Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Transfer of Handgun to PA

This may have been covered already but I can't seem to find it. Apologies if it was...

My father bought a Hi Standard Supermatic Citation back in '73 while living in NJ. He went through all the proper channels of course so he legally owns it. About 10 years ago, he moved to the Pittsburgh, PA area.

Anyway, he is getting up there in years and as much as I hate to think about it, he will be dying some time within the next 10 years. We have talked about this gun as it is something I have always wanted...it's like new still and is a great gun...aside from all the memories attached to it. During our talk about it, he told me he never transferred it to PA through any legal avenues...just moved up here and put it away.

So here I am, wondering what should be done? How much would it take for him now to transfer this gun to PA?
    Does he really need to do that?
    What happens when he dies as far as me taking ownership of it? I mean, I know about the parent to child transfer and that will work for his S&W model 60 and his Clock that he bought while in PA but what about this Hi Standard that isn't registered here?

Any help would be appreciated.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Transfer of Handgun to PA

There is nothing that needs to be done to "transfer it to PA". When he moved here, he was legally allowed to bring it with him as any other possession - no registration, no gun listing, nothing.. There is no registration in PA, only a sales transfer record of handgun transfers within the state whether private or commercial - however, there is an exemption for transfers to and from spouses, children/parents, and grandchildren/grandparents.

He can retain it or just give it to you at any time without any paperwork whatsoever. As for when he dies, he should list it in a will. If an executor is named and gives it away - it may have to go thru a sheriff.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 10th, 2008 at 11:30 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Wayne County)

Thanks.
    I guess I wrongly assumed that since he had to register it in NJ when he bought it that there would be some sort of paper work involved to bring it to this state. I am aware there is no registration here really as I have bought guns here before.

(Snyder County)

Just as knight said, no registration in PA. He can give to you at any time, provided you are still a PA resident. And yes, make sure his guns are listed in his will as going to the people he wants them to goto. Then there is no question on who gets them and saves a lot of hassles on the legal side....even if you are the only benefactor.

(Lycoming County)

Not to disagree with Zef, he always seems right on. However, I do not think I would want it listed anywhere, will, probate, nowhere if it was in my control. I would treat it as mine and all else be damned. DO NOT MENTION IT AGAIN.

Be safe.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusGuy View Post
    Thanks.
    I guess I wrongly assumed that since he had to register it in NJ when he bought it that there would be some sort of paper work involved to bring it to this state. I am aware there is no registration here really as I have bought guns here before.

You forgot that NJ isn't part of the United States, they have broken off to form their own country and their own rules.

(Centre County)

I would approach him to see if he wouldn't give them to you now. How much does he shoot anymore? He may already realize that he is not going to do anything with them now so he can give them to you at any time. Now would be better than later, especially if something happens, then they will be part of his estate and you can't touch them until the estate goes through probate, unless it is spelled out in the will that you get all the firearms.

Just discuss it with him and explain the problems if it has to go through probate. Explain what was answered to you that there is no registration in PA and when he moved here it was perfectly legal to bring the guns with him and unlike NJ he doesn't have to do anything to give them to you.

Good Luck.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Wayne County)

Thanks everyone.

The problems I face with him are going to be hard to overcome. He does not go shooting anymore yet I can understand that he wants a gun in the house for protection as he does live in Pittsburgh. He hasn't shot the Hi Standard in over 15 years...So that is fine and honestly, I don't care about the Model 60 or the Glock (sure, they would be nice to have but...) and all I really want is that Hi Standard just because of what it means to me.

As a side note here...he also has a full Lionel train set that he got when he was 5 years old (which puts it at over 70 years old now) and I want this too...but the problems facing me with the guns, face me with this train set as well....

To continue...Back in the early 90's, he got married to this lady that none of us can stand. She is bossy and just plain nasty...he is happy so whatever, we accepted the whole thing (like there was a choice, right? lol)...He and I have talked about me getting the train and the .22 and basically, that's all I really want...and he assures me that he has told her that he wants me to have those things. Yes...he "told her"...there is no will at all...none. He told her and that is supposed to be enough. The way she is, I suspect that I will never see that train or the gun. I think she will hand these things over to her kids instead and what he told her will be forgotten by her on purpose or it just won't matter to her at all.

He seems very unwilling to let these things go before he dies and seems perfectly fine with and sure that she will turn them over to me just because he told her to. I am not so sure of this and have told him so but that is how it is. I think he feels like giving them up now, since he has had them so long, that it would be like giving up a part of himself.

(Chester County)

My condolances TG.

My father and his family had some very odd relationships - relating to a little dementia down my paternal grandmothers lines. She passed first - with a very crooked will, basically leaving everything to herself (naming herself as her own daughter, etc.). My grandfather pled with my dad to not contest it as he would make it up later. That never happened later.

I do recommend getting the important things taken care of - they are much harder to rectify later, and tend to 'grow' in scope.

Best of luck to ya!

(Jefferson County)

d00d... make sure your dad gets a will written up.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast