Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Lightbulb BP conversion cylinder question

When you install a 45 colt conversion cylinder on a Remington 1858 does that make it a modern firearm or "un-antique it"? I only ask this because I'm 20 and don't want to get into any excrement for doing this. I have no felonies or anything like that. An other reason I'm asking is because I was going to open carry it. Meaning that when I'm driving the pistol will be locked in the trunk with the loaded 45colt cylinder in my locked glove box. IMHO I believe that the 1858 only becomes a "firearm" when the cylinder is installed so transporting it in it's BP configuration shouldn't be an issue. So let's hear your opinions

Default Re: BP conversion cylinder question

Quote Originally Posted by Yachera View Post
    When you install a 45 colt conversion cylinder on a Remington 1858 does that make it a modern firearm or "un-antique it"? I only ask this because I'm 20 and don't want to get into any excrement for doing this. I have no felonies or anything like that. An other reason I'm asking is because I was going to open carry it. Meaning that when I'm driving the pistol will be locked in the trunk with the loaded 45colt cylinder in my locked glove box. IMHO I believe that the 1858 only becomes a "firearm" when the cylinder is installed so transporting it in it's BP configuration shouldn't be an issue. So let's hear your opinions
    Yes, installing a conversion cylinder makes it a "modern" firearm, subject to all the same laws as it you bought a brand new S&W double action revolver.

That said, be sure you aren't confusing laws. IANAL, but I do know that although BP revolvers can be bought and sold without an FFL because they are considered "antiques" (or something like that), the law regarding carrying them and transporting them may not offer similar relief. In short, I don't know if it's legal to transport a BP revolver in a vehicle if you don't have a LTCF.

Also note that the information that comes with one of the .45 conversion cylinders for the 1858 Remington goes a step further. The Kenny Howells conversion, the one with the removable back plate on the cylinder, requires that the cylinder be removed to reload -- period. The other conversion (the name of which escapes me) has an open back and a loading gate, and it allows reloading without removing it from the pistol -- IF you enlarge the recess on the right side of the frame. I have read dissenting opinions, but the documentation for that conversion says that if you open up that recess to allow direct loading of cartridges, the gun permanently becomes a "modern" firearm.

I'm not saying that's correct, but I mention it because it's out there.
    Last edited by Greywolf; March 4th, 2012 at 02:58 PM.

(York County)

Unhappy Re: BP conversion cylinder question

The two conversions: No. 1 made by R & D (remove cylinder to reload)
    and No. 2 is Kirst (modified frame like a SA).

Since I am not an attorney all I will say is that I have been told that once either is on a gun, it is legally a modern handgun and all handgun rules apply.

How about waiting another year and get a CCW permit once legally of age? It sure beats seeing the inside of a booking room for getting busted by trying to "beat" the law.
    Last edited by Ecclectic Collector; March 4th, 2012 at 07:22 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachera View Post
    I am not sure exactly what the laws are regarding what you want to do hear so I can't comment on that.
    What I can offer is some advise, please be very carefull with any decision you make. Make absolutly sure you are within the law. Something like this can bite you in the ass for the rest of your life if you get it wrong.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Jefferson County)

A conversion cylinder creates a Title I firearm.

Even as a cap & ball revolver you could still have issues with driving around in PA. While it is legal for someone 18yo to possess a standard firearm, an "antique firearm" is treated as a "firearm" when it meets the measurement definitions of a "firearm" when in respects to concealed carry.

Even though the law only mentions "concealed weapons", it references 6106 which also includes vehicle transporting.

It is very possible to become a prohibited person for life. Your best bet is to get a Maine permit before doing such.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6118: Antique firearms
    (a) General rule.--This subchapter shall not apply to antique firearms.
    (b) Exception.--Subsection (a) shall not apply to the extent that such antique firearms, reproductions or replicas of firearms are concealed weapons as provided in section 6106 (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license), nor shall it apply to the provisions of section 6105 (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms) if such antique firearms, reproductions or replicas of firearms are suitable for use.
    (c) Definition.--As used in this section, the term "antique firearm" means:
    (1) Any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock or percussion cap type of ignition system.
    (2) Any firearm manufactured on or before 1898.
    (3) Any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (2) if such replica:
    (i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire fixed ammunition; or
    (ii) uses rimfire or conventional center fire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!