Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Dillon Precision

Looking for some feedback from owners/users. I have a RCBS master reloading kit with several additions. It's fine for someone who doesn't want to reload in bulk or has time to kill. I shoot way to much not to reload and find my self just buying bulk ammo online rather than reloading due to the time it takes. I know reloading is something that will always take time and attention to detail but I need more production then I am ever going to get out of my RCBS setup.

.45 ACP and .223/5.56 are must reload calibers for me. Been checking out the different models and options on Dillon's website. Would like to get some feedback on the different models and what options are a must and which are a waste of money, general feedback about Dillon products.

Thanks!

Mike

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Dillon Precision

Dillon is a first class product with superb customer service. The 550 is a great progressive machine, have one set up for .38-40, .44-40, and .45ACP. Depending on if you have mutiple powder measures you can change calibers in less than a minute. If the cases use the same base ring and primer size eg. 9mm para and 5.56, pull two pins slide one toolhead off slide the other in replace the pins fill the primer tube and go.

I use a 550b for loading everything from .380 up to .300winmag. It's a great press and a great company.

One thing I'll suggest before you buy a bunch of "caliber conversions" is to look here: http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.conv.550.html

Each conversion is made up of a shell plate and 3 locator buttons. However, there is a lot of overlap. I wish I found that website's info before buying some since I have duplicates and could have saved money.

Dillon is the top in reloading. Lifetime warrenty on the equipment whether you are the 1st owner or the 50th. If you shoot a lot and want to reload fast a 650 or 1050 that has the case feeder and/or bullet feeder. If you use brass with crimped primers Dillons better press can be set up to remove the primers and swage the pockets on the press. They even have a power case trimmer to mount on the press. For loading a lot of rounds your better off with more press than the 550.

(Susquehanna County)

I think I see a RL 550B in your future. It is a very good all-around machine, uses standard dies, can be set up to feed large or small primers and has a number of upgrades to make things faster or easier. On top of that Dillon has a customer service/support system that is second to none!

I've been using my machine for just slightly more than 20 years. There have been a few replacement parts over the years, but I've never paid for one of them! Dillon says guaranteed for life and they mean it.

Now all that being said, there a a few caveats! Each machine has its' own foibles and while some will try to tell you they make 500 rounds per hour, I've never been able to get more than 150 per hour. Sometimes primers mis-feed, sometimes they'll turn in the cup or get seated sideways so watch what you're doing until you get used to the feel of things.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steel City View Post
    Looking for some feedback from owners/users. I have a RCBS master reloading kit with several additions. It's fine for someone who doesn't want to reload in bulk or has time to kill. I shoot way to much not to reload and find my self just buying bulk ammo online rather than reloading due to the time it takes. I know reloading is something that will always take time and attention to detail but I need more production then I am ever going to get out of my RCBS setup.

.45 ACP and .223/5.56 are must reload calibers for me. Been checking out the different models and options on Dillon's website. Would like to get some feedback on the different models and what options are a must and which are a waste of money, general feedback about Dillon products.

Thanks!

Mike
    Dillon is a fine company that has great service. I also recommend you keep your RCBS single stage and ADD the Dillon. For precison loading of large rifle cartridges, you can't beat the strength of a solid, O-frame single stage press. When it comes to volume in straight wall pistol cases, the Dillion comes into its own.
    Last edited by saleen322; December 6th, 2011 at 08:24 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    Dillion is a fine company that has great service. I also recommend you keep your RCBS single stage and ADD the Dillion. For precison loading of large rifle cartridges, you can't beat the strength of a solid, O-frame single stage press. When it comes to volume in straight wall pistol cases, the Dillion comes into its own.
    Thats the plan!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I spoke with Dillon today and I'm still trying to decide which model to get, please keep the feedback and suggestions coming!

Thanks!

Mike

(Berks County)

Dillon does make great products, I would never pass a good deal on one. look at a hornady LNL AP press to since your looking at progresive press's, you cant go wrong with eather.

(Allegheny County)

Having owned both the 550 and 650, the 650 is the way to go. Auto indexing, auto case feeder and the 5 slot toolhead to me is worth the extra price. Take it from me spend the extra cash and get the 650, you will not be dissapointed.

I currently have the 650 so I am speaking from experiance.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Having owned both the 550 and 650, the 650 is the way to go. Auto indexing, auto case feeder and the 5 slot toolhead to me is worth the extra price. Take it from me spend the extra cash and get the 650, you will not be dissapointed.

I currently have the 650 so I am speaking from experiance.
    Found several videos on youtube that have been a big help. Other than the cost to change calibers I'm having a hard time finding a good reason not to go with the Super 1050.

How you been man? Been a long time since we ran into each other, I hope all is well....

Mike

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast