Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best .45 ACP FMJ round?

Yeah yeah, I know, FMJ for self defense doesn't make much sense when there are a slew of hollow points available. However, I've already got my choice hollow points stocked away, and I like having a variety of ammo on hand, so does anyone have any insight on good .45 ACP FMJ rounds for self defense?

The obvious reason would be for barrier penetration and the like. There are lots of wooden objects in my home for intruders to hide behind, and having a few FMJ magazines loaded up would be handy.

Thanks PAFOA.
    Slaves don't own arms; free men do.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Best .45 ACP FMJ round?

the hollows points will work just fine.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Centre County)

I would say no to FMJ as defence ammo.
    Issue is not with iver object penetration and what not.
    But with FMJ, you will be unable to dump all its energy on the Target, because projectile will not expand to stop.
    If you shoot the but dude with it, he'll likely die from shock of losing too much blood, but NOt before he'll do some harm to you or your love one.
    I would say try Vertical defence ammo. They seem to penetrate.better the normal JHP.
    But if you shoot some through barricades, you may find your self having hard time convincing the DA that your life was in immediate Denver to justify shooting
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    Issue is not with iver object penetration and what not....
    If you shoot the but dude with it...
    I would say try Vertical defence ammo. They seem to penetrate.better the normal JHP.....
    convincing the DA that your life was in immediate Denver to justify shooting
    Hrrrmm. Spell check fail. I hate being in immediate Denver. I always preferred the suburbs.

And stick with the JHP's. They'll go through wooden objects just fine. If in doubt take a couple 2x4s to the range with ya next time and see how your ammo works. Real world testing is always fun.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; March 1st, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Chester County)

Load your mags with hollow points. If you doubt there penetration through wood, test a few out on a 2x4 at the range. I doubt you have furniture that thick.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Chester County)

Try to find some Match grade 45 FMJ... federal premium maybe?
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Allegheny County)

Despite all the comments about FMJ being inadequate, it served the original design for 100 years with distinction. Better rounds available? Absolutely. Oth, my Colt's shoot FMJs so well, feed so well, that it is what I carry. Sometimes Winchester white box or whatever is available at the local GS. I shoot lead 230 round nose that approximates the shape of the FMJs. I had two other .45 acp pistols, a S&W 4516 and Sig P220 that absoulutely loved the FMJ shape.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    Yeah yeah, I know, FMJ for self defense doesn't make much sense when there are a slew of hollow points available. However, I've already got my choice hollow points stocked away, and I like having a variety of ammo on hand, so does anyone have any insight on good .45 ACP FMJ rounds for self defense?

The obvious reason would be for barrier penetration and the like. There are lots of wooden objects in my home for intruders to hide behind, and having a few FMJ magazines loaded up would be handy.

Thanks PAFOA.
    There are no good round nose self defense FMJ rounds. They are all equally inneffective.

If you want FMJ, get one with a good wide flat nose meplat on it.

And by the way, the Philly Police just shot a guy in my dad's rental property the other day with 2 .45 JHP Federal HST hollowpoints (both chest shots), and the guy still had to be tazed to be stopped. The bullets had no immediate effect.

There are no magic bullets.

A typical .45 JHP will easily penetrate a 2x4.
    Last edited by Valorius; March 2nd, 2012 at 07:59 AM.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    There are no good round nose self defense FMJ rounds. They are all equally inneffective.

If you want FMJ, get one with a good wide flat nose meplat on it.

And by the way, the Philly Police just shot a guy in my dad's rental property the other day with 2 .45 JHP Federal HST hollowpoints (both chest shots), and the guy still had to be tazed to be stopped. The bullets had no immediate effect.

There are no magic bullets.

A typical .45 JHP will easily penetrate a 2x4.
    Ohh, come on... Everybody knows that only the .45ACP should be used for self defense, it is the only round that will drop a BG in his tracks, they read it in a magazine and that's what Cooper and Ayoob says so it has to be the truth...
    John Browning is rolling in his grave at your comment.

I'm in line with the group pushing the JHP ammo. Most of the professional advise this if not limited by conventions. Though its true 45 ball does have some effective self defense traits. It does not compare to the effectiveness of the JHP .45 such as the JHP 230,185 grain Corbon,

I have alternating Power ball (corbon product) with 230grain Corbon and last 4 hornady 230 grain jhp in all of my 45s.

I don't think there are any best unless you are talking Power ball which has the round ball shape. Other then that ANY QUAILTY NAME BRAND round ball will do from Winchester, Fedeeral, Reminington or SB.
    Last edited by Neko456; March 2nd, 2012 at 10:23 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast