Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Default Anyone else following the M&P9 accuracy issues?

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...p-P-9-accuracy

Been following the issue on pistol-forum.com for a while now-- in case you haven't seen it, basically, the M&P9 is incredibly inaccurate at ranges of 25yds+. Most people only shooting within 15yds never see the issue, but groups of 6-10" are common at 25yds, where a comparable pistol would be pulling off 2-3" groups. Even if you find one good load, others will not hit at the same point of impact or give performance anywhere near close.

From what I can tell, pistol-forum.com (forum for pistol-training.com) is geared more towards competition shooters, and their guns see more use than usual and more use at extended ranges than someone more concerned with self-defense might practice with.

Most of these guys are exasperated. They like the platform, and they want to like the M&P9, but due to the accuracy problems fall back on different platforms (glock, h&k, etc). Apparently the .40 and .45 guns don't have these problems, so people hell-bent on using the M&P series resort to shooting more expensive calibers.

Anybody else experience this? For you guys with M&P9s, have you done any shooting at 25yds with/without success? I'd like to see what people here have to say.

(York County)

Default Re: Anyone else following the M&P9 accuracy issues?

I have not had any problems with accuracy with my M&P 9mm at 7, 15, and
    25 yards. Have not had any issues holding 2-4 inch groups at 25 yards with
    consistent hits in the center of mass of combat targets wether it be a B-27
    or IDPA/IPSIC style and Realistic target series. I am not looking at my M&P9
    as a target pistol shooting out the X-ring, I look at it as a "combat handgun"
    capable of delivering a round to an area of 11" X 23" out to fifty yards. I shot
    competition for many years in all sorts of disciplines. I am an "Old Guy" who
    likes to still shoot. Know the handgun as well as the performance of the
    ammunition you are using. The M&P 9 is a fine system.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Blair County)

I guess I should also clarify-- my initial post seems to present the info as fact; I'm not claiming that all the M&P9s are dreadfully inaccurate. Just presenting what I've read on the other forum. The purpose of this topic is to get more data and to see if others here are experiencing the same types of problems.

As for group size, I believe that's all anyone is hoping for-- 2-3" at 25 yards. Nobody's expecting miracles, simply competitive performance with other polymer autos.

Quote Originally Posted by medsteele View Post

From what I can tell, pistol-forum.com (forum for pistol-training.com) is geared more towards competition shooters, and their guns see more use than usual and more use at extended ranges than someone more concerned with self-defense might practice with.
    Completely the opposite, actually. There is one competition sub-forum on there, but the general drive/motivation of the membership is the use pistols in lethal encounters. In addition, there is only one big name competition shooter on there, Caleb, who is a pretty cool gun journalist and was on Top Shot.

The membership is however a very large percentage of people who've either been shot (some members multiple times), been shot at (some multiple times), shot at others, had their life threatened in some way, or otherwise are very dedicated to objectively finding the best way to preventing harm from coming to themselves.

It is a semi-professional forum that is oriented on training to a higher standard with an objective mindset. Whether it's competition or use of force isn't such a big matter, both endeavors are equally respected....but most of the membership is interested in training for the use of force. Anyone is welcome regardless of skill or experience, but the point of the forum is to objectively approach the process of improving yourself, no matter how good/bad you are.

I think you'll find the best information about the M&P accuracy issues right on that forum, due to these reasons. There's an extremely low signal-to-noise ratio.
    Last edited by TGS; March 8th, 2012 at 07:13 PM.

(Chester County)

You might check http://mp-pistol.com/boards/. If there is a problem, they'll know about it, and hopefully have some word on how to improve the situation.

(Montgomery County)

Interesting. Like others have noted, I've never really thought of my M&P as a tack driver, though I do shoot it in IDPA shoots and have found it plenty accurate for IDPA targets (usually 20 yards and in). that said, I did switch to a Storm Lake match barrel a few months ago and at 7 yards, with an Apex FSST, it punches out bull eyes and I'm an average shooter.