Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Pro series mod 60 by S&W

Is a 3 inch pro series j-frame any good? Are there any holsters for them? Is this particular model any good, bad, in different?
    Have you called, faxed, or emailed your reps today!!!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Pro series mod 60 by S&W

Forgot is out the door a good price on one
    Last edited by chrmm22sr; March 18th, 2012 at 11:15 PM.

(Pike County)

I Don't have the pro series. I do have 3" model 60 with adjustable sights. It's a very nice gun. I shoot it almost as well as I do my K frames. I like the 3" barrel. I think you will like it.

I like leather. Simply Rugged makes nice holsters at a good price. I use them for OWB carry. For IWB I use Side Guard Holsters. They also are top notch.

A buddy of mine likes his Model 60. If you're going to shoot .357, an all steel gun makes a lot of sense, as opposed to an airweight. There are holsters out there, but not as many as for 2" J frames.

I believe the "Pro" features on the 60 are sights and grips. Some of the other Pro series guns have porting, which I'd rather do without.

Quote Originally Posted by chrmm22sr View Post
    Is a 3 inch pro series j-frame any good? Are there any holsters for them? Is this particular model any good, bad, in different?
    Depends on it's intended use. Unlike a lot of J-frames, this one really isn't suitable as a BUG, with its 3" barrel, full-length grips and adjustable sights. The only practical use that I can think of for it is for people with very small hands.

I was helping a young lady with exactly that problem. She had already determined that she wanted a revolver and it had to be .357 mag. The problem was finding one that fit her. Even the regular 3" model 60 (full underlug) did not fit her, as it came from the factory. The regular model had synthetic grips (Uncle Mike's?) that covered the back strap. That added slightly to the LOP, which, because of her small hands meant she had to rotate her grip to get the pad of her index finger on the trigger. With the wood grips on the pro - which did not cover the backstrap, it fit her like a glove.

I suppose if you wanted a small .357 that you intended to carry holstered on your waist (inside or out) the 3" 60 would be a good choice, but its uses are limited.

BTW, $500, NIB OTD sounds like a mistake. IIRC, MSRP is $779 (or close). Usual street price is in the $650 - $675 range. $500 is most likely below cost and a screaming deal.

Good luck.

Adios,

PIzza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Lehigh County)

Im sorry used
    Last edited by chrmm22sr; March 18th, 2012 at 11:15 PM.

(Centre County)

Lightbulb Re: Pro series mod 60 by S&W

For $500, if it's in great shape with box, papers, etc, I'd jump on it. Like call there right now and put down a deposit. If it doesn't work out for you, you can sell it to me for $475.......

Jeff from Gunblast.com likes it (although, I never saw a negative review). A little info on a holster there....

http://www.gunblast.com/SW-60Pro.htm
    Last edited by FLICK; March 6th, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Philadelphia County)

I really like the Pro 60. I handled both versions with a 3" barrel and the Pro does feel better, however for carry, and call me vain, I think the Pro is too purdy. I am a sucker for slab sided barrels. But I am also practically advising the regular 60 over the Pro for a few reasons. Firstly, the regular 60 can be had in a 2" barrel version, which is nice for carry but poor for complete powder burn (I recommend 3" minimum for .357). Secondly, the regular 60 will have more holster options granted, I do not know whether or not the Pro will fit the regular holsters, but I like holsters tailored to the guns not the other way around. Thirdly, the regular's stainless steel would likely hold up better to the daily beating of carry as opposed to the Pro, whose stainless steel is kinda brushed polished and would probably show scratches more. Granted, since they're both SS they can be repaired easily enough so that point is just a personal preference.

Ultimately the choice is yours, and I can say that I definitely want to get both at some point, and use them for different purposes but I'm quirky that way.

All the best and good luck with whatever you decide to do!

(Lehigh County)

Here it is i got it and I was thinking it may be to damn nice to carry . I have a 442-1 no lock I carry daily so Im not to worried about it getting wore out in carry 90% time im at work and carry a glock 22 the other time at home or I carry my 442
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chrmm22sr; March 7th, 2012 at 12:30 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrmm22sr View Post
    Here it is i got it and I was thinking it may be to damn nice to carry . I have a 442-1 no lock I carry daily so Im not to worried about it getting wore out in carry 90% time im at work and carry a glock 22 the other time at home or I carry my 442
    Well, if you decide it's too pretty I'll take it off your hands.

Lord I like the way that thing looks.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast