Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default neck sizing vs. full length

I'm specifically talking toward the. 270 Winchester but rifles in general. What are the benefits to neck sizing? I have always full length sized but have recently heard neck sizing yields more accuracy, is there any truth to that. Is the accuracy even worth considering is a deer gun at 200 yards?

If it matters I load with H4831 with Hornady SST 130gr or Sierra game king 130gr.
    Last edited by *Klutch*; March 10th, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

(Clarion County)

Default Re: neck sizing vs. full length

Yes accuracy can be improved with not only neck sizing, but custom sizing the cartridge to your chamber.
    However for hunting accuracy, and for the average nimrod it would vary from firearm to firearm, and shooters ability. Also neck sized cartridges for one firearm may not chamber reliably in others. I neck size certain cartridges to prolong case life, and have seen improved accuracy in certain calibers. Thinking specifically in a 22/250 single shot I use.
    Last edited by cephas; March 10th, 2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: put in wrong link, deleted
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Berks County)

What are the benefits to neck sizing?
    Like cephas mentioned, case life and accuracy.

Every time you full length resize you work the brass and the times that piece of brass can be loaded should be just about doubled by just neck sizing (in my experience anyway).

Just watch the case length, I can usually just neck size for about 3 or 4 loadings before they need a trim and a full resize. Make sure you keep your brass segregated for THAT rifle.

As for accuracy, once you find that perfect powder and bullet load, neck sizing can give you a just little more edge on accuracy. The rest is up to you.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I'm specifically talking toward the. 270 Winchester but rifles in general. What are the benefits to neck sizing? I have always full length sized but have recently heard neck sizing yields more accuracy, is there any truth to that. Is the accuracy even worth considering is a deer gun at 200 yards?

If it matters I load with H4831 with Hornady SST 130gr or Sierra game king 130gr.
    The neck sizing can help. Also here is something you can do with a full length sizer. This assumes you are working with one .270 and it is a bolt action or a single shot. Take a case that was fired from the 270 and lube it. Screw your FL sizer die in but back it off a full two turns from seating. Run the case up in the press and then out. Look at the neck and see how far down the die resized the neck. Screw the die down about an 1/8 turn and then run the case up in the die again. Keep doing this until the die just touches the shoulder of the case but did not move the shoulder. Try shooting some with this adjustment and see if there is an accuracy improvement. There commonly is. Hope this helps.

Thanks saleen, i thought about doing that's but just second guessed myself. Good idea though.

(Somerset County)

I won't argue that you may see a bit more accuracy. But for big game hunting, I want absolute reliability that a round will chamber and the bolt close and that it happens not only under great conditions in the summer but also during cold, crappy weather with the rifle at my shoulder when I'm trying to get a second shot off.

I keep track of loads and trims on my brass. I've got plenty of 270 brass that is on it's 6th or 7th load and has been full length sized each time. Plus I know that my loads will fit in a friends rifle if he needs some of my ammo for some reason.

With big game, we're talking a vital area the size of a paper plate. Will your rifle kill any better if it shoots 1 inch or 0.9 inches?

Dale

Dale, thanks man. That's what i was trying to get at, I wanted to know if it really made a difference for hunting. I do shoot some paper but I wanted to hear about real world use.

(Dauphin County)

When I started neck sizing, my groups shrank about 0.5"-1". I like getting my loads as accurate as I can in case I have a bad day while hunting. If I screw-up a bit with a 0.5" group I can be off like 5" in all directions and I'm still in the vitals. Thats my reasoning anyhow.

(Centre County)

If the ammo is staying with one particular gun, you can neck resize only. If the ammo you load may be going into different guns, then you're better off full length resizing to insure it fits all the guns.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Somerset County)

The other thing we haven't touched on is action type. Pumps, levers, and semi-autos don't have the camming power that a bolt does to chamber a shell that is a 'tight' fit. Ammo for those rifles should be full length sized.

Dale