -PA Driver's license
    -Florida CCW.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    Change of address form? I moved to Bucks county 2 weeks ago and just got my REAL PA driver's license in the mail. Is that good enough? Also, it asks if I have another CCW/LTCF from another state. I have a Non-Resident CCW from FL with my old address, do I simply copy that? Anything else I need to bring?
    -Paperwork
    -$20 cash
    -PA Driver's license
    -Florida CCW.
    That's good timing, to get a real DL with your new legal address, in Bucks. Your PA DL is good for (I think) 5 years, and if you move residences within that time, they don't redo your photo ID; you carry the paper addendum until your existing DL expires.

Make sure your references' name/address/phone is legible, but odds are they won't call them.

I xeroxed my out of state CCWs, but the sheriff barely looked at them. I also brought my expiring PA LTCF from Philly, which they shredded for me -- I'm not sure if me having a PA LTCF made it quicker or not.

Basically it's: completed paperwork, photo ID, cash. Since they hand them out in minutes, I assume all they do in Bucks is call the same PICS line that FFLs would call; there doesn't seem time for anything more elaborate. At that point there either will or won't be a problem. If no problem, LTCF is handed out then and there.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post

I think we ought to buy Sheriff "Duke" one of those "That Was Easy" buttons as a sort of thank-you gift for making our lives that much simpler.

Depending upon where you are, don't forget Bucks County Fish and Game Association in Doylestown. Cheaper annual dues than LRGC and no annual work requirement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast