Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Adding Checkering to Front of 1911

I have a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec that I want to add checking to the front of the grip. I think for appearances and quality, actually doing it to the grip itself is preferable to adding skateboard or stair tread grip tape.

Is there anyone in Northeast PA that does this kind of work (quality is more important than finding the cheapest gunsmith)? Or will the gun have to be sent out of state?

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Adding Checkering to Front of 1911

Most gunsmiths can do checkering. Just check around.

But, there is nothing wrong with using a tape type of product. I once used silicone glue to stick strips of crocus cloth to the slick front and back straps of my High Standard M107. The advantage was when I pulled it off and cleaned it up with solvent there was no permanent change to the frame. Just be neat about the application and run the tape under the grips so it looks seamless.

Or if you're the adventurous type use a centerpunch to stipple the front strap. Take a couple practice whacks under the grips where it won't be visible to get an idea of how much metal you want to raise with each tap of the hammer. Then secure the gun in a nice tight non-marring vise and have at it!

My favorinte .45 was a Series 70 Colt that had been built up by Jim Clark Sr. in his "Heavyslide" configuration for Bullseye competition. It had Clark's "Tiger Claw" stippling which was done with a very sharp scratch awl type implement and formed really sharp hooks like a cats claw. They were so sharp they ripped through the callouses on my fingers and by the time I got to the Rapid fire stage of the Centerfire match I was bleeding. I ended up hammering them almost flat during the lunch break.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".