Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Let us say that I would build or buy this AR? What then?

Okay, here are my requirements.
    5.56mm NATO chamber
    20" Gov't or medium profile, cold hammer forged, 4150, chrome lined barrel (That last part [chrome] is an absolute must)
    "full auto" BCG with a fully shrouded firing pin and a properly staked gas key.
    M4 feed ramps

Those are the absolute must haves
    Here are the negotiable items

Preferably a monolithic reciever/handguard
    decent two stage military trigger. (Yes, I know there are better pulls out there)
    A2 flash hider.

I would like to know if anyone makes this rifle or if I have to buy parts and build.
    If I have to buy parts and build, which parts?
    Please advise.

Thanks in advance
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Let us say that I would build or buy this AR? What then?

Precision Firearms might have something you need. If not, they could definately make it for you.

(Philadelphia County)

just curious, but why do you think that chrome lining is a must?

melonite/isonite seems to be a much better way to go... unless i'm really missing something.

(Centre County)

Go browse around dpms's website. They have a lot of custom features and you can build a rifle to your specs. Im not sure how long their wait time is, but it doesnt hurt to check it out.

(Blair County)

price range would help. Mono upper will be the price killer. The other thing is do you have any expeirence with ars or building them. This will change your options as well.

Do you want a Mono upper or would a good handguard with a top rail serve your purpose.

ok here is the list as I see it.

5.56mm NATO chamber (good start, you could also be just as well off with a wylde chamber)
    20" Gov't or medium profile, cold hammer forged, 4150, chrome lined barrel (gov/med profile whatever floats your boat, CHF is useless to civies, and chrome lined is nearly as pointless)
    M4 feed ramps (why the FA bcg? it hasn't been proven to be stronger, with the proper loctite/torque, staking is pointless, it was only introduced to keep GI's from taking the damn things off when cleaning, without being able to properly torque them when putting them back on. and M4 feedramps are pointless if your not using it full auto, though almost everything comes with them now)

Me, I'd build it. get the parts you want and it usually comes out cheaper in the end if you watch the EE on arfcom or m4carbine. And at the end of it you know every single part in your weapon, and know quite a bit more about it than someone that bought one off the shelf.

(Blair County)

look at raineir arms as well
    they can build it if they dont have it. It sounds as if you want a pretty high end gun.
    here is a mege mono upper. Pretty pricey. http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1967

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    decent two stage military trigger. (Yes, I know there are better pulls out there)
    Issue triggers are single stage. That being said I'd look into the Geissle SSA or LWRCi Enhanced Trigger if you're looking for a decent trigger that will stand up to abuse. If you can tell us some more about what you have budgeted & your planned usage we may be able to help more with suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinhigh View Post
    5.56mm NATO chamber (good start, you could also be just as well off with a wylde chamber) True, but the 5.56 chamber is more than adequate and more commonly available. Barring any further info from the OP either would probably be sufficient
    20" Gov't or medium profile, cold hammer forged, 4150, chrome lined barrel (gov/med profile whatever floats your boat, CHF is useless to civies, and chrome lined is nearly as pointless)Uhhh, how do you figure that? A hammer forged barrel will outlast a standard rifled barrel for not much more money. How is Chrome lining pointless? Do you LIKE wasting time cleaning excessive fouling from a barrel that will wear out faster?
    M4 feed ramps (why the FA bcg? it hasn't been proven to be stronger, with the proper loctite/torque, staking is pointless, it was only introduced to keep GI's from taking the damn things off when cleaning, without being able to properly torque them when putting them back on. and M4 feedramps are pointless if your not using it full auto, though almost everything comes with them now) Really? I've never heard of anyone who uses a FA BC because it's "stronger." People tend to prefer them as they help slow down the cyclic rate of a rifle aiding reliable extraction by retarding the bolt unlock due to their greater mass as compared to a SA BC. How do you figure loctite stands up to the heat from the gasses blown through the gas key? Red Loctite? What happens when you need to replace a damaged gas key? Staking is done to ensure that the bolts don't back out after having been properly torqued not some mythical private with his magical allen key. I have heard of Rockset being used here, but never Loctite, and I still wouldn't recommend the Rockset.
    If you don't know what you're posting about, please, just don't.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

heh, sure I don't know what I'm talking about. piss your money away on pointless sh!t I don't care. I have worked on M16's for many many years and the only ones that I ever saw with a wore out barrel were the training ones at Lackland AFB, some of those guns had estimated 60k rounds through them and they still didn't shoot bad, minute of person at 100 meters. FA BCG's are just that only useful for FA use to slow the shot to shot cycle down, your trigger finger is slower, by allot than a FA weapon. Every reason that I have seen posted about using a FA BCG in a Semi is because they think its "stronger" it isn't. A civie not building a dedicated competition weapon will never wear out a barrel, why spend the extra money on something you will never use. Chrome chambers are useful, chrome barrels are not. let me repeat this, you will never wear out a barrel with occasional range visits and shooting groundhogs. If you never want to clean you barrel go with SS, not chrome. The milspec for gaskeys is 56 inch pounds, bottom sealed with permatex gasket sealer and then staked. the torque and the permatex keep it there, the staking keeps grubby fingers off it.

so, if you don't know shit, don't post it. see i can do that too.

edit: and I just looked it up, permatex is good to 650F before it starts to break down.
    Last edited by flyinhigh; March 6th, 2012 at 12:20 AM.

If I build it piece by piece, price really isn't an issue. Put it this way, I'd buy a Noveske... If they made what I wanted. Not that I have any particular attraction to that brand. Just that I know they are quite pricey. That does not mean that I am blind to value, just that I'm not really too concerned with price for the moment.

As for use, I see many cases of PMC 62 gr. X-Tac in this thing's future. Its going to get shot... A lot.

Why must I have a 20" Gov't or Medium contour, chrome lined, cold hammer forged, 4150 barrel with a 5.56 NATO chamber? First and most importantly because I prefer it. Second because I want a rifle not a carbine. More explanation is not necessary.

As for the BCG, I am looking to slow the BC speed down a bit from the lighter weight BC. I have shot them both. If you are paying attention, you can definitely feel the difference. I also think that the heavier bolt carrier groups are easier on the brass.

I could go either way on the monolithic receiver/handguard, it is a matter of feel since I won't be dumping a huge amount of money on optics. That said, I like the solid feel of the monolithic carbines I have shot quite a bit. Balance is going to be a deciding factor too. I prefer to have a good bit of weight up front in a rifle.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast