Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Post Anyone experience Mercer County LTCF Procedure?

I was wondering if they have changed the procedure in Mercer County with getting a LTCF yet? I've heard and read that it will be similar to getting a drivers license by just coming in doing the application process and if all is good, walking out with your license 30 minutes later. Can anyone confirm or deny this that has been the Mercer county sheriffs office lately?
    "It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Anyone experience Mercer County LTCF Procedure?

Yes, it's that simple. Make sure you bring a photo copy of your driver's license as they will not copy it for you. Somedays you may get out in 30 min, others could take over an hour. They told me early Tuesday is the best time to go.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gymmor View Post
    Yes, it's that simple. Make sure you bring a photo copy of your driver's license as they will not copy it for you. Somedays you may get out in 30 min, others could take over an hour. They told me early Tuesday is the best time to go.
    They require you to bring a photocopy of your DL? What do they do if you don't bring it?
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Mercer County)

Send you off with your application and tell you to come back with a copy. I had to run to a pharmacy down the street and make a copy and go back.

(Mercer County)

Thumbs up Re: Anyone experience Mercer County LTCF Procedure?

Thanks for the confirmation! This is even true for a new applicant? Them conducting the background and everything else needed for character check? It's great to hear that they have streamlined the process! I commend them. I am going here in the next few weeks. (working a lot right now) I see some counties applications are processed right over the internet now thru the county/sheriffs website. I wonder if it has something to do with >>> 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses The Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency shall implement, within five years of the effective date of this paragraph, a system in conjunction with the Pennsylvania State Police and the Pennsylvania Sheriffs' Association to standardize and modernize the process of issuing licenses to carry firearms. Upon implementation of the system under this paragraph, the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency shall publish notice thereof in the Pennsylvania Bulletin.
    "It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gymmor View Post
    Send you off with your application and tell you to come back with a copy. I had to run to a pharmacy down the street and make a copy and go back.
    Somedays you may get out in 30 min, others could take over an hour. They told me early Tuesday is the best time to go.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwoods View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation! This is even true for a new applicant? Them conducting the background and everything else needed for character check? It's great to hear that they have streamlined the process! I commend them. I am going here in the next few weeks. (working a lot right now) I see some counties applications are processed right over the internet now thru the county/sheriffs website.
    Nothing I have shows that happening at all, ever, not even in a single county.

Some host application forms that you can fill out, print, and take in, however.

(Mercer County)

it's that easy. Seems all countys have gone this route. Definetly take a copy of your dl.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by marke1090 View Post
    it's that easy. Seems all countys have gone this route. Definetly take a copy of your dl.
    If by "this route" you mean "walk in, apply, walk out with your license" with no extra rigamarole, then not all counties have gone this route. There are multiple threads here on PAFOA discussing the various inconveniences (both legal and extralegal) imposed by many counties.

(A requirement to bring a copy of your DL is one such extralegal requirement.)
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.