Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Check out my reloading room/bench

I am finally moving into my new reloading room as the basement finishing process nears the end. I still have some additional touches to add such as shelves, some of my military momentos, etc...

I have posted several threads and comments to threads by others and thought I would start this one to close the loop on a few topics.

The cabinets are the prebuilt, unfinished ones from Lowes. They went on sale back in Jan for 20% off and the store still applied the 10% military discount. The countertop is 3/4" cabinet grade plywood.

For lighting I installed two of the 2x2 florescent ceiling lights with a drop ceiling. Wall outlets every two feet allow for plenty of power for all the case prep components.

The Hornady LNL AP is sitting on a mount from www.inlineprecision.com. This allowed me to raise the mount approx 9.75" above the counter. It places the plate at eye level and ensures the press does not interfere with the drawers under the cabinet. I also purchased the ergonomic press handle that you see installed from the same site. Total of both items was $135 and it was well worth the cost.

The cover on the Hornady LNL AP is compliments of my 13 yr old daughter who asked for a sewing machine for Christmas. It took us about 30 minutes to make (she could have done it in less time by herself). We used a ripstop nylon material from JoAnn Fabrics. It took about a yard of material and only cost $5 as opposed to the $30+ versions offered online.

In addition to what you see in the photos I have a freestanding gun rack that will line the left side of the room. The safe is on the opposite side out of view. I have about 2 dozen WWI and WWII bayonets that will hang on one of the walls. In addition I have a shelf that will go above the reloading bench. The shelf will have most of bullets and military stuff (collectibles such as military cleaning kits, canteens, a Nazi gas mask carrier, helmets, etc...).

More information and photos to follow. Now it's your turn... tell me what yuou think and let's see what you have. Comments/recommendations on improvements are welcome.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Check out my reloading room/bench

I think the room looks great, clean, good lighting and well planned out...I am looking forward to the finished project with all the military mementos on the wall.

(Montgomery County)

Nice clean setup. Looks like you have plenty of room to work and lots of storage.

(Somerset County)

Nice looking room and set up. Did you add anything under the cabinet top to reinforce where the press is mounted? I'd be leery of just 3/4 inch ply.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    Nice looking room and set up. Did you add anything under the cabinet top to reinforce where the press is mounted? I'd be leery of just 3/4 inch ply.

Dale
    Good Observation and question.

(Chester County)

You sir, are a craftsman! And those who have already remarked about your builder's acumen, two thumbs up.

And way to go on the cover for your reloading press (next time, for you have sufficient space for several more, just suggest king-sized pillow cases in your favorite color, for there are more important things for you to teach).

The first screw-up I had with a reloading press (Dillon 1050) occurred because the manual didn't tell me to use lube for the particular rifle case I was reloading. Yeah, I know, "NOOB!". The 2nd through roughly 20th occurred because the press wasn't on a rock-solid base - the kind that wouldn't even burp if someone pitched a grenade in the room.

As Ben Franklin once said, "Experience is a dear teacher, but some will learn by no other."

So as others have suggested here, if you haven't already, consider reinforcing the entire surface where the press is currently situated. I know it takes some time (but nothing like the time it takes to pull 1,000 or so reloads that you won at a bargain price at a local auction that weren't sized right, seated right, etc. because the dufus who reloaded these not only didn't anchor the press but also forgot to drop them into a case gauge).

Hey, your work looks masterful, so don't stop now and just finish it up so nothing moves when you're working the press. You have all the right equipment (including a balance beam scale in case the grid goes down) so I know you've already got it figured out.

But maybe your daughter already does too? Kudos to you for being a great dad.

In the way back machine, my wife was never allowed to touch ANYTHING on the bench and was only permitted to stand a few feet away and watch her dad reload. Which she did for hours at a time. She now reloads everything we shoot at quality/speeds that amaze me. And, oh yeah, she can hit the plate at 500 yds with her reloads.

Keep your daughter involved and let her be the boss of it, for one day, she'll be changing your nappies...

We're really proud of you. Way to go DAD!
    - bamboomaster

Good question regarding the 3/4 plywood. My previous bench (currently posted for sale in another thread) was also topped with 3/4 plywood. I used it for almost 20 yrs and it's still solid. I considered doubling the top but with my past success thought I'd stick to what has worked so well.

Great suggestion on the pillow cases. Thanks.

My daughter likes working the press. I let her work the handle while I seat the bullets and keep an eye on the powder levels. She's still hesitant to shoot anything above the .22s but I look forward to the day she loads a box from beginning to end complete with a trip to the range. No hurry... She'll decide when she's ready.

I thought I had lots of storage also until I started unpacking and relocating everything. I have been stocking up on components during the past year and bought more than I remembered. Once the shelves are up a lot of that will be resolved. It's amazing how much stuff one can accumulate over the years... Slings, holsters, pistol rugs, cleaning supplies, etc....

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Keep the comments and recommendations coming. Most of the ideas for my room came from this site.

On the topic of military momentos.... I have approx 2 dozen bayonets that I would like to display. Anyone have any suggestions on a wall display?

Dude thats really nice you really set that room up well for reloading. I hope your bullets are as nice as your setup. That really is a nice setup. You need to get a shotgun press going and you could load anything under the sun.

Really Nice!!

(Indiana County)

For mounting bayonets, I used to use peg board with sections of thin elastic rope woven in between the holes.
    You don't have to tie off a tiny section in every couple holes, just lace it in and out and tie off the ends.
    If you are doing blades out instead of in sheaths, you can still use pegboard but find the hoops that are used for screwdrivers and turn them sideways, then use the plastic "locks" for holding peg hook in place.

Piant the pegboard or you can buy board already done up looking like stainless, wood, diamond plate ect...

Sorry, it's hard to describe and I had to sell my bayonet collection a couple years back and I gave the guy the displays.

Overall nice setup, the only thing is, have you used the press yet for an extended time period?

I'm just asking because I like to mount mine over a kneehole so I can sit.
    I guess you could use a barstool but then leverage might get to be a pain.

I do foresee you ending up moving the dies off the counter to a shelf, that's quite a bit of real estate they are taking up.

Nice job, way better than my closet space setup.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast