Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Temporarily Leaning Gun on Vehicles...

I've joined PAFOA in hopes of learning about the state statues regarding the leaning of UNloaded firearms against a vehicle...

I'm a hunter and small business owner. I developed a little device designed to safely hold an Unloaded firearm against your vehicle or other metal surface.
    It's called the Magnet Gun Caddy. I understand and agree that firearm should be placed in a case when not in use, however practically speaking there are times - especially when doing things like upland game hunting... coming back from the field with you hands full...you need a place to temporarily set your gun while you dig for your keys to open your vehicle to get your gun case...

I have run across a couple states where people have stated that it's illegal to lean a gun against a vehicle - but it's turned out they were misinformed. It's always turned out that it's legal as long as it's unloaded.

I'm looking for the statues regarding this in PA. Anyone available to help me with this?

Kaz
    Last edited by JayBell; March 8th, 2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: if you want tom post an ad, use the commercial ad forum. URL removed.

Default Re: Temporarily Leaning Gun on Vehicles...

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    . . .
    Title 34 Pa.C.S.A. Game
    § 2503. Loaded firearms in vehicles

(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to have a firearm of any kind in or on or against any conveyance propelled by mechanical power or its attachments at any time whether or not the vehicle or its attachment is in motion unless the firearm is unloaded.

(b) Exceptions.--This section shall not be construed to apply to:

(1) A police officer engaged in the performance of his official duty.

(2) A commission officer engaged in the performance of his duty.

(3) A person carrying a loaded pistol or revolver when in possession of a valid firearms license issued by the chief or head of any police force or the sheriff of a county when the license is issued for protection under 18 Pa.C.S. Ch. 61 Subch. A (relating to Uniform Firearms Act).

(4) Any person as defined in section 2121(c) (relating to killing game or wildlife to protect property) while on lands they control and when not hunting or trapping for game or wildlife.

(5) Any motorboat or other craft having a motor attached or any sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or the sail furled and its progress therefrom has ceased.

(6) Any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to general categories of permits).

The exceptions in paragraphs (1) through (5) do not apply when attempting to locate game or wildlife with an artificial light or when exercising any privileges granted by this title which may be exercised only when not in the possession of a firearm.

(c) Penalty.--A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fourth degree if the vehicle is in motion. Otherwise the violation is a summary offense of the fifth degree.
    We've discussed this statute here in the past.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Jefferson County)

From the law that GL001 posted above - it only prohibits loaded guns from being leaned against vehicles.

(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to have a firearm of any kind in or on or against any conveyance propelled by mechanical power or its attachments at any time whether or not the vehicle or its attachment is in motion unless the firearm is unloaded.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

I like that idea, simple but practical A lot of times I'll be throwing a wet and muddy jacket into a vehicle and I don't want it getting down my barrell.

As stated above, if it's unloaded it's ok. I believe the rule was put in place due to guns sliding off and shooting feet.

(Lehigh County)

A buddy of mine got whacked late last year with this exact charge. As Im not a hunter I really havent read up on this area....

Anyway, he was super concerned about the charge potentially affecting his ability to work (he may have had to report it to yet another governmental agency and they could have suspended or revoked his professional license).

I told him to IMMEDIATELY contact a knowledgeable firearms lawyer (that has posted in this thread) to which he did. I too learned its a 'minor' offence, but event those can foul you up real good.

Thanks for taking care of my bud Phil.... greatly appreciated.

(Carbon County)

i have to admit i do it alot, but its not loaded. you just come out of a big field, walking for a couple of hours, you just want to put your gun down so you can drop things. would i ever buy it? i doubt it but its not a bad idea

(Allegheny County)

Is this kinda what you have in mind?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/174...ck-polymer-red
    The Lord Bless You

Hi Redhawlk,

Actually I was thinking about this product: Magnet Gun Caddy

GunLawyer001,

Thanks for the information - that was exactly what I was looking for!

Kaz

(Indiana County)

That's the type of product you end up seeing in a clearance bin.

Sorry, not trying to be mean about it and not trying to insult your idea, but that's a bit cheesy and I'd never pay anything for something that really has no purpose.

You would have to remember to put it onto your vehicle before you went out hunting or else you'd come back and still have to lean your gun against the truck.
    Besides, I learned long ago after my cousin ran over his Browning to never lean a gun on a vehicle.

That all said, good luck in your venture.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast