Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default 4 inch Redhawk vs. 6.5 inch S&W 629 for Woods Carry

I have discussed this before but never really made a decision and am now faced with a quick decision. I am trying to decide if it is worth investing in a used Redhawk 4 inch 44 mag for woods carry and bear defense for frequent trips to Montana and general carry around here vs. just carrying my S&W 629 Classic NRA Special Edition 6.5 inch barrel. Image attached.

Pros and cons:
    1) The 629 is an NRA special edition #163 of 650 in polished stainless and currently unfired. It is my first truly pretty gun and is so SWEEEEEET.

2) The 629 is somewhat muzzle heavy because of the full lug 6.5 inch barrel and may be slower to deploy quickly. Not well balanced but will reduce felt recoil.

3) The Redhawk is 2.5 inches shorter in overall length and weighs about 1.5 ounces less. Easier to carry but will probably kick more especially with heavy loads.

4) The Redhawk could handle heavy loads better with a longer cylinder and should hold up to abuse better. I have heard Smiths don't like heavy loads and loosen up if fed more than a few.

4) The 629 is already in the safe and paid for while the Redhawk is $585 used in a local shop.

5) It would be nice to have a workhorse like the Redhawk in my stable for woods carry/large game defense but the 629 is such a sweet gun I would probably end up shooting that one a lot more at the range with lighter loads or maybe taking it hunting occasionally. The action is unreal.

6) The Redhawk would be easier to carry on a belt but I would probably end up with a chest or shoulder holster for both guns because of the weight.

Is it worth investing in the Redhawk or should I just use the 629 for a woods carry gun and stop stressing over babying it? Concealment is not an issue. It is simply a matter of using and possibly slightly abusing the S&W with occasionally heavy loads and risk scratching a special edition gun with holster wear vs. laying out some cash for a used workhorse of a Rehawk. Cash is a little tight in our current economy.

One more caveat. I also came across a used Taurus M44 in 4 inch in a local shop for $399. I have heard good and bad about Taurus revolvers, especially ones that your life may be depending on. Damn I hate decisions that involve spending money.

Should I baby the 629 and pony up some cash for a workhorse gun or should I use the 629 and keep my money for ammo and a nice leather holster? An Alessi shoulder holster would be freakin' awesome. I am not sure if I would like carrying a 6.5 inch revolver all day every day for a couple weeks straight.

Your opinions are welcome and REALLY appreciated. I have a feeling everyone is going to tell me to stop being a wuss and take the 629 out and use it as it was meant to be used but I need some opinions to help me make up my mind, especially from those who have carried one of these all day long.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brudog; March 10th, 2012 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Image upload

(Carbon County)

Default Re: 4 inch Redhawk vs. 6.5 inch S&W 629 for Woods Carry

if your just looking to use it for a woods gun, use the smith, how many heavy loads are you going to shoot out of it? probably zero? how many bear attacks are you looking to have? unless i was a serious handgun hunter, 1 44mag is plenty.

Will you be backpacking, car camping, or day hiking, or will you be using pack horses?

Also, are you going to be in areas that are known to have grizzlies? They are not all over the state you know.

I spent 1990 to 1998 living in western MT and did a ton of backpacking out there while carrying a a Ruger Redhawk with a 7.5" barrel.

That was ALOT of gun to be carrying while also having a backpack with 50-60lbs of gear on your back.

I went back to MT in 2006 with that same revolver. After talking to wildlife officials and determining that there were not grizzlies in the area i was going to be backpacking in, I decided to leave the gun at a friends house and bought pepper spray instead just in case.

Now, if I had to do it all over again, gun wise I would definitely be carrying a 44 mag revolver with a 4 inch barrel, just which one I am not sure, but 4 inches would be the maximum barrel length I would get got backpacking/hiking.

If it were me I would probably sell the smith or keep it as a safe queen and just get the ruger with the 4" barrel.

Also, if your not that experienced in bear country I recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Aware-Hik.../dp/1560444568
    Last edited by glocke12; March 10th, 2012 at 09:28 AM.

(Luzerne County)

My trips are often for two reasons. Sometimes it is vacation and sometimes it is for photography work so I will be carrying my photography gear either way. I usually hit from Emigrant to Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, and Glacier for a few weeks so Grizzly population is there.

I have been fortunate so far and never ran into any wildlife that was startled or aggressive because I have been very careful to make them aware I was there and to read their body language but I have run into an aggressive wolf pack(which is even more rare than seeing a grizzly close up in my opinion) as well as a cat, a black bear, a curious coyote, and the typical elk, bison and moose.

The trekking will be a combination of being in a truck with a lot of getting in and out and setting up gear and sitting and waiting for a shot as well as some day hiking with some light gear to get further in especially in Glacier. I won't be doing any overnight hiking or use any horses. I sometimes have access to rafts for river trips (keep it mild) and maybe an ATV depending on where I am going.

I like the idea of the 4 inch Redhawk but I wasn't sure if it would be worth the difference in accessibility and carry comfort of saving 2.5 inches in barrel length especially if I am planning on a shoulder or chest holster but I never carried a large revolver all day for a couple weeks at a time.

Some areas I am in are also touristy. I am not sure how a large revolver strapped to my chest is going to go over with tourists even though it is legal as opposed to a shoulder holster which might be somewhat covered or at lease less obvious. I just need to watch if I use any public buildings in any of the parks.

Glocke12, Thanks for the link to the book. I am going to pick up a copy. You can never know too much about facing a bear.

(Westmoreland County)

It sounds like you really want to keep that S&W in the shape that it is in. If that is the case get the Ruger. Either one of them will serve you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    My trips are often for two reasons. Sometimes it is vacation and sometimes it is for photography work so I will be carrying my photography gear either way. I usually hit from Emigrant to Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, and Glacier for a few weeks so Grizzly population is there.

I have been fortunate so far and never ran into any wildlife that was startled or aggressive because I have been very careful to make them aware I was there and to read their body language but I have run into an aggressive wolf pack(which is even more rare than seeing a grizzly close up in my opinion) as well as a cat, a black bear, a curious coyote, and the typical elk, bison and moose.

The trekking will be a combination of being in a truck with a lot of getting in and out and setting up gear and sitting and waiting for a shot as well as some day hiking with some light gear to get further in especially in Glacier. I won't be doing any overnight hiking or use any horses. I sometimes have access to rafts for river trips (keep it mild) and maybe an ATV depending on where I am going.

I like the idea of the 4 inch Redhawk but I wasn't sure if it would be worth the difference in accessibility and carry comfort of saving 2.5 inches in barrel length especially if I am planning on a shoulder or chest holster but I never carried a large revolver all day for a couple weeks at a time.

Some areas I am in are also touristy. I am not sure how a large revolver strapped to my chest is going to go over with tourists even though it is legal as opposed to a shoulder holster which might be somewhat covered or at lease less obvious. I just need to watch if I use any public buildings in any of the parks.

Glocke12, Thanks for the link to the book. I am going to pick up a copy. You can never know too much about facing a bear.

If your going to have camera gear I'd definitely get the 4" ruger. When I did my trip in 2006 I had camera gear strapped to my chest in addition to a 50+ pound backpack, so that was a big factor in making me decide to leave my ruger behind. If you get the ruger, make sure you practice with it using the loads you expect to use in it.

I'd go 4" Redhawk. My next Revolver purchase will be just that. Plus the Redhawk will take the hot rounds from companies like Buffalo Bore. Load it up with heavy hardcast rounds for bear. Ruger also makes 5.5" Redhawk which doesn't have the very large barrel like your Smith.

(Bucks County)

My opinions:

Your 629 is sweeeeeet, but to much barrel for hiking. I love full underlug guns, i think they look awesome. I don't believe in safe queens, and would shoot the hell out of it because you only live once.

I would buy the Ruger 4" and use it as another tool in the toolbox.

"Is it worth investing in the Redhawk?" Yes, its always a good idea to invest in another Ruger. I carry a 4" GP100 with hard cast Double Tap bullets on my belt while hiking. A good quality belt, and a good quality holster make all the difference in the world for all day carry while hiking.

(Cumberland County)

Hotdogs or hamburgers?

Some people think cucumbers taste better pickled.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Luzerne County)

Well the decision was made. After looking at the gun again and working up a trade with some stuff I was thinking about getting rid of I put a deposit down and will be picking it up in the next week or so.

After I looked at the gun again it seemed like whoever had it barely fired it. There wasn't even a line on the cylinder yet. Still in the box nearly new.

I will say it is quite significantly more beef then any S&W I have ever handled. I have often handled 454s in Super Redhawk and thought they were beefed up compared to the Redhawk but this is quite a thick gun. It does balance nicely with the shorter barrel.

I think my best mode of carry will be a shoulder holster. I use a Wilderness Tactical CSM belt when carrying my XD45 but unless I have very well fitted jeans the gun tends to pull my pants down at 29oz. I can't imagine what the Redhawk would do at 49oz on my waste. I was looking at the Falco Shoulder holster. Nice holster with a decent price.

I appreciate everyone's input. My 629 will now be a range gun and will be enjoyed but it will be reserved for 44 special or light loads of 44 mag. Maybe it will see some deer hunting action down the road. The Ruger will be my woods gun from now on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast