Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Got hit by shrapnel at the Range today.

So I bought my mother a Ruger SR9c on friday. I went to the range today to test it out. I went to the indoor range and put 50 rounds thru it. Had one failure to feed. I went to the outside range to shoot some steel. Not to get off topic, but I loved the Ruger's trigger, way better than my Glock 19. Very light recoil. But I digress. So i set up at the outdoor range where they have 2 large plates set up at 15 and 25 yards. I put 50 rounds thru, slow and rapid firing. I loaded 5 rounds into a magazine and decided to shoot 5 rapidly at the 15 yard steel target. I connected on the first two and immediately following the third shot, I felt a hard impact right under my left armpit, incidentally I hit the next 2 shots. I was immediately confused as to what happened. I put the gun down and immediately reached for my armpit, it hurt pretty bad and felt for any blood and looked for holes in my shirts. I found no holes and felt no blood. I couldn't find anything on the ground as it was covered with spent brass and rocks. There is a picture to follow. I have to say I feel I was lucky. If you think about it, with my stance and how I hold the gun, the projectile travelled right under my hand and arms. Glad it didn't hit my hands or fingers or impacted the gun and possibility of hitting my face or neck. I am amazed that something could have come directly back at me....there was no angle that would enable a ricochet. I can only guess at how fast it was traveling, but I couldn't see it coming at me, so it was going pretty fast. It hit me really hard. So that is what happened, and now I can say that technically I have been shot, and even at a fraction of it's top velocity it still hurt pretty bad. It is probably a million to one shot, but it does have me thinking about shooting steel again. Anyone had anything similar happen to them? I am not a physicist or mathematician, but I didn't think something could come directly back at me from little or no angle.
    Last edited by pokerguy005; May 10th, 2012 at 03:45 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Got hit by shrapnel at the Range today.

You were using copper jacketed ammo right? My guess is the copper jacket came back and hit you. I'm not surprised. You should use lead rounds only when shooting steel plates.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Cumberland County)

Sorry, here is the picture.
    Last edited by pokerguy005; May 10th, 2012 at 03:45 PM.

(Cumberland County)

I will have to remember that. Thanks. I was surprised at how hard it hit me.

(Philadelphia County)

i've been hit by a few of them, i think most indoor shooters have. it's generally nothing to be concerned about (not enough energy to be truly damaging), as long as it doesn't catch an eye/etc.

but, yeah. scary/freaky/'wait, what?' the first time it happens.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by kimura View Post
    i've been hit by a few of them, i think most indoor shooters have. it's generally nothing to be concerned about (not enough energy to be truly damaging), as long as it doesn't catch an eye/etc.

This was outside, but yeah it is a bit freaky.

I once had a .25 cal bullet ricochet twice, and come straight back and hit me in the forehead. Lots of blood but no serious damage. Found the bullet (jacketed ball) laying at my feet. Until that happened I always thought it was impossible for a bullet to come straight back.

Glad you weren't seriously hurt.

(Chester County)

I have been hit with lots of fragments when shooting steel... wear good glasses and stay back as far as possible
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by kimura View Post

The reason he mentioned indoor shooters is because most indoor ranges are one huge steel trap. Most indoor steel ranges require all lead rounds to avoid jacket riccochete. Some people think that shooting jacketed ammo inside is ok then get hit. The same can happen outside when shooting steel. Best to use all lead or frangible ammo.

Check out YouTube for the 50BMG riccochete where the guy hits steel I'd guess at 500 yards and it comes back to hit him in the earmuffs.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    I have been hit with lots of fragments when shooting steel... wear good glasses and stay back as far as possible
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    This, always be sure to wear quality, impact resistant shooting glasses. Bruises, cuts, even shallow penetrations will heal, but your eyes are to important to put at risk.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast