Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: 'Get it and forget it' HD gun people rant . . .

[QUOTE=Python73;1923628]Disagree with the OP pretty much entirely. A gun is a tool. We the gun_folk really need to get over the whole "OMG it's a gun" thing if we ever expect any positive changes that are talked about on this forum. The proper answer in my mind is "Picking a good home defense gun is a long conversation with lots of variables, but at the end of the day ANY gun is better than no gun."

Just remind yourself that a gun is simply a tool. All of the restrictions and bullshit associated with guns are a combination of fear, misunderstanding, and misplaced blame. Stop participating in that cycle of nonsense.[/QUOTE]

I can respect that. I actually agree with the last part but I don't think what I'm saying is giving anyone a reason to fear guns, I just want them to understand the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Don't give information. Invite him to the range. Shooting a firearm has more
    of an impact than explaining about shooting a firearm.
    That's just not realistic to think that I can take every person who asks me about guns to the range with me. I do try to get people out there with me, I even invite them over my place to handle my guns, get some instruction but I'm not going to drag them there kicking and screaming. You can't teach people who aren't willing to learn.

(Erie County)

No one implied you take someone kicking and screaming to the range, and you
    don’t have to take everyone who inquires. If they are an adult, they can make
    the decision to go on their own, as well as purchase a firearm.

The point of my post, tell the person to go shoot a handgun, try it out, before
    buying it. If they don’t want to do that, it’s on them, not you. You ask for thoughts,
    don’t be defensive if the responses you get counter your way of thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Allegheny County)

I think that it is a great idea for everyone who buys a gun to have some type of training.
    Although, should everyone who feels the need to protect themselves be required to attend formal lessons?
    If Obama said that all firearms owners must attend formal training before purchasing any firearm, I would like to see your reaction then.
    I know people who have not practiced in decades who I would not like to be in a gunfight with, and I have seen people at the range where I would feel safest standing behind the bulleye.
    In all reality, we are not all snipers or Navy Seals.
    Sometimes getting a loved one to carry a firearm for self protection is a victory in it's self.
    I say train who you can, and pass on good habits to others.

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Recruiter View Post
    Why? Opie was a crack shot.
    And "Opies" think they will be a crack shot right off the bat like Opie was. They live in Mayberry, where just the sight of a pistol is more than enough to send the most viscous attacker running for the hills. Better than "Dumbfucks who dont have half a clue about what they dont know".

There are two different ways to interpret the "need" for training. One is the idea of a legal need, as some form of pre-requirement. This is bunk and should never be law. The other is the moral obligation to know what you should be doing, and why, when you actively defend your home with a firearm. This is for the protection of innocents in your vicinity (family members, neighbors, etc),and your own legal protection, meaning knowing when you can and cannot use lethal force. The only area that has more myths than home defense in the firearms world are caliber wars.

A minimum of training is cheap compared to the price of the firearm, can save your life and/or financial well-being, and c'mon, its actually pretty fun!

Unfortunately I fall into this category, just because I haven't had the chance to go to a range yet since I got my guns and try them out; partially because I have no idea what I'm doing in terms of range conduct and don't want to make an ass out of myself, and partly because I don't have membership anywhere. :/

I know not everyone has the time or inclination to take an Opie to the range but I do so as often as I can. Usually it's not even a new owner, it tends to be never shot or shot once sorts. If an interest is expressed, particularly an interest towards a purchase, I invite them to the range. That is where they start to figure out the gravity of ownership. There is more to it than buying a gun. At the range we start with the usual, the 4 Rules, sight pictures, blah,blah,blah......and along the way I enhance the curiosity with the other facts, such as legal ramifications of ownership and SD uses. I always stress getting a class or two with the gun. But after that it's on them to proceed as they wish. I feel I've done what I can without being an asshole about it.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Go To The Range

Quote Originally Posted by AK47sForAll View Post
    Unfortunately I fall into this category, just because I haven't had the chance to go to a range yet since I got my guns and try them out; partially because I have no idea what I'm doing in terms of range conduct and don't want to make an ass out of myself, and partly because I don't have membership anywhere. :/
    I give you credit for being honest.

With that attitude though, how are you gonna get the nerve to go to the range? Can you go with somebody who belongs to or goes to a range and observe what everybody is doing?

Looks like you are into this forum pretty well, so you should have a wealth of information going for ya. I don't think you'd make an ass of yourself as long as you know the basics of gun safety... finger off trigger till on target pointing downrange and range is clear to shoot... not "sweeping"" others on the firing line with the barrel... if an outdoor range, gun down with action open if someone is downrange to hang targets etc.

It is awkward in the beginning... seems like everyone else is so smooth and cool, but everybody has had their first time somewhere.

I know gun "snobs" at a trap range still bother me to this day. Show up with anything less than an heirloom quality shotgun and some folks can make you feel less than welcome. Seems they don't like autoloaders, or God forbid... a black shotgun.

It does feel good though when you outshoot them on the line.

Take your guns to a range. You'll do OK.

L T C

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by AK47sForAll View Post
    I would start with going to an NRA First Steps class. They will teach you all you will need to know from gun safety to range etiquette. If you're lucky enough to do a one-on-one class you'll be able to ask plenty of questions. I think in most cases the instructor will take you to a local range so you can check out what that range is like...an added bonus. When I got back into shooting a couple years ago after about a 15 year hiatus (I lived in NJ, Spain, and then MA...not the most gun friendly environments) I took a local First Steps pistol and then a First Steps AR-15 course in NJ. Both classes helped me get some real good habits plus gave me the confidence to do and try a lot of things on my own. In fact, I would recommend this class for anyone similar to the person the OP was talking about. For me the classes I took were a full day for each course.

Check out the websites of some of your local ranges to see if there is any First Steps instruction or ask around in the forum here. Chances are someone can recommend a good instructor in your area.

It's called the Constitution, and for now it's a beautiful thing. If people choose to not get training that's up to them. Not smart, but I wouldn't want it any other way. If you open the door for any kind of qualification to own a gun you know they will make it so difficult no one will be able to own one.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Generally I just recommend pepper spray to people when they indicate they arent willing to invest in any sort of training. Self defense training isn't just learning how to shoot, but when to shoot.

I had a friend get mistakenly shot by that hypothetical "old lady with a 38". At least with pepper spray you can't kill anyone with your accepted level of negligence.
    Last edited by vicious; March 6th, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast