Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Firearm Discharge Laws

Does anyone know the rules regarding the discharging of a firearm in a residential area, specifically, the Shrewsbury, PA Township? If so, do you know where those rules/laws can be found?

The state police say it falls under the township. The township says it falls under the jurisdiction of the state police.

I've checked with the township and they don't seem to have any specific rules prohibiting the discharge of a firearm based on the proximity of one's home. I have been told it might fall, instead, under reckless endangerment. I thought I'd check here for some help.

Thanks in advance.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Firearm Discharge Laws

For what reason do you want to discharge a firearm in a residential area
    other than self-defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

I don't. It's my neighbor who, apparently thinks it's fun.

(York County)

As far as I know there is nothing about discharge of firearms in any township ordinance, there is a lot of rural/farm/woods area in the township where firearms can be shot safely. If it is being done in a manner that is unsafe I believe PSP could be called. Why do you have a problem with him shooting, is he doing something unsafe?

He and his buddy are shooting for 60-90 minutes into a dirt pile. I'm fine with shooting and hunting for sport and hobby. No problem. But this guy lives on about 1 acre of land in close proximity to other homes. It's not like he's on 5 or 10 or 50 acres in some rural farm setting. All he needs is to miss or have it ricochet and hit someone or something. Plus, I own three horses that are probably a football throw away from where he's shooting (about 50 yards or so), not to mention the kids who play in the neighborhood.

So, yeah, it doesn't seem very safe or very smart.

(Lackawanna County)

It may fall under a nuisance complaint but if your township does not define what a nuisance is your out of luck. Best option is to wait until he is done then all of the neighbors start shooting theirs and keeping them up.

I talked to a friend of mine who is a local cop in another state. He said it could also fall under reckless endangerment.

I guess no one will care until someone gets hurt or worse. Then it'll be a lawsuit and the township, the state, the neighbor, and everyone else will be left for the courts to sift through. It's kind of unbelievable (assuming it's true) that someone can be THAT close to other residents, kids, and animals without any rules or laws in place. It's just undeniably stupid.

(Delaware County)

Discharge of firearms is not regulated under state law or in the UFA, preemption, etc.

It is left up to local enforcement of the township.

Look it up on ecode360 or contact the towns code enforcement officer.

Depending on the area, population and how close houses are together generally will determine the legality

(York County)

Everyone might disagree with me but if he owns an acre and has made a safe backstop (dirtpile) I do not see the problem, unless there is a house behind his backstop. When you say he shoots 60-90 minutes makes me think you are mostly worried with the noise. As long as it is safe I would say its his land and if he is doing it safe then let him alone

Like I mentioned, no one will care until/unless something goes wrong. I have neighbors who hunt adjacent to me for deer, rabbit, and bird for hours on end, season after season, but they have hundreds of acres. This guy has 1 1/2 if I'm being generous, maybe closer to 1 acre. So it's not the noise.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast