Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Must wait a year to re-apply for LTCF

I applied for a LTCF in Philadelphia August 5, 2011. After 40 days I received my acceptance letter, however I did not make it back to pick up my LTCF within the required 30 days since I was traveling during part of the month and did not really have a good opportunity to take time off of work to go pick it up.

I took a day off of work last Monday to re-apply. When I arrived at the "Gun Permits" unit, I was questioned if this was my first time applying. I said, "No, I applied last Fall, but did not pick up my license within 30 days of receiving my acceptance letter, so I need to re-apply." They took my drivers license to look up my file, and I sat down until called up for the interview. After making sure all my paperwork was in order, checking my proof of residence, making sure the money order was filled out, and stapling my passport photo to the application, I was informed that I had to wait one year after my initial application date before I could re-apply. I was then handed the application and lectured on why it is important to pick up the LTCF within the allotted 30 days.

Has anyone else has heard about this or experienced something similar? Can anything can be done short of lawyer-ing up? I did not see this "one year before re-applying" rule posted anywhere in their office, on the website, or on the application itself, and was not told this at the initial application. Since I was accepted, there is no legal reason to not issue me a LTCF, they are just doing a good job at keeping a law-abiding citizen from the ability to carry legally.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Must wait a year to re-apply for LTCF

See if George Zaiser in the Attorney General's office can assist you. I would also reach out to your State Rep and Senator.

Senior Deputy Attorney General George Zaiser
    Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General
    16th Floor, Strawberry Square
    Harrisburg, PA 17120
    (717) 787-3391

(Delaware County)

hahaha

no.... you don't have to wait a year. Go pick up your license.
    It's there waiting for you. Don't take "No" for an answer from some idiot at the counter

And if they insist in not giving it to you, demand a denial or revocation letter stating the reason and demand a copy
    of the statute that tells them them have the power to deny you for not picking it up OR having to wait a year.
    Last edited by BimmerJon; March 12th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

More of Killadelphia's way of "making up the rules as we go" bullshit they like to do. There is absolutely nothing in the UFA that says there is a time limit. Take your original acceptance letter down there and a copy of the section of the UFA detailing the licensure procedure and demand your license.

Ah, but here's a question if he is forced to reapply.

If the LTCF was already issued in his name and now they won't give it to him, are they going to revoke it before they will issue him another one when he reapplies?

Best advice was already given... demand it now if they won't give it, get a lawyer.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Ah, but here's a question if he is forced to reapply.

If the LTCF was already issued in his name and now they won't give it to him, are they going to revoke it before they will issue him another one when he reapplies?

Best advice was already given... demand it now if they won't give it, get a lawyer.
    There is NO way in the current system to re-issue a LTCF (lost, stolen, etc). Your current license HAS TO be revoked and then you reapply. Or they can simply let you reapply and then you'd have two licenses (no issue per statutes)

The issue is that for the rest of your life, if you apply for a LTCF in PA or any other state, if you're asked "Have you ever had an application for permit/license denied or revoked"

You have to answer "Yes"

According to the UFA... there is NO PROVISION for a Sheriff or COP to deny or revoke your license for "failure to pickup in 30 days", nor is there authority granted to them to tell you "you have to wait 365 days to reapply".

They are making up their own rules and breaking the law themselves in doing so.

Go down there with your approved letter and get your license. Period

As far as the PPD making you get fingerprinted, sign something promising to conceal or engage in "interviews", showing your tattoos... you dont have to do any of that
    Last edited by BimmerJon; March 12th, 2012 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    As far as the PPD making you get fingerprinted, sign something promising to conceal or engage in "interviews", showing your tattoos... you dont have to do any of that
    Not to threadjack but a ques. I understand the ppd makes up extra rules like having to have two references fill out questions about u which is bs, can they rightly deny my application for not handing in those reference sheets, refuse fingerprinting, etc...

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    There is NO way in the current system to re-issue a LTCF (lost, stolen, etc). Your current license HAS TO be revoked and then you reapply. Or they can simply let you reapply and then you'd have two licenses (no issue per statutes)
    Based on what info? By "the current system" do you mean the recent changes that have taken place, or do you simply mean the statute doesn't address the matter?

I've had a license "reissued" to me, and it would seem to me that a replacement card could be produced for any license that's still valid within the system...so long as the issuing authority isn't unwilling to actually do what's necessary to get it done.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Based on what info? By "the current system" do you mean the recent changes that have taken place, or do you simply mean the statute doesn't address the matter?

I've had a license "reissued" to me, and it would seem to me that a replacement card could be produced for any license that's still valid within the system...so long as the issuing authority isn't unwilling to actually do what's necessary to get it done.
    Based on the new system implemented state wide.
    I've also read the training manual and computer operators book for the system.
    Based on all my research the system does not give an option to reprint a license, only revoke and reissue.

Check the number between your licenses... they should be different.

(Chester County)

Technically wouldn't you have a valid LTCF's but you don't have physical possession of it? Why not simply get a duplicate as if your wallet was lost or stolen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast