Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help

(Berks County)

Default Need some help

Being that I just got my first gun, what should I get now besides a cleaning kit? Should I buy more ammo, or should I get stuff for the range?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Need some help

A range bag might be needed. Some ear protection, safety glasses, staple gun.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Bucks County)

Eyes,ears,range bag,ammo,depanding where you go for a range is depanding of others .

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Training. It doesn't have to be formal, but it should start with safety. Make sure that your trainer is knowledgeable and focused on proper technique, not blasting everything in sight because it's fun.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
    Training. It doesn't have to be formal, but it should start with safety. Make sure that your trainer is knowledgeable and focused on proper technique, not blasting everything in sight because it's fun.
    Blasting everything comes when you are properly trained.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Draxton Smitz View Post
    Blasting everything comes when you are properly trained.
    And for this you need lots of ammo. Buy it by the case, it's cheaper that way

(Cumberland County)

Ammo, mags, ammo, mags, ammo.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(York County)

NRA Intro course.

Don't get tacti-cool and drop hundreds of dollars on shooting glasses and range bags and electronic hearing protection. You're just getting started. Keep it simple and cheap for now, until you figure out what you feel deserves money. I still buy cheapo safety glasses from the hardware store. I invest in good electronic hearing protection though. That's my preference. For now use what you have. Turn an old backpack into a "range bag" and sign up for the next available NRA school. As for ammo, stick to what you need. There's no sense in dropping $200+ on a 1000 round case if you find out the range fees are too expensive for you to actually use it.

Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg because he wasn't properly trained in safe handgun use. Don't be Plaxico. Get trained and be safe.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by hss.strat View Post
    NRA Intro course.

Don't get tacti-cool and drop hundreds of dollars on shooting glasses and range bags and electronic hearing protection. You're just getting started. Keep it simple and cheap for now, until you figure out what you feel deserves money. I still buy cheapo safety glasses from the hardware store. I invest in good electronic hearing protection though. That's my preference. For now use what you have. Turn an old backpack into a "range bag" and sign up for the next available NRA school. As for ammo, stick to what you need. There's no sense in dropping $200+ on a 1000 round case if you find out the range fees are too expensive for you to actually use it.

Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg because he wasn't properly trained in safe handgun use. Don't be Plaxico. Get trained and be safe.
    Electronic muffs can be had for $30 and are something I always suggest to a new shooter since they can hear range commands or advice of the person helping them learn to shoot.
    Having a new shooter plug their ears full and be oblivious to the world around them is not a good idea IMO.

OP, get some good shooting gear that will last you. I have the same pair of electronic muffs I bought almost 15 years ago and the same set of glasses with interchangeable lenses for the past 10 or so. My range bag is a Galiti and it's 20 years old at least.

And sorry, but buying in bulk is the way to go if you plan on shooting and can afford it all at once. Spending $15 at the local walmart when the same ammo would be $11 if bought in bulk is a no brainer, that leaves you an extra $40+ a case to use for range fees (if applicable) or more ammo.

Oh, get some training/help...

Then stock up on the spare mags, etc...or buy another gun.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by hss.strat View Post

Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg because he is an idiot.

Getting some training is not a bad idea. But it will not stop you from shooting yourself.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast