Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default A couple of questions on some pistols I inherited

Anybody got suggestions on the following:

I inherited some guns. Normally this would be pretty cool. In this case, it's not so cool.

First: there are several pistols from makers I never heard of that are in pretty bad repair, and look like they're about 50 years old. I want to get rid of them, but I don't want someone trying to shoot them (they'd probably blow up), nor do I want them getting into the hands of someone who'd do lord knows what with them. Does anyone know of a turn-in program so I can get rid of these?

Second: There's also a shotgun, just looking at it makes me think this this thing in probably illegal: If I tried to turn this thing in, am I going to jail?

Third: There's a couple of pistols in good shape. How do I get these registered to me for transfer purposes? I don't want to keep them.

Any input would be appreciated.

T/C

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: A couple of questions on some pistols I inherited

Sell off what good parts there may be. There is a market for such things... Even the smallest screw can be a gold mine or highly sought over. There might be some of us that would be interested in the parts or the whole thing(waiver signed).

As for the shotgun, so long as its not stolen, the barrel(s) are 18", it has an overall length over 26", and the serial numbers are not altered or removed - its legal. If it meet all those criteria - sell it.

As for how to unload the pieces.. Longarms you can just sell outright. handgun - I know you inherited them - but did you inherit them by will from a parent, grandparent, spouse, child or grandchild? If they were from anyone else - they should have been transfered at a Sheriff's office, the Sheriff should have acted as seller for the PA St. paperwork.

If you aren't willing to sell all or part of, and you cant find a gungrabber thing - you can take a torch to them and turn them into scrap metal. But please offer up things first. ...there are plenty of us that are restoring old guns, also plenty of us that are competent gunsmiths.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 10th, 2008 at 01:44 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

whatever you do DON'T turn them in to some kind of buy-back program. You'll get squat for them and will only give "the man" more guns they say they "took off the street" If you want to sell them there are people on here that know guns, can research them and give you a fair price. Also if there is a question of safety have a gunsmith look over them and tell you if they are safe to fire. I agree with the idea of parting them out if they aren't safe, but if they function I would keep them as-is. You can probably get alot for some parts. I have an old pistol with a broken firing pin that I can't find anywhere. If you need help identying them you can post pictures in the gunsmithing section and someone here probably knows what you're dealing with. Please DON'T turn them in, get them identified, checked out, and sell them if you don't want them. You may be sitting on a gold mine.

(Philadelphia County)

Can you post some photos or at least the makes/models that you're not familiar with?

(Adams County)

Some of us are old salts........give us some manufacturers names, calibers, etc......
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

I am interested in hearing what you have. You may be sitting on some valuable things.
    Jules

(Delaware County)

Sorry for the delay...

Thanks for the input, I appreciate the guidance.

I inherited the guns from my stepdad.

The ones I want to get rid of are American Bulldog. One looks like it's a 38, the other, maybe a 32. (they don't say).

Apparently there were two companies that used this name, one made firearms in the early 20th and late 19th century, and the other in the 1970's.

I think these are from the earlier manufacturer.

Anyway, they are in pretty bad shape. I did some googling and ones that are available go for like $130. There were some pics, and those were in way worse shape then the ones I have.

There's a Ruger .357 Security six with Pachmar (sp?) grips that I'm going to keep, and a Jenkins J22 that I'm trading for another gun.

T/C

T/C

(Delaware County)

I meant mine are in way worse shape than the ones I saw for sale....

T/C

(Berks County)

T/C

The American Bulldog revolvers are probably H&R (Harington & Richardson) model 1904. (See addition)
    These would be a solid frame revolver with a removable cylinder pin-pull the pin out, and remove the cylinder to load and unload or clean. They were made in .32 and .38 S&W and possibly rimfire. They were very popular revolvers in their day, and were common defensive carry weapons in the early 20th century. Many of them show a lot of wear and use, but many are still in working condition. Most would benefit from a good cleaning to remove dried lubricants, grease, pocket dirt, etc.
    They would sell for $75-$125 retail each depending on condition and the area where you are selling them. They are probably over 100 years old rather than 50.

mark
    ADDED: H&R and many other companies made many thousands of small revolvers with different names, including "American Bulldog". They could be made by Forehand and Wadsworth, Hopkins and Allen, even Belgian imports. These guns are beginning to find collectors, but the prices I stated above would be a ballpark for most of them. They were widely used and carried, and even worn-looking specimens are
    worth something to someone.
    Last edited by dogngun; February 11th, 2008 at 03:25 PM.
    Another armed Liberal veteran.

(Montgomery County)

swing by target world or even better if you roadtrip down to philly go to locks gunshop in the mayfair section....ive been there a few times ...greta gunsmith, nice and has a ton of older guns. each time i have been there he has had a "vintage model infrom of him that a customer has rought in for help id-ing