Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Why do people stock pile ammunition? How much is too much in terms of ammunition?

I just bought 400 rounds of .233 at Walmart (American Eagle @ 5.59). This brings my levels to about 750 rounds. I only bought it because I can never find it.

Have about 700 rounds of .22, 300 rounds of 9mm, and 100 of .380.

Serious Question....why do people stock pile ammo?

Is it to be prepared for the End of the World?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Why do people stock pile ammunition? How much is too much in terms of ammunition?

It'll never be cheaper tomorrow than it is today.

As for how much is too much?

There's only two times you have too much ammo, when you're on fire or when you're swimming.

Ammo should be stored with maximum floor loading in mind.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Pike County)

Default Re: Why do people stock pile ammunition? How much is too much in terms of ammunition?

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    It'll never be cheaper tomorrow than it is today.
    ^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Walmart just raised their prices again. A brick of .22LR cost 19.97 now. I have at least 10000 rnds I purchased for $16 + change couple of years ago. About 20% appreciacion in the course of 2-3 years. I wish my other investments were that good.
    Je suis déplorable

(Chester County)

Yes, many people are preparing for a time where they will need all the ammunition they can get. Other people are stockpiling because they feel politicians are going to jack the price up as high as they can. Others stockpile because they fear a spike in prices in the near future.

Honestly I don't see the end of the world coming on December 21st 2012. I don't see Obama somehow jacking up ammo prices. IM NOT SAYING STOCKPILING IS BAD, I DO IT AS WELL. But stockpiling does create a huge demand on producers and allows them to gouge the public financially. This is what happened during the last election scare when ammo got super expensive (more than it is now). It is good to be prepared, but having 8k rounds of 5.56 (IMHO) seems a little over kill. I like to shoot more rather than have a stockpile.
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

(Washington County)

Shortages and price hikes happen and you dont want to get caught with your pants down.

Buy what you can when the prices are good.

It can get a little addicting for sure.

I can already tell .223 and 5.56 are getting scarce and the prices have gone up a bit. maybe just tax return season, but with the election and stuff its not gonna get much better.

I only shoot 9mm and 223/5.56 so I dont know how it affects other calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    I just bought 400 rounds of .233 at Walmart (American Eagle @ 5.59). This brings my levels to about 750 rounds. I only bought it because I can never find it.

Have about 700 rounds of .22, 300 rounds of 9mm, and 100 of .380.

Is it to be prepared for the End of the World?
    i don't stock pile but i do buy enough for the car some .40 and some 9s a box at my shop a box in the basement a box in the bedroom some in the kitchen, some in the bathroom.. i guess i just wanna make sure that where ever i am at the time that i need extra rounds i have some

(Northampton County)

Ammo is incredibly expensive nowadays, and prices and availability vary from year to year. Buy it when it's cheap and available. Right now it is cheap and available, relatively speaking. Three years ago people couldn't find ammo for service calibers so they couldn't go shooting.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    because you never know what tomorrow might bring.
    ammo can get you anything you might need....by barter or by force.
    and like has already been mentioned, ammo will very rarely be cheaper tomorrow then it it today.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Butler County)

I now stock pile because there's nothing worse than wanting to go shooting and need ammo. Found this out several times a few years ago with the 9mm and 380 shortage.

(York County)

"Why do people stock pile ammunition? How much is too much in terms of ammunition?"

There is no such thing as too much. I can give you one persons perspective. I have been adding here and there for years. I plan to retire in a few years. I will have enough to enjoy shooting with the time that will come my way. As some have mentioned, the cost only goes up. If need be, and I need a few extra bucks, I will sell some. I consider the ammo as an investment in lead. And if the whole Country goes Ferrel, I'll be trading a box of 22 rimfire for a one oz. gold coin. TT
    Ghostery

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast