Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steyr M9A1

(Cumberland County)

Default Steyr M9A1

I searched and found some discussion on this gun in here - does anyone own one ? I'm intrigued by this one. Nice looks, from what I've read mostly positive reviews, Austrian with Glock-like trigger. Most are selling them for $500 - $650 but one of the guys I buy from has them new for $419 - I think I want, but thought I'd check in her to see if anyone owns one ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Steyr M9A1

i had a steyr back when everyone was trying to dump them and they went for $250ish. really nice pistol, had a great time with it. they also make a very nice suppressor host!
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Cumberland County)

I hear there were some "bad/recall" batches and you have to be careful to get the ones outside the recall range - the one's I'm looking at are "good" models

(Lawrence County)

I have an M4. Tight gun and very accurate. Trap sights are wicked fast in close, but harder to use at longer ranges. No aftermarket, but great customer support.

Lycanwhatelse?thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Blair County)

Guns&Ammo reviewed the new models in their last issue (or the one before it). It was a very favorable review, though they no longer use the trapezoid sights-- if you really want those, look for an older model.

There's also the C9, which is smaller (think G17/G19 comparison). The accuracy difference between the two is almost negligible; if you're looking to CC, give it a thought.

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

I've got an M9A1 safe queen with the trap sights. The gun shoots well, fits my hand nicely, but I almost never shoot it. The lack of easily available holsters have turned it into a very well oiled paperweight. The only problem I ever had with it was with the trigger, it felt a little crunchy occasionally during the first few hundred rounds.

Neat pistol, but I'd rather have a GB!

I have an M9A1 and have been using it in USPSA Production division. I really like the gun. The trigger is unbelieveable and the trapezoidal sights are really quick to pick-up. The ergonomics are also very good. That's the good - but before you plunk down your cash, there are a couple things you should know.

The latest model is still designated the M-A1. They didn't change the model designation after the last round of upgrades. There are two ways to tell if you are getting the latest version. Only the newest ones have a cross-pin through the slide, just slightly below and behind the rear sight dovetail. This pin is used to improve the trigger. Older models did not have this pin and trigger pull was heavier. In order to add this into the fire control mechanism, Steyr had to delete the loaded chamber indicator (LCR), which was a pin protruding from the rear of the slide (longitudinally) when a round was chambered. Both old and new versions have a barrel-hood cut-out so you can check chamber status - the LCR was redundant. Those are the two methods to distinguish old from new - both designated M-A1. New guns have the cross-pin and do not have the LCR.

All that being said, these guns have a history of FTE malfunctions. It seems there is no rhyme nor reason as to which guns will function right out of the box and which will fall prey to the FTE malady. Fortunately they have excellent factory support and the standard response to FTE complaints is to send out a new extractor - which works most of the time. Beyond that, the gun should go back.

The inexpensive one you saw was part of a batch from a cancelled military contract from some mid-eastern country. These are 2004 slides on newer frames, and are therefore slightly more prone to the FTE failures, plus the triggers are not as good as the newest version because these are equipped with LCR's. These were imported by PW Arms out of Washington state and are so rollmarked (as required by law) on the slide. Since these were not brought in through Steyr USA, I am unsure of their warranty status. My feeling is that Steyr would support them up to a point, but it would be best to call Steyr and find out for certain before purchasing one of these cancelled military contract guns. They have been around for awhile and several of the big Internet retailers have them. Going price is usually appx $399 - $425, gun only.

New M-1A's can generally be had for $575 to $600 OTD. Magazines are readily available - I got 15 rd mags from Robertson's Trading Post (most likely part of the military contract guns - take-outs from guns being shipped to ban states). They were only a dollar less than from Steyr, but they had flat-rate shipping - $5 for as many as you want. Mags are by Mecgar and appear very similar to S&W M&P mags.

I bought a new M9-A1 and shot it for the very first time at back-to-back USPSA matches. It was abyssmal. I only made it, malfunction free, through 2 stages out of 11 without having multiple episode of FTE's. Called Steyr and they sent me a new extractor. I installed it and the gun has run perfectly ever since. My friend bought one of the military guns, and has, thus far, only range tested it, but, also thus far, has had no malfunctions. Mine is now somewhere north of 300 perfect rounds with no problem. I will be shooting it at a match again this weekend at Central Jersey.

Holsters and mag pouches are readily available from Blade Tech. Other makers also make holsters for these guns - you can check out the forum at Steyrclub.com for makers.

I love my Steyr, but you need to enter into this with your eyes wide open and your expectations realistic. Buy a new gun from Steyr and know you have factory support (as well as the great trigger), or save some bucks and, who knows?

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Looks and sounds like a great gun but you can't have a reputation of a call back or inferior batch of guns and no reall ADVERTISEMENT. And think you can compete with the likes of Glock or XDM or M&P it seems like the Steyr would have given either a run if not for the bad reputation coming out the door. They seem to make great military weapons. M9A1 looks like a gun I'd like to try/have.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks Pizza Bob for the great info., and everyone else ! Yes, the one I'm considering is from the cancelled military contract. Thought $419, two mags, case and all the goodies was just too good to pass on. I'm going to give it some final thought though hearing about the fte issues - decisions, decisions

(Westmoreland County)

I've sold a half-dozen or so of the PW Arms pistols over the last few months and no one has reported any negative issues with them. My son got one from me as well and has run several hundred rounds through it. Again, no negative feedback. I'm sure he would have reported anything to me. Good luck with yours as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast