Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default ltcf pottstown local check card

ok so i had some free time and decided to turn in my local check card..got to station, and officer said has to be turned in durring normal hours of opperation, no biggie. ill dropit off monday at lunch break from work...then he states theres a fee.........um ok how much i ask. he replies 20 or 25 bucks???? realy....

so let me get this right local check 25 bucks
    permit in norristown 40 buck for hard copy
    75 buck for ltcf???
    any one else pay for local check card in pottstown, and is it the same pics check they use for a gun purchase??

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: ltcf pottstown local check card

Quote Originally Posted by mischief2145 View Post
    ok so i had some free time and decided to turn in my local check card..got to station, and officer said has to be turned in durring normal hours of opperation, no biggie. ill dropit off monday at lunch break from work...then he states theres a fee.........um ok how much i ask. he replies 20 or 25 bucks???? realy....

75 buck for ltcf???
    any one else pay for local check card in pottstown, and is it the same pics check they use for a gun purchase??
    What they're doing is illegal. The sheriff is supposed to do the background check, not the police. And it should only end up costing $20. I'd have a meeting with the sheriff, and bring a lawyer.

(Montgomery County)

i just thought it was crazy....prob there way of making a buck on my expense. just never heard of local check costing anything....ima keep looking in the forums for a answer

(Montgomery County)

or maby even the officer didnt know what he was talking bout....ill post more monday to let everone know how it goes down

(Dauphin County)

or maby even the officer didnt know what he was talking bout....ill post more monday to let everone know how it goes down
    PLEASE refuse any demand for payment for the check card. The sheriff's demand that you obtain the check card already violates the law. The police making you pay for it would be adding injury to insult.

If they try to insist on payment, please at least post here at get the advice and perhaps assistance from other members first. There might be someone near you who can help with talking to a stubborn sheriff and/or police chief. The entire LTCF application process, by law, costs $20.
    Last edited by twency; March 11th, 2012 at 09:05 AM.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Franklin County)

I agree with the statements above but use this as proof and do not pay the extra fees, also make the sheriff do the checks because that is their job by law. Print the statute off at this page and take it with you, so if they tell you you're full of shit you can refer them to it. The Uniform Firearms Act § 6109 states (in part) the following. Use the page I link to for full text though.

The fee is supposed to be $25 according to (h)(1) which adds as: (h)(1)$19; **(h)(2)(ii)$5; (h)(3)$1

§ 6109. Licenses. (relevant info only; emphasis added)

(d) Sheriff to conduct investigation.--The sheriff to whom the application is made shall:
    (1) investigate the applicant's record of criminal conviction;
    (2) investigate whether or not the applicant is under indictment for or has ever been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year;
    (3) investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety;
    (4) investigate whether the applicant would be precluded from receiving a license under subsection (e)(1) or section 6105(h) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms); and
    (5) conduct a criminal background, juvenile delinquency and mental health check following the procedures set forth in section 6111 (relating to sale or transfer of firearms), receive a unique approval number for that inquiry and record the date and number on the application.

(h) Fee.--
    (1) In addition to fees described in paragraphs (2)(ii) and (3), the fee for a license to carry a firearm is $19. This includes all of the following:
    (i) A renewal notice processing fee of $1.50.
    (ii) An administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the act of July 6, 1984 (P.L. 614, No. 127), [FN2] known as the Sheriff Fee Act.
    (2) (i) The Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency shall implement, within five years of the effective date of this paragraph, a system in conjunction with the Pennsylvania State Police and the Pennsylvania Sheriffs' Association to standardize and modernize the process of issuing licenses to carry firearms. Upon implementation of the system under this paragraph, the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency shall publish notice thereof in the Pennsylvania Bulletin.
    (ii) An additional temporary fee of $5 shall be remitted by the sheriff to the Firearms License to Carry Modernization Account, which is hereby established as a special restricted receipt account within the General Fund of the State Treasury. Moneys and investment income in the account shall be awarded as grants to sheriffs to implement the system, including grants to reimburse sheriffs for expenses incurred prior to the effective date of this paragraph.
    (iii) Moneys credited to the account and any investment income accrued are hereby appropriated on a continuing basis to the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency. The commission shall establish procedures related to the application process for and distribution of funds to sheriffs under this paragraph. Notwithstanding the provisions of subparagraph (ii), the commission may withhold annually an amount not exceeding 5% of the funds credited to the account in that fiscal year for the cost to implement the system under subparagraph (i) and for administrative costs directly related to the responsibilities of the commission under this paragraph.
    (iv) This paragraph shall expire five years after its effective date. Any surplus funds remaining in the account established in subparagraph (ii) at such time shall lapse into the General Fund.
    (3) An additional fee of $1 shall be paid by the applicant for a license to carry a firearm and shall be remitted by the sheriff to the Firearms License Validation System Account, which is hereby established as a special restricted receipt account within the General Fund of the State Treasury. The account shall be used for purposes under subsection (l). Moneys credited to the account and any investment income accrued are hereby appropriated on a continuing basis to the Pennsylvania State Police.
    (4) No fee other than that provided by this subsection or the Sheriff Fee Act may be assessed by the sheriff for the performance of any background check made pursuant to this act.
    (5) The fee is payable to the sheriff to whom the application is submitted and is payable at the time of application for the license.
    (6) Except for the administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the Sheriff Fee Act, all other fees shall be refunded if the application is denied but shall not be refunded if a license is issued and subsequently revoked.
    (7) A person who sells or attempts to sell a license to carry a firearm for a fee in excess of the amounts fixed under this subsection commits a summary offense.

** updated fee expired (The deadline for application for the funds is January 26, 2010 and the terms of the program run from April 1, 2010 through March 31, 2011.)
    Last edited by Doughdaddy; March 11th, 2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: corrected for expired fee

LTCF fee statewide is now $20 as of nearly a year ago when the Sheriff Modernization Account fee expired

So they make you do the questionably legal check card thing, will only take it during regular hours (causing you to make another trip), then want to illegally charge you $20 or $25 bucks for it?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    LTCF fee statewide is now $20 as of nearly a year ago when the Sheriff Modernization Account fee expired
    Dan needs to change the page or make a notation on it. I will make a few checks and update my post with the information as well.

I paid $25 a little over a year ago in Dauphin County. Other than taking 14 days to complete everything it was a seamless process. It really took the deputy 15 minutes since they never did my paperwork when I came back at 14 days, so the deputy did the PICS, printed and laminated the card while I watched. I then asked why they originally stated 14 days when it was that easy. He said that it is their "waiting period" of sorts.

75 buck for ltcf???
    OK , the plastic CC style LTCF USED to be 40 bucks in Montco. It is no longer that price. It is now the $ 20 bucks everyone else is saying.

They MAY have their information wrong considering the person you spoke to said he wasn't sure. That is why they told you to come back during Office hours , as they have admin personnel who take care of these things for them. I have no heard of a local PD charging for the LTCF BI in Montco yet. Now they may charge fees for fingerprinting and it could be what the person you were speaking with was thinking of.

So before you get your panties in a bunch , and get everyone all pissed off , go back during normal business hours , talk to their administrative staff and take it from there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast