Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Bald eagle visit

Had a mature bald eagle visit me at work yesterday.
    I heard a woodpecker and looked out the shelter door to see a huge Pileated Woodpecker on a tree about 50 ft away. As I was watching him a Bald Eagle glided up the access road clearing and landed on a branch overhanging the road.
    This is the third eagle I've seen since september. One at another work location and one while bow hunting.

It's always impressive to see how big these guys are.

I walked out to get the video and he flew about 20 feet above me.

To bad the cell phone video is so bad. Almost worthless..

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Bald eagle visit

Congrats on your sighting!

I you want to see more Eagles you should go to Jersey. They are all over the place. I've never seen a Bald Eagle on the East Coast (unless it was a youngin', which I would not be able to tell) but a friend of mine sees them frequently in Bordentown, NJ.

(Allegheny County)

Jersey just has mutated pigeons

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by CG1492 View Post
    Jersey just has mutated pigeons
    As well as the largest watershed, pristine aquifer, and forest on the East Coast from Virginia to Boston!

(Susquehanna County)

There a beautiful bird. But an aside it's a Federal Offense to have an eagle feather. Even a native American has to get a permit to have an eagle feather and can only get it for religious purpose's

The PA game warden in Northeastern PA tells me its illegal to have a feather from any bird of pray.

(Allegheny County)

I didn't know that, about it being a federal offense to possess feathers from birds of prey... So, hawks would fall under that catagory? I've collected many hawk feathers over the years.

(Chester County)

Very cool to see.

A few days ago I was driving home on a back road and saw a squirrel running on top of a powerline. A second later a huge redtail hawk flew down and carried it off.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    I didn't know that, about it being a federal offense to possess feathers from birds of prey... So, hawks would fall under that catagory? I've collected many hawk feathers over the years.
    I'll come visit you in the federal penitentiary.........

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

(Washington County)

I saw two bald eagles, or one bald eagle twice, in Smethport, McKean county about 2 years ago. There were other reports of a nesting pair in the area. Their size is VERY impressive. Glad the founding fathers chose that instead of the turkey for our symbol!

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Susquehanna County)

Can Native Americans collect their own eagle feathers?

No. As a result of years of habitat loss from urbanization, exposure to chemicals used in agriculture and animal husbandry, and poaching, populations of bald eagles, the national symbol, and golden eagles have been reduced in numbers. In an effort to protect these birds, the United States Congress passed the Bald Eagle Protection Act in 1940, and later amended the Act in 1962 to include protection for golden eagles. This Act prohibits take, transport, sale, barter, trade, import and export, and possession of eagles, making it illegal for anyone to collect eagles and eagle parts without a permit.

When eagles are received at the National Eagle Repository, condition of each eagle and their feathers is noted, and the species and age is recorded.

How does the National Eagle Repository get the eagles?

The National Eagle Repository serves as a collection point for dead eagles. Most of the dead golden and bald eagles received by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) have been salvaged by State and Federal wildlife personnel. Many of these birds have died as a result of electrocution, vehicle collisions, unlawful shooting and trapping, or from natural causes.

The eagles are shipped to the National Eagle Repository at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge in Denver, Colorado. Each bird is assigned a number for tracking and accountability purposes, and information about each bird is entered into a database. The condition of each eagle and their feathers is noted, and the species and age is recorded. If part of the bird or its feathers are missing, damaged, or broken, FWS staff may add replacement parts from another bird to make it complete. (The recipient is notified when this is the case prior to shipping). The bird is then stored in a freezer until it is ready to ship, usually within 3-5 days.

Who can obtain an eagle from the Repository?

Only enrolled members of a Federally recognized tribe can obtain a permit from the FWS, authorizing them to receive and possess eagle feathers from the Repository for religious purposes.

How can I obtain an eagle?

The following must be presented when applying for an eagle possession permit:

A completed application obtained from your nearest FWS Regional Migratory Bird Permit Office.
    Certification of tribal enrollment from the Bureau of Indian Affairs or Tribal Enrollment Office.
    On the application, you must specify whether you want a golden or bald eagle, a mature or immature bird, a whole bird or specific parts, or have no preference.

You must provide a current telephone number so the Repository staff can contact you by telephone when your order is ready to ship. Any changes in your address and/or telephone number must be submitted by you to your local FWS Regional Migratory Bird Permit Office to keep your file updated.

Eagles are shipped to applicants within 3-5 days after the eagles are received at the National Eagle Repository.

How long is the wait to obtain an eagle?

Requests for eagles are filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Eagles are typically kept at the Repository just long enough to allow FWS personnel to contact the next applicant on the waiting list, usually 3-5 days. Because of the large demand and the limited supply, applicants can expect to wait about 3 and one half years for a whole Bird order to be filled. Approximately 95% of the orders are for whole eagles. Currently, there are over 5000 people on the waiting list for approximately 1000 eagles the Repository receives each year.

May I apply for more than one eagle?

Again, due to the large demand and the limited supply, each applicant can apply for only one whole eagle or specific parts equivalent to one bird (i.e. two wings, one tail, two talons) at a time. Once your request has been filled, you may reapply to receive another eagle.

May I sell objects made from the eagles feathers?

No. Feathers or parts of bald or golden eagles and other migratory birds may NOT be sold, purchased, bartered, or traded. They may, however, be handed down to family members, from generation to generation, or from one Native American to another for religious purposes. Native Americans CAN NOT give eagle feathers or parts to non-Native Americans as a gift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast