Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Complete Lower Engraving?

My 10.5" upper should be delivered tomorrow for my first AR build. I haven't filed my paperwork yet but once I do and I get my stamp I was planning on buying a complete LMT Defender lower. Are there any companies that will engrave a completed lower because all that I can fid are companies that engrave stripped lowers???
    *S&W M&P9 *Remington 870 *Ruger 10/22 *CAI SAR-1 AKM

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Complete Lower Engraving?

Nope this is my first AR but thanks I'll check that out
    *S&W M&P9 *Remington 870 *Ruger 10/22 *CAI SAR-1 AKM

(Chester County)

Sorry I don't know who can engrave a complete lower, but it wouldn't hurt to contact LMT and see if they can register a lower as an SBR for you. Then they would be the maker and the factory engraving would be all you need. They sell SBRs, but I don't know how it works if it is just for a lower and you supply the upper.

The reason I suggest this is that you are going to need a lower to have the serial # to register it yourself. Then you run into constructive possession unless you have another virgin/pistol lower to accompany the short upper you will soon have.

(Westmoreland County)

Many places would likely do it if you remove the stock. It's mostly just because the full lower won't fit as easy on their machine or in the fixture. If you find a place that does laser engraving they can probably do the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBrody View Post
    Sorry I don't know who can engrave a complete lower, but it wouldn't hurt to contact LMT and see if they can register a lower as an SBR for you. Then they would be the maker and the factory engraving would be all you need. They sell SBRs, but I don't know how it works if it is just for a lower and you supply the upper.

The reason I suggest this is that you are going to need a lower to have the serial # to register it yourself. Then you run into constructive possession unless you have another virgin/pistol lower to accompany the short upper you will soon have.
    It unfortunately doesn't work that way. A lower even being complete isn't a SBR until a barreled action is on it with a barrel less than 16". It's impossible to register just a lower as a SBR from the factory unless you 'lie' and say it is of a certain overall length and barrel length. Some places have gotten in trouble for it in the past, but I'm sure some still would. LMT used to do this, I'm not sure if they'll allow it anymore since it's technically not correct to do.

Concerning constructive intent, it's really only applicable with machine guns. In speaking with other NFA dealers the ATF has never prosecuted ever for constructive intent of a SBR. They can't provide you were going to illegally build a SBR; unless you do. If you are concerned about it just keep the upper somewhere else besides the gun safe.
    Last edited by cds_arms; March 1st, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer